• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Steiner owners - thinking about a Steiner T5Xi . . . .

I'll be honest it took like 6 posts for me to finally follow you

It's likely I didn't explain it well because I've given details in 5 different places and forgot what I posted in this thread.

a lack of understanding between both parties as to what the issue was? .... I would love to see the copies of the work orders they sent you detailing the issue and solution they presented

I didn't hear word one from them until they had it back the third time. At that point, they told me it was because I had zeroed it out at max elevation, which would make the clicks funky. I told them I had never zeroed the turrets. They were exactly the way they were from the factory. The last time, they said they completely rebuilt the scope.

Looking at videos online, the marks line up. *shrug*

I didn't until they started fucking with me. This is on them. I still have an M5Xi, and other than them not having a manual for it and the zeroing sequence being hard to figure out without instructions, it's sweet. It's the best scope I own. That's why.

What's difficult about zeroing the M5xi? I just got mine in and haven't mounted it but it looks pretty simple. Just unscrew the two screws, turn to zero and tighten. I could be missing something though so it'll be good to know before I zero it.

If the zero stop is set, lowering it can be difficult. Mine required taking the turret apart and moving some stuff around. I only had like four mils of travel with the screws undone. I'd have to be walked through it again to repeat it.

Also, the manual says to pull the turret off to zero. Do not go by the manual.

Last edited:
Right now I have a couple LRHS 3-12, a DMRII and a 3-15 TX5i. If someone is scared of the Steiner, I like the DMRII just as much. Turrets on the DMRII have enough spacing to be like you said closer to one line than the other. The spacing on the 12 mil turrets of the Steiner is very close. The 4-16 Steiners were probably the best scopes I had, but were huge and weight a ton.

Thanks, If in the need I'd lean towards the DMR2 myself just because I had good luck with the old 5 mil knob HDMR.

Soon I'll be replacing a S&B 5-25 with a Cronus BTR 4.5-29 and SWFA 3-15's with two Ares BTR 2.5-15's. We'll see how they perform this year.

Thanks, If in the need I'd lean towards the DMR2 myself just because I had good luck with the old 5 mil knob HDMR.

Soon I'll be replacing a S&B 5-25 with a Cronus BTR 4.5-29 and SWFA 3-15's with two Ares BTR 2.5-15's. We'll see how they perform this year.

I liked those big wide detents on the DMR/HDMR also. My Steiner TX5i is not in between anywhere it is spot on all the way around, same with my DMRII. I have been wanting to get some time with some of Athlon's stuff.

after reading all this even though it's a little bit old thread, i bought a Steiner TX5i 3-15 tonight,, only purchased directly from steiner 2 weeks ago, for $800. we'll see how she works

after reading all this even though it's a little bit old thread, i bought a Steiner TX5i 3-15 tonight,, only purchased directly from steiner 2 weeks ago, for $800. we'll see how she works
Wait, you bought a T5XI directly from Steiner for 800? Or you bought it off of someone else for 800, who bought it direct from Steiner?

#1. Decent thread necromancy, but nothing too impressive. Only 2017 *jokes*

#2. Wish I had found mine for $800! Damn, that's a deal.

#3. I have a T5Xi 3-15x50. It tracked perfectly for me. Good scope. Chromatic aberration is high, but it doesn't bother me unless I look for it. Recently (few months ago), it developed a parallax issue. Seemed like the knob had some play in it (couldn't go all the way to infinity or the closest setting, didn't adjust consistently both directions), contacted Steiner, got a return processed. They quoted me four week turnaround, scope came back in four weeks. It was a brand new scope, but the problem does not persist and this one is perfect.

Just my experience to add since this thread is a little old.

sorry been under for the last few days. bought it off the original purchaser, who purchased it 2 weeks ago . Guess he needed money. Still in box just opened to take pic. i'll recieve it tomorrow. After reading my original post , it does sound like it bought it direct. I didn't. sorry for the confusion. But i did only give $800. Once in awhile a fella just happens to b in the right place at the right time

I've had a T5xi 5-25-56 for 2 years now. I have thoroughly enjoyed having it every minute. I have not had any function problems. My turrets have a nice tactile feel. They don't move. They are repeatable. And when I dial correctly, I generally end up with a good result. I have shot this rifle and scope combination next to some very high dollar setups and have never felt like I was at a disadvantage. In fact, I will put my equipment up against anything on the line with confidence. I have heard people say that they've had turret issues. I have never experienced it at all and I would certainly buy another Steiner. I too have owned and still own various Nightforce and Vortex optics. I haven't had one that made me wish I hadn't purchased my Steiner T5xi. I bought mine from the great guys at Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont, Colorado. They gave me a great deal and I feel like I got a great scope. You can reach them at 303-651-0816 and ask them directly about their results and what the people that have bought them have said about them.

Reactions: JD. martin
I’m running a T5xi 5-25 I bought used off here ( good deal, not $800 good deal, but I’m happy). It was an early model, when I took delivery I basically opened the box to verify terms of the sale, resealed and sent to Steiner for updated turrets and a general go through. 3 weeks later I had in hand. I used Frank and Marc’s (AK pr course) gen 1 scope tracking tools ran a few tracking tests on it. First one was 100%, I said BS. Ran 3 more tests, 1 100%, 2 99%. It works.

You misunderstood or I communicated it badly. All clicks are seemingly random increments. The only time the marks line up closely is from 0 to 1 mil. From there until it bottoms out they're all over the place.

I didn't until they started fucking with me. This is on them. I still have an M5Xi, and other than them not having a manual for it and the zeroing sequence being hard to figure out without instructions, it's sweet. It's the best scope I own. That's why I jumped on the T5Xi.

And Vortex. But I replaced the Steiner with a Vortex today, so fuck me, my own fault. It'll probably have to go back to the factory for a fix right out of the box, but I bet it'll work inside of a month.

That's pretty common. I've been called a shill easily over 100 times. Usually, not pointing fingers, by someone that is incredibly dishonest instead of one that is ignorant or paranoid. I don't work in the firearms industry and I don't own anything my employers make.

LOL, Nikon scopes. How are their cameras so good? Their rifle scope glass is like mica.

I'm claiming 4 times, for the record.

Just a voice in a crowd of agreement.

We must all work for rival companies. Probably meet in abandoned warehouses, step on kittens, and clank axes together in unison.

Actually, I'm the one of the left:

Preventing someone from wasting their money on a T5Xi is helping. It's also helping to let people know Steiner doesn't warranty their work. Imagine how much better customer service would be if every bad interaction and every good interaction was cataloged. The way it is now, you're much more likely to hear the bad than the good. But, sometimes companies put out bad product and don't stand behind it. I remember a fellow once posted a picture of an AAC silencer in a toilet and was banned from the AAC forum. Before that, I had no idea the design was a turd. Saved me some money.

Although you have had a terrible experience with Steiner, I have had nothing but good ones. I bought my T5xi 5-25 back when everyone was flippin out that they didnt track correctly. I expected them to come out with a fix, annnd they did. From what I have seen the fix has been a solid fix. A few matches back I was having wonky shots and I assumed my scope was at fault. Sent it to Steiner but they found no problems, I'll add that this process only took about 2 weeks total (Frekin awesome IMHO) further inspection of my rifle uncovered the real problem. I respect Steiner for not only fixing the scope, but also listening to me as a consumer even though there was nothing wrong with it.

Bottom line, I predict that the bad experiences you are having is because of you.

To the original poster or anyone else interested. The T5xi is a great scope. I find that after 20x the optical clarity takes a hit, especially on the CA side of things. It can get quite ridiculous at times, HOWEVER it is still very good glass. I love the turrets, very small and out of the way but easy to manipulate. Also I love how you can see the mag range when your behind the scope and how the scope has a locking diopter. Is it a top tier NF or Khales? No. Will you still be able to compete with the guys running those better scopes? Absolutely.

We get it. You've had a bad experience and keep telling us about it. We get that you hate Steiner, but I cannot help but wonder that of your 27 posts almost everyone has to do with your hate for Steiner. If I weren't such a trusting individual, I'd suspect that you were a plant for another scope company. But then I realized it would have to be Nikon or SWFA, so nah....

No matter how many times you claim that Steiner won't fix their scopes, I see someone else post up how Steiner took care of them or that theirs has been great. So just keep going on your one-man mission to sully their name, you will get some guys to tag along with you.

In the meantime, the majority of us who own and use our Steiners and have been using them for a long time, will continue to do so. You will go on and get a refund and will buy another scope that you will be sooo happy with. Oh wait, unless it's a Nikon that won't happen.

I actually read all that you've written and I'm trying to decide why I do so. I should do like most and just ignore your continuous rantings. But I just keep thinking that maybe one day you'll get over your obsession and contribute here in some way other than in a negative way.
Yes an old post. But a fckn a FCKN Great One👍🏻 Laughing so hard can’t finish reading. Thanks Brother for the monotony breaker!! proud owner of a T5xi here and always. Thanks

Reactions: lash
For the record, I trashed Steiner because they made a bad product and refused to fix it 4 times and lied about it.

You can make excuses and mock me all you want, but Steiner is the only one at fault and they were outstandingly scummy about it. It was Grade A scumbag customer service. They should be ashamed.

"Hur hur he's mad Steiner fucked with him for a year like total scumbug thieves hur hur gottem"

For the record, I trashed Steiner because they made a bad product and refused to fix it 4 times and lied about it.

You can make excuses and mock me all you want, but Steiner is the only one at fault and they were outstandingly scummy about it. It was Grade A scumbag customer service. They should be ashamed.

"Hur hur he's mad Steiner fucked with him for a year like total scumbug thieves hur hur gottem"
Twinsen! Sheew wee Still not over it I see!! It’s all good man!! So is My T5xi (flawless).