• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck_Naked</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok ... I dont know if this will make a difference ... but seeing that we have the same equipment this is what I do ... all I can tell you is try it this way and see if you get positive results.

Fill the tumbler up about 1.5 inches from the top with cold water
2 Tablespoons of Dawn concentrait
1/4 Teaspoon of lemonshine.
Add the brass in
Tumble for 4 hours.

I have used that mix on "nasty" brass and they come out like new.

</div></div>

I usually use a little less soap and a little more Lemi-Shine...

I also use hot water rather than cold...

4 Hours has been sufficient for me...

223rs.jpg
</div></div>

I tried hotwater but I had some discoloration occur-- I asked STI where I got my media and he said use cold... never had an issue...I think that maybe too much soap may be the issue here ... I know that when I had too much soap and not enough water the items did not come out clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck_Naked</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok ... I dont know if this will make a difference ... but seeing that we have the same equipment this is what I do ... all I can tell you is try it this way and see if you get positive results.

Fill the tumbler up about 1.5 inches from the top with cold water
2 Tablespoons of Dawn concentrait
1/4 Teaspoon of lemonshine.
Add the brass in
Tumble for 4 hours.

I have used that mix on "nasty" brass and they come out like new.

</div></div>

I usually use a little less soap and a little more Lemi-Shine...

I also use hot water rather than cold...

4 Hours has been sufficient for me...

223rs.jpg
</div></div>

I tried hotwater but I had some discoloration occur-- I asked STI where I got my media and he said use cold... never had an issue...I think that maybe too much soap may be the issue here ... I know that when I had too much soap and not enough water the items did not come out clean.</div></div>

Seeing that you are in AZ, the mineral content of the water may be a factor to consider as well. Lemi-Shine supposedly acts as a water softener, and you might benefit from upping the amount added as well...

I used my SS setup for the first time last night.

I am very impressed with the results.

Standard firings, and I can have the cases golden shiny on the outside in about 15 minutes. I think about 1.5-2 hours is needed to get the insides golden as well.

Im going to look for some nasty brass next time Im at the range. I would love to do a before and after shot on the most foul and discoloured brass I can find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used my SS setup for the first time last night.

Standard firings, and I can have the cases golden shiny on the outside in about 15 minutes. I think about 1.5-2 hours is needed to get the insides golden as well.

Im going to look for some nasty brass next time Im at the range. I would love to do a before and after shot on the most foul and discoloured brass I can find. </div></div>

It'll come out "coppery" looking.
I literly dug some out of the ground and ran them thru and that's what I got.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used my SS setup for the first time last night.

Im going to look for some nasty brass next time Im at the range. I would love to do a before and after shot on the most foul and discoloured brass I can find. </div></div>

It'll come out "coppery" looking.
I literly dug some out of the ground and ran them thru and that's what I got.
</div></div>

I recently got 750 pcs of 1969/1970 IVI 7.62 NATO brass that was swept up off the deck of a carrier in 1980. Lived in a bucket until 2011. I ran each batch of about 200 for 24 hours. They were coming out bronze in color. On the final batch, I put the lid back on and ran another 24 hours. Still came out bronze colored.

Then I did full match prep to about 50 of them including full length size, trim to length, case mouth debur, flash hole debur and neck turn. Then back into the tumbled... Came out gold and beautiful.

My take-away: if you run too many, it doesn't work as well.

Can anyone remember if their motors on their Thumler Model B's gave off a slight smell when they were first run? Im guessing I have a new motor running in smell going on?

Also, how warm/hot do your motors get when running for a couple of hours?

zuke and turbo54, will keep that in mind when I test out future range pick ups.
smile.gif

Vman, there have been guys talk about the slight smell. I think that it is normal for the break in on the motor.

Also, the motor does get warm to the touch. Mine has always gotten warm, but not so hot that it actually burns my hand. Your running the 220v so it may be a little different that my 110v.

Turbo54: Do you have a scale that you can weigh your drum prior to putting it on the tumbler? I do not beleive from what you are telling me that your over loading it.

Check to see if you getting slippage on the drive belt and the drum is sitting static for periods of time. Also, check to see if the drum is slipping on the rollers. Grip tape will cure that, just make sure to put it the whole way around your bearing surface on your drum. If the drum sits motionless you will end up with gun metal colored brass.

1) check to make sure your belt is not slipping under load.
2) check the drum is not slipping on your rollers under loading. It does not always happen right when you put it on the base. Sometimes if you do not get a tight seal on the lid and get slight leakage it will cause your drum to just sit static and not spin.
3) Finally run just your media with the solution as a cleaning cycle for the Media. If there is carbon on your media it will not clean as well.

Your brass qty sounds perfect along with your cleaning solution. Double up on the Lemishine and see if that helps.

Just monitor your drum periodically while running a batch.

New poll results as of 4-17-2011 @ 9:45am EST

4-17-11poll.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone remember if their motors on their Thumler Model B's gave off a slight smell when they were first run? Im guessing I have a new motor running in smell going on?

Also, how warm/hot do your motors get when running for a couple of hours?

zuke and turbo54, will keep that in mind when I test out future range pick ups.
smile.gif
</div></div>

The slight smell is the paint on the motor baking on.
When I was talking to Terry about my media he told me to use synthetic motor oil on the motor to get the most life out of it.
I use Amsoil cause I use it in my car.
I also put it on the roller's where the saft's rotate in.

When mounted on it's base plate if you look at the top of the motor at each end you'll see hole's.
If you put a drop or two every other use it'll help the life of the shaft bearing's.

Are you guys sure about this oil thingo?

I just took out the mag lite and had a look at the motor and if i put oil in those holes it will simply drip onto a circular arch looking thing... and they are at both ends and do not move.

So if the oil is hitting that, and they dont actually move all that will happen is the oil will run down to the bottom and drip.

Have I missed something here?

I know guys are always look for ways to tumble more brass. So I thought I would give this tumbler a try. I got it from MJR Tumblers.com It is a 35Lbs drum with 1/3 HP motor.

* Ball bearing rubber-coated rollers
* High-gloss scratch-resistant powder-coat finish
* Two Year Warranty On Parts And Labor
* Made In The USA
* Works with any cylindrical barrel 4.5" to 9.5" in diameter but no longer than 16" in length
* Durable 16-gauge welded steel frame
* Vibration Damping Feet
* 3.4 Amp - 120 Volt Motor
* Net Weight 20 lbs.
* Overall Dimensions 20” x 10” x 12”

The base for the barrel is very well made. I like the v-belt for the drive wheels, and the ball bearing rollers. The motor is very heavy duty and is big. I did have to adjust the belt to get the drum to turn at first. The barrel on the other hand is just PVC irrigation pipe glued together and painted red. Not a real bad thing but, there are a few thing that I found hard to deal with. In the shop I have a white porcelain sink that the red paint would rub off onto. So red paint everywhere. The mouth of the barrel is only four inches wide. Really hard to get the media and brass back into after you have done a batch. It really needs to be 8-10 inches. Where they glue the top and bottom together, there is a lip that the pins get hung up on. So you can never get all the pins out of the barrel when trying to clean them out. One of the pictures shows the top lip with pins stuck in it. Also the barrel is smooth inside. They told me that it was as myth, that you don't need any paddles or ridges to move the media. So I left the lid off and just put the media in with the water, and turned it on. The media just sat in the bottom, as the barrel turned around it. The media would kind of ride up the side and slush over onto itself.

So I went down to the local gun range and got a 5 gallon bucket of pistol brass that I told the owner I would clean for free. I filled the barrel 3/4 of the way up with .45 brass. Then put in about one and a half gallons of water. Filled it almost to the top. I figured that there was about 20-24Lbs of brass in there. Two good squirts of Ivory dish soap, and two .40 case full of Lemishine....Barrel=9Lbs...Water=10Lbs...Total weight=42Lbs I let it tumble for 4 hours then checked on it. Water was dirty and the cases looked a little better. Well i end up letting it go for 9 hours. The cases came out clean, with super dirty water. I would say 80% of what they look like after the Thumlers tumbler. So then I took some of the clean cases and put them in the Model B. Two hours later!! They where sparkling. The pictures show the difference between the the two tumblers results. Even though the larger tumbler turns a little faster. The model b high speed tumbler would do a faster, and better job. The shape of the model b really does make a difference. So if you are not to worried about having the cleanest brass ever. This may be a good option to look at.

M1350013.jpg

M1350010.jpg

M1350017.jpg

M1350015.jpg

M1330004.jpg

Before
M1330002.jpg

After
M1340006.jpg

The difference between the two tumblers. Thumler on the right 5 hour tumble time. Larger tumbler on the left 9 hour tumble time
M1350002.jpg

M1340007.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjkearns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">media question
Is the stainless media from STM $15 better than the media from Buffalo Arms?

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stainless-tumbling-media.html

If it is better how and in what ways so

Thank you for your help
Joseph </div></div>
Theirs is cut longer, 306 stainless, compared to 316 stainless, and STM is $6.00 flat rate shipping on media.

Cory

Nice write up on that other tumbler.
It make's sence that the media would just sit there,there's nothing to make it move.
You didn't mention the cost of that set-up?
More then a Thumbler's Tumbler?

'No' should not be an option in this poll.

LOL

It should have 'Yes' or 'Better than'

Anyone who says no is full of shit imo. I dont want to sound like a troll, but its true.

I have both systems, and the ultrasonic simply CANNOT polish as well as clean. It just cleans. So to say 'No' would imply that Stainless does in fact not polish cases, which the majority of us (84%) would say, yes it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'No' should not be an option in this poll.

LOL

It should have 'Yes' or 'Better than'

Anyone who says no is full of shit imo. I dont want to sound like a troll, but its true.

I have both systems, and the ultrasonic simply CANNOT polish as well as clean. It just cleans. So to say 'No' would imply that Stainless does in fact not polish cases, which the majority of us (84%) would say, yes it does. </div></div>

I totally agree with your statement!

Just wanted to comment on the drying issues that some appear to be having.

I don't understand why some say it's such a hassle, when the tumbler is finished I pour out as much water as possible, fill back up with hot water, agitate it with my hand for a few seconds, pour and repeat the process one more time.Once the media/brass have been separated in the RCBS rotating separator I lay a bath towel out flat, and fold the towel over it and roll the brass around in the towel wiping the outside off.

Then leave the brass sitting out laying on it side over night and presto, dry brass every time, and I have done thousands of pieces like this still with the primer in and the brass is always dry in the morning....

I guess I don't understand the need for wasting money running your clothes dryer, stove, or food dehydrator. If you need that brass dry right away, just hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and presto, done!

Also I have noticed that with off brand dish soaps I have to add more than normal amounts to get brass clean. Also I start with HOT water and have noticed it takes less time to tumble clean...

my $0.02

Just thought I'd post what I use to strain my brass and media. I mentioned it before but I never placed the link.

After the tumble I put this on a 5 gallon bucket and dump everything into the strainer:

http://www.amazon.com/Deeks-Strainer-Insert-100-Micron-CDFEZ-5HD/dp/B002VMCMVA

They come in 100, 400, and 600 micron I think. I think I used the smallest mesh they had so the media wouldn't go through.

Afterwards I take the whole strainer and place it in the sink making sure the media covers the drain hole of the sink. Turn the water on and eventually it will start to fill up over the media. I let the water run as I pick out the brass and shake them under water (this gets all the media out of the case) as the water is running and then either toss them into an small bucket of 99% alcohol, or just set them on a towel if I'm going to anneal them.

Then just rinse the media in the strainer a few times, put it back on the 5 gallon bucket to dry. Usually overnight the media dries out and I put it back in the tumbler.

Take the brass out of the alcohol bath and let it dry on a towel, or take a hair dryer to it if I'm in a rush.

On a side note, for my .30-06 brass switching powders to h4350 I've been able to cut my total tumbling time down to 1.5hours. Cases come out clean and I don't get peening of the case mouths. Before I was using RL22 and it would take 2.5 hours to get the necks clean and I started to get some peening of the case mouths. Not really a big issue for me since I trim every firing anyway, but I just thought I'd share. H4350 is much cleaner burning for me so it definitely takes less time in the tumbler.

I don't have issues drying the brass. It is drying the media that is a pain in the ass. But sometimes I dump the wet media in a pot and put it on the stove until the majority of the steam disappears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've also found it takes way more than 4ish hours runtime. More like 10-15 for cases to come out "sweet". </div></div>

Try using a bit more soap/water on the next turn. Also, I've found that some dish soaps don't work as well as others, like the PalmOlive gel didn't work half as well as the Dawn liquid that I just bought.

I'm another guy with the low speed model and haven't noticed any significant additional length required for tumbling. I usually keep my brass in for 4-5 hours or overnight depending on when I put it in. They seem to be as clean as they're going to get at the 4-5 hour mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CardiacKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm another guy with the low speed model and haven't noticed any significant additional length required for tumbling. I usually keep my brass in for 4-5 hours or overnight depending on when I put it in. They seem to be as clean as they're going to get at the 4-5 hour mark. </div></div>

Same here. Another thing is I've never had any peening like I've heard others complain about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting a great deal on a Thumler's Tumbler Model B low speed. Will it work fine with the SS media or will it take forever? </div></div>

It will work just fine...I have the low speed and it does an amazing job. My Thumbler is probably 20 yrs old and works great.

You will love it...don't get pressured into thinking you need to pay another $180 for a new one.

Only problem I have had with the stainless is it getting caught sideways in the large primer pockets. Not a big deal but usually catch it when I'm trying to hand prime it...lol. I check them all now.

Well, finally broke down and bought a Thumler's Tumber and will give this stainless media technique a try. I went in big with the Ultrasonic a few years back and was generally pleased but realized it was taking way too much time.

So I have 2 batches of Ultrasonic cleaned Lapua 243 Win cases and will save the 3rd batch for the tumbler. That will give me a comparison of dirty, Ultrasonic cleaned, and SSM cleaned.

I sure hope this is worth it. Whoever said reloading was about saving money was wrong!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What method does everyone use to dry the cases after? </div></div>

I have my reloading stuff in my basement. I have a dehumidifier down there just to keeps things constant and the air blows out the top. I keep the brass in the separator and hang that above the fan on the dehumidifier. It gets the air plus the moisture drawn out at the same time.

I'm not in any hurry to load after I clean anyhow so if i load the next day its gonna be dry regardless of what I do to the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What method does everyone use to dry the cases after? </div></div>

I dump my cases in alcohol (95% ethanol aka Metholated spirits) and then take them out and dry them with a hair dryer. Total dry time is 5 minutes and they are ready to be primed and charged.

No water spotting and to me seems like the best way to go about it.

Ammo can, Axial Fan, and a 67watt light bulb.

DSCI0001-5.jpg

Terry

I purchased stainless steel media and tumbler and can't be happier. It outperforms my ultrasonic setup and the cleanliness of the cases can't be beat. I found ultrasonic to be more sensitive than I would have liked to the kind of solution I was using etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What method does everyone use to dry the cases after? </div></div>

Ammo can, Axial Fan, and a 67watt light bulb.

DSCI0001-5.jpg

Terry </div></div>

I was going to make something similar to that. How long does it take to dry lets say 100 308 cases?

Hello I finally read through all 34 pages of testimonials and I am interested in trying the stainless steel brass cleaning. I have a Lyman vibratory tumbler that works okay on the outside of the case and I have tried the ultrasonic method and I find that it does okay but is limited on how many can be done and I have found that the outside of the cases are not as shiny as what my Lyman tumbler can get them and defiantly nowhere near as good as what I have seen posted here.
I see that most people are using the Thumler's Model B high speed tumblers, has anyone used the A-R12 tumbler? I am interested in the A-R12 because of the all rubber barrel that the A-R12 model has.
Also I like to use the Lyman plastic mesh bags to keep brass lots together and to keep different calibers seperate I was wondering if that can be done using this method as well?

Don