• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing stripped egw screws

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
I have a 20moa base on a savage short action and the two front screws got stripped when I tried toremove it from my rifle. So now I have a few questions. First id like to find a replacement set, I know I can call egw to send me a replacement set but I wouldn't mind paying a little bit to find a set that won't strip as easily. Where should I look for a set and also it may sound dumb but what size screws are used?

and finally I need to remove the stripped screws from the rifle without damaging anything. Just the heads are stripped and I tried every allen wrench I have and also all the trox bits I have. Nothing worked. Ienev tried a small flat head screw driver but to no avail. I know there are things I can buy but I wanted to get some other ideas or what tool worked the best without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance, oh and I think id rather have torx screws for flat head screws so its less likely to get stripped in the future.

Re: stripped egw screws

Sounds like they still have not addressed this yet. It happens all the time. They say it is from over-tightening them. I believe it is because of Chinese metal. They will sell you a better screw, so they do know there is a problem. They just won't fix it.

Did you Lok-tite the threads? If so, you'll need some heat to break that down. I find a Torx head driver that is a bit too big works well when driven into the stripped allen head recess. That also loosens the screw.

Why not grind the heads off to where you can pull the base off the rifle and to where it leaves enough of the threads sticking out of the action to be able to grab them with a pair of vice grips?

As mentioned above, a little heat from a soldering iron might held, if there is loc-tite. Also you might try a little valve-grinding compound on the tool before putting it in the hole, to take up the extra space. Nothing worse than a cheap allen screw. I have found Leupold torx screws to be pretty good in the past.

As mentioned above, a little heat from a soldering iron might held, if there is loc-tite. Also you might try a little valve-grinding compound on the tool before putting it in the hole, to take up the extra space. Nothing worse than a cheap allen screw. I have found Leupold torx screws to be pretty good in the past.

Same thing happened to me when I tried to remove the factory base from my Savage MK II. My brother (a mechanic who deals with this kind of problem a lot) helped me out by getting a set of torx bits and *carefully* tapping a bit into the stripped screws with a hammer. Once the torx bit was in, he put a ratchet on the bit and was able to get the screws out. Good luck.

They don't have any loc-tite on them. I got one out by using a torx bit and tapping it into the screw and slowly screwed it out. but the last one is very stubborn and wont budge.

I don't really have anything to grind the head of the screw off with or else i would.

Anything stuck, apply Kroil.
I have hundreds of Allen wrenches, so I can sacrifice some.
I have had Allen screw head strip.
I cut a larger size Allen wrench in half, and grind a taper.
I pound it in the stripped hole and turn it with long vise grips or some way I can maintain axial orientation as I turn.

If you read all the below thread about screws, take home message:
a) Unbrako Hexhead Cap screws are high quality
b) Caterpillar engineering standard:1 to 1.2 x [root dia = minor diameter] Dia in steel or cast iron for full female strength. That saves a lot of math.
c) Foreign screws are crap

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/tapped-thread-depth-strength-question-153783/

I had the same issue, they need to provide torx bits on their bases. I will never buy an EGW base untilthey come with torx head screws. I had to grind out the screw with a dremal until the base came off. I know you already tried it, but the torx bit trick usually, but not always, works.

I had the exact same thing happen just 2 days ago. I simply drilled the head of the stuck screw with a smaller diameter drill bit than the diameter of the head in a drill press so that there is a nice even hole in the center of the screw head. You don't need to go too far down, just a little bit (Just enough to make the wall of the screw head a little bit thinner). Then with a flat head screw driver, carefully hammer a slot on each side of the screw head, then use a flat head screw driver to unscrew the screw.

Also Pachmayr have a 110 pc gunsmith screw set available. Not sure of the quality of these screws though.

The whole episode caused me to go out and buy a NF base:)

I have a 20 moa base on a savage 110 and had the same problem. Frill the heads off and remove the screws with pliers. EGW sells heavy duty replacement torx screws on their website.

haha, I guess that was a stupid question, but i never even heard of that before.

Well I finally got this last screw out. I went to home depot and bought a grabit pro set and once i figured it out it worked wonderfully.

I started with the small bit but it wouldnt work, probably because the screw head was so messed up and too wide. So I used the next size up, still didnt work. then i finally tried the biggest one and it worked like a charm.