• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Stainless Steel Tumbling Media

Re: Stainless Steel Tumbling Media

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Cons: Case mouth peening</div></div> could you go into a little more detail is it bad enough to damage the brass after just one time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkmccoy11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Cons: Case mouth peening</div></div> could you go into a little more detail is it bad enough to damage the brass after just one time? </div></div>

trim (inside chamfer and outside deburr - giraud trimmers are wonderful) after tumbling is what i do - i have not noticed any problems.

I've never used walnut, but SS media sure does a great job of cleaning my brass!
Sure, you have to dry it, but I just shake it around in an old towel for a few minutes, then it takes less time to air dry the rest of the way. You can also use an air compressor to blow the water droplets out of the inside of the brass, but it increases the time you spend on it.

Wouldn't go back to using walnut media and traditional tumbling for all the tea in China! SS method just works, and separating the brass from media is no more onerous than poking out walnut bits from flash holes anyway.

SS works great. I love it. I tumble then size then use a cheap ultrasonic to get the lube off then load. Super clean beautiful brass.

I have, I do, it works fine.

I suggest a separate tumbling barrel for the dry media, because I tumble in a 5 gallon bucket:
1.) You don't want to play games with pouring walnut/corncob into the wet barrel.
2.) You don't want walnut/corncob wedging between the paddles in the barrel, and the barrel, because I promise you - you'll end up with walnut/corncob in your SS, and that's just a pain in the ass for so many reasons.
3.) I don't like to deal with dusty dry media in my wet barrel, and vice/versa, it's too annoying to have to clean the barrel each time you swap media types back and forth. I even got a second RCBS media separator so I could dedicate each to a wet or dry use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkmccoy11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone use standard media in their rotary tumbler to clean off case lube? </div></div>

Hell no, that's what the ultrasonic is for, work smart, not hard.

I deprime then tumble in SS then lube and size then ultrasonic and dry.

SS is the way to go, it's a little pricey to start, but it's worth every penney! Clean outside, inside,and the primmer pockets.The stainless pins never ware out.

do yall use stainless every time before you reload or do you only use it say every 2-5 times i have noticed that once my brass has been tumbled in stainless that it stays real nice and clean for several reloads with only standard walnut tumbling before sizing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkmccoy11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do yall use stainless every time before you reload or do you only use it say every 2-5 times i have noticed that once my brass has been tumbled in stainless that it stays real nice and clean for several reloads with only standard walnut tumbling before sizing </div></div>

I do it every time

I've been doing the SS tumbling media thing for about 10 years now. A High Power old timer and Camp Perry champ taught me about using a rock tumbler, BB's, Dawn and a few drops of lemon juice. It does an excellent job but gives the brass a bit of a dark color. (from the copper I suppose)

I started using the SS pin media and Lemi-shine a few months ago. The primer pockets are much cleaner and the brass looks new. Even if there is not enough "growth" for trimming, the mouth does need to be chamfered for VLD's.

I use a small screw driver to get rid of the small pins that continually get stuck in the neck but it is easier then getting a wet BB out of a 223 primer pocket.

I wish the pins were a more uniform length to prevent the case neck log jams but other than that the Lemi-Shine/SS pin method is good to go.

I fill a bucket half full with cold water, pick the cases out of the tumbler and drop them in the bucket. When one has pins stuck in the neck I pop them out with a small screwdriver, throw them away and drop the case in the bucket with the clean water.

I rinse all the cases off with clean water a few times in the bucket at the sink, roll them a bit in a towel then put them on some foil on a baking sheet to dry them off in the oven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkmccoy11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone tried a alcohol bath or ever heard of anyone using this method </div></div>

I do it every time and love it! I used to oven dry followed by a few days/weeks of air drying but the booze chops the dry time down a lot. I still air dry for days/weeks prior to loading but that's only because I batch process.

I stainless tumble every time.
Use a media separator to get the pins out and roll around and shake out in a towel.
Dry over a floor heat register.
Anneal, Size and use corn cob in a Frankford tumbler to clean the Imperial off the sized cases.

Its a good idea to keep the depriming pin in your sizing die just in case you happen miss spotting a couple of pins stuck in the flash hole on one of them.
Easier to happen when your batch processing a couple hundred at a time than with only doing 20.

I use stainless every time.

I have used it to clean up to 300 cases at a time. The nicest cleans come from about 50 cases at a time, and the run time does not need to be that long. When I do 50 cases I get a complete, 100% clean. When I do 300 cases I get a 95% clean. The remaining 5% is from the little black scorch marks from the primers. But as I said, a smaller batch allows the pins more time to do their thing and everything gets removed.

The SS also allows for easier annealig of cases as you can see everything happen in front of you.

I will never look back, this is for sure.

A trick to getting all he pins out of the case is to grab 3 or 4 at a time out of the tumbler and hold them inverted in a container of water (I just use the tumbler drum) and give them a rapid swish and the pins come out quick and easy and just fall back into the container.
The water seems to help lube and align the pins and a bit of agitation by twitching your hand makes quick work of it if you can grasp several at a time.

Been using stainless for about two years now - wouldn't go back.

I use Dawn detergent only. The Lemme Shine got the brass only slightly brighter but I stopped using it since I like to pre-soak my brass to reduce tumbling time. Since the Lemme Shine is slightly acidic I don't want to run the risk of harming the brass. Just being overly cautious.

Only "problem" I have encountered is the brass doesn't grow as much due to peening While my Giraud trimmer does a good job on the inside chamfer I still find myself manually chamferring the outside. I'm going to talk to Giraud and see if they have a trimmer bit that doesn't leave such a sharp edge on the neck - might result in less peening.

Here's my process:

1) Remove primers
2) Load up tumbler and soak brass over night. The pre-soak reduces the tumbling time required and there is much less neck peening.
3) Tumble for two hours - I hooked the tumbler up to a timer so I don't have to watch it.
4) Size brass
5) Put brass back in for another hour (using the same water) to remove lube. Could probably get away with 30 minutes.
6)Trim brass

Hope that helps....

To seperate media i drill holes in side of a 5 gal bucket, insert a 5 gal paint strainer and place Frankford Arsenal seperator on top of bucket. Dump media and cases in seperator and rinse with hose. Alcohol seems the best drying method i have found, place cases in wal-mart strainer and swish in alchol bath until satisfied.

I use the SS media with the Thumbler's Tumbler and love it. We keep the air dry in the reloading room so the dry time is no more than 24 hours (likely less) and we're ready to resize.

I deprime first then SS tumble, then dry, then resize, then trim, then SS last time. Love it.

I own one and I run it for about 4 hours and pre soak the brass for a couple of hours. It will cost more in equipment and materials but if you're careful enough you won't need to buy stainless media again. It makes my brass look better than when I bought it.

The brass looks great and our consistency in experiments has improved considerably since we began cleaning with stainless tumbling media.

I measured the case volume of 10 .300 Win Mag cases before and after tumbling, and tumbling in stainless media increased the case capacity by an average of 1 grain of water, presumably by removing residue from inside of the cases.