Gunsmithing Stock Fitment Problem - Help!

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
UPDATE: It appears the problem is that the rear tang locates itself in the stock in a position that causes the action to be located too far forward. So far forward the front action/recoil lug holes do not line up and worse, there is about a 1/16" gap between the recoil lug and the corresponding bedding block lug! Seems like pretty sloppy tolerance control. I ground away some stock material around the tang, which permits the screw to start, but as the blue tape shows, there is still a 1/16" gap between the lug and bedding block.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Bell and Carlson Medalist Tactical stock with aluminum bedding block that I am trying to fit a Howa action into. See pics.

http://s832.photobucket.com/albums/zz249/PhilJr/Howa%20223/

Note how the integral recoil on the receiver hooks over the aluminum bedding block. A screw goes through the hole in the bottom metal, through the bedding block and into the threaded hole in the recoil lug. The problem is that the action threaded hole and bedding block hole don't exactly line up. The action hole is forward of the bedding block hole. The misalignment is bad enough to make starting the screw very difficult, if not impossible. Is this typical, requiring grinding or boring of the aluminum to make fit? Bell & Carlson technical help was of no help, only suggesting I return the stock. But I am not convinced the next one will be any different.

Thanks.

Phil

Re: Stock Fitment Problem - Help!

I had the same problem with my rem 700P, I ended up milling out the aluminum to make everything fit and bedding it. Its the only true way for everything to fit perfect. Or just send it back and save for a used mcmillan.