• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

store rifle's barrel with oil?

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
I don't shoot as often as I would like... maybe once or every other month. sometimes twice a month...

so I wanted to know how I should store the barrel on the rifle...

I just got some bore tech eliminator, and used that to clean it. it wasn't all that dirty (about 50-60 shots through it) and it looks pretty clean according to the patches...

now bore tech eliminator says to leave a dampened patch of BTE in the barrel until next use, however something in my head says to leave it with some oil or dry... I awnted to ask your opinions.

my oil of choice in Weapon shield. so I can put some of that in the barrel with a tight jag and leave it for short term storage, or leave it dry. or I can do what BTE says and store with that... (the rifle stays in my A/C'd home/room)

thoughts?

Re: store rifle's barrel with oil?

I store all of my stuff dry, unless it's going in the basement or something.
That's worked for me, but I'm pretty negligent towards my weapons. It's never caused any noticeable problems for me.

I would have a hard time storing my firearms with anything obstructing the barrel. That sounds like an acident waiting to happen. What I do before storage is clean bore if needed, otherwise I run an oiled patch down the bore followed by a clean/ dry patch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have a hard time storing my firearms with anything obstructing the barrel. That sounds like an acident waiting to happen. What I do before storage is clean bore if needed, otherwise I run an oiled patch down the bore followed by a clean/ dry patch. </div></div>

what do you mean accident waiting to happen?

you mean I would by mistake over oil, and then when I shoot, I would get an over pressure because of the oil and kaboom?

I'll store it dry for now. it's just that I've always kept my firearms with some oil in the barrel to inhibit rust, so it's hard keeping them dry (even though it's a SS barrel)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitt91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think he means that theres a chance you could forget you have a patch in the barrel, then overpressure/boom </div></div>

I've never in my life heard of someone leaving a patch in the barrel. LOL

is that even possible? how the hell do you leave a patch in the barrel?

and how does that haev anything to do with leaving coat of oil or leaving it dry or boretech? I really think my chances of an ND are higher... lol

Instead of oil, I keep a bore snake in the barrel of rifle until i get to the range. Keeps moisture and dust and debris out and since I have to pull it out to shoot, it verifies that I have an obstruction free bore when I'm ready to shoot. Just a trick I picked up in the service that stuck with me.

I use Montanna bore conditioner. Clean it and put a patch through it with the bore conditioner, then a dry patch and I've never had a problem with the first shot being off from any of the others. I wouldn't leave a patch in the barrel, as I would forget about it and go shooting! I agree that it doesn't seem like any benefit to to leave a patch of it in the barrel anyhow?

Don't leave bore tech in the barrel. If you stand the gun on end the stuff drains into the BF and FP assembly, Thats not so bad but if as it sits there any other contaminents in the bore run into the BF as well, Then it can get gummy and sticky.

Run one patch with oil thru the bore and then one dry patch to remove the excess.

I leave all of my rifles and handguns with oil in the tube when storing them. When it is a high use firearm then it is dry. If it is to sit over a couple months then I will oil it. How hard is it to run a patch down the tube before you shoot? I guess I check over my fire arms every time they come out of the safe.

I use a couple patches with oil after cleaning, followed by 3-4 dry patches to remove any excess oil. Ideally, you'd like to have a very thin layer of oil, preferably only a few molecules thick, as a rust preventative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitt91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think he means that theres a chance you could forget you have a patch in the barrel, then overpressure/boom </div></div>

I would bet a GAP rifle that a single patch left in the end of a barrel would not cause a "over pressuse/boom." Theres no way in hell.

Now back to the original topic-- I run a patch of oil down it, a dry patch and call it good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim See</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't leave bore tech in the barrel. If you stand the gun on end the stuff drains into the BF and FP assembly, Thats not so bad but if as it sits there any other contaminents in the bore run into the BF as well, Then it can get gummy and sticky.

Run one patch with oil thru the bore and then one dry patch to remove the excess. </div></div>

/\ smart feller, listen to this guy
grin.gif

I have stored dry for up to 5 months so far in my garage in TX between vacations. No issues with rust so far. I do have a couple deca' packs and a golden rod in the safe though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one stores their rifles with fouled barrels? </div></div>

I wouldnt say I "store" it per say, but sometimes they do sit in the safe having not been cleaned for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I leave all of my rifles and handguns with oil in the tube when storing them. When it is a high use firearm then it is dry. If it is to sit over a couple months then I will oil it. How hard is it to run a patch down the tube before you shoot? I guess I check over my fire arms every time they come out of the safe. </div></div>

+1 here. Weapons get checked each and every time before firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrkcs332</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I leave all of my rifles and handguns with oil in the tube when storing them. When it is a high use firearm then it is dry. If it is to sit over a couple months then I will oil it. How hard is it to run a patch down the tube before you shoot? I guess I check over my fire arms every time they come out of the safe. </div></div>

+1 here. Weapons get checked each and every time before firing. </div></div>

+1 I clean and than put a few drops of Kroil on a patch and give it a few strokes. Push a clean patch down the bore as soon as I get to the bench. You might be surprised how much fouling comes out of your "clean" barrel!

Boretech does not say to leave a patch in the barrel. Its says to run a dampened patch through the barrel before storing, not leave a patch in.

http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

I have used Boretch as my only cleaning solution in many rifles. I have been extremely pleased with it. I however do not leave any in the barrel. If storing for a long time I clean with Boretech, run dry patches through until clean, then back into the Pelican case.

When I meant dampened patch, I didn't mean to literally leave a patch. I meant to leave the rifle with a dampened patch ran through it.

who leaves their rifle with a patch in the barrel? LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I meant dampened patch, I didn't mean to literally leave a patch. I meant to leave the rifle with a dampened patch ran through it.

who leaves their rifle with a patch in the barrel? LOL</div></div>

Idiots. That would be my guess. Granted you know how some are. Tell them how to make a PB&J sandwich they will spread peanut butter on their arm if you do not break every little step down into commands that a robot can do. That was a good class. I did that assignment two times. The first time I put a paragraph in it stating if you are too stupid to use basic instructions you deserve to starve to death because you will never be able to follow the instructions on page 2. Page 2 had the start of the instructions written in Mr. Potato head language. Got a A and talked to. Worth it.