• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

straight behind rifle

Oh boy,

This is about microns and milliseconds - and believe me, you can beat the bullet out of the bore.

look at a 20MOA base, and subtract the front from the back and you have about .11" difference to get 20 inches at 100 yards. now divide that again to get 1 inch of movement, or a 1/2 " hint: .0056"

How can anyone say this doesn't matter is beyond me, you must be the greatest shooter nobody ever heard of ... like the Eddie Van Halen of your mom's basement.

If people did it perfect training wouldn't exist

But if you're dead still at the break and your pull is good and straight back the rifle moves backwards about 1/10th of an inch before the bullet is gone. So where does anything matter? I don't see it. If the rifle can travel unimpeded straight back for a tenth of an inch you should be good to go.

There's 438 grains in an ounce. My rifle weighs like 18 lbs, which is 126,000 grains. The bullet is 168 grains. So the rifle moves (168/126000)th of the distance the bullet moves. The bullet moves down a 24 inch barrel. When the bullet reaches the muzzle the rifle has moved 0.032 inches!

From a position of dead still at the break, how can you influence the rifle as it moves back .032 inches?! I don't see it. You couldn't if you tried, not if you were dead still at the trigger break.

A miss is usually many small errors together compounding to make a larger error.

Not going to argue over .032 inches or whatever as its only a single aspect of the entire equation. If you're not straight behind the rifle, and don't allow the rifle to recoil straight back - how are you going to have the correct follow through and reset of the optic back onto your target instead of the recoil pushing the scope up/down/left/right to where you're now aimed 3 feet to the side?

Any free space will create an angle, regardless of how small. Angle = bad and will be exploited by recoil.

Reactions: Tokay444
But if you're dead still at the break and your pull is good and straight back the rifle moves backwards about 1/10th of an inch before the bullet is gone. So where does anything matter? I don't see it. If the rifle can travel unimpeded straight back for a tenth of an inch you should be good to go.

There's 438 grains in an ounce. My rifle weighs like 18 lbs, which is 126,000 grains. The bullet is 168 grains. So the rifle moves (168/126000)th of the distance the bullet moves. The bullet moves down a 24 inch barrel. When the bullet reaches the muzzle the rifle has moved 0.032 inches!

From a position of dead still at the break, how can you influence the rifle as it moves back .032 inches?! I don't see it. You couldn't if you tried, not if you were dead still at the trigger break.
Milliseconds matter lol. Unless the bullet is out of the muzzle and the rifle has moved .00000.....000” any negative influence is a negative influence.

Reactions: Tokay444
Oh boy,

This is about microns and milliseconds - and believe me, you can beat the bullet out of the bore.

look at a 20MOA base, and subtract the front from the back and you have about .11" difference to get 20 inches at 100 yards. now divide that again to get 1 inch of movement, or a 1/2 " hint: .0056"

How can anyone say this doesn't matter is beyond me, you must be the greatest shooter nobody ever heard of ... like the Eddie Van Halen of your mom's basement.

If people did it perfect training wouldn't exist
I guess I could have mentioned I'm new to shooting. :) Got my first rifle a month ago. So no, I'm not the world's greatest shooter that nobody ever heard of. But now I'm the world's worst shooter that everybody's heard of. LOL It doesn't matter I just want to get reasonably good at shooting out to 600 yards.