• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fieldcraft Starting new ghillie, What to use for skid pad?

rdscottt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Dallas TX
I am starting a new ghillie and want to know what everyone uses for a skid pad. By skid pad I mean the front and elbows material sewn in to sturdy the material. On my last one I used a duffle bag, which worked great and is my first choice as of now. I have also heard of shelter half being used but I think that may be to heavy. Any ideas would be great. The only caveat I have is that this is a real ghillie, so I am not into spending ass loads of money on something that I am going to destroy , get muddy, paint, etc. Thanks in advance.

Re: Starting new ghillie, What to use for skid pad?

Or another real durable thing you can use:

Cut the skid pads out of an old army duffle bag. That heavy nylon is tough and is already OD green..... Plus you can get em cheap at any Army Surplus store.

For what it's worth... Cordura is probably the best, but you can't liquid stitch the plates on like you can with canvas or duffel bag material.
No problem though if you have a heavy duty sewing machine though

I thing I did in the elbows and knees was take a piece of inner tube, and shoe goo it onto the material. Then took a sponge and placed it ontop of the tube for padding.

One thing I have found which may be useful is sewing in thin knee and elbow pads (5.11 brand type or even cheap mouse pads) under the Cordura. Helps out on long stalks. If you can't sew I agree shoe goo works well.

Tactical Concealment carries codura fabric that's not too expensive in a couple of colors. I used their fabric and it worked very well for me.

if you're getting codura that you're going to paint anyway...look at 1050 Ballistic Nylon or whats called White Widow. Hard to believe...but both make 1000d look like tissue paper.
if you want something in camo...the 1000D is hard to beat.
I sew all my stuff and use very light Household WELDER. just like shoe goo but has a smaller nozzle.

In the past I've just used an old lister bag. It's made of very heavy duty canvas. You might be able to get one at an Army & Navy store. If you're military, go to the local DRMO, if you have one where you're stationed, and get it for free.