• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stripped out action screw on a 10/22

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
A close family member of mine has a Ruger 10/22 that they put a Kidd barrel on and a KRG Bravo on (at my suggestion). I don't know why, but they clean it after every range trip (maybe 50 rounds when they go). I don't know what happened but they stripped out the action screw in the receiver... before they buy another receiver, is this one salvageable?

It seems to me the best option is to ream this out and tap it for the next size up, but I realize that would change the torque value needed when installing it in the Bravo. Does anyone know how to compute the new torque value needed? Also, what is the recommended torque value that KRG suggests? I don't own a 10/22 and this family member has lost the documentation.

They asked me about using a Helicoil, but I didn't think that was a great idea as this 10/22 is used for "precision" and didn't think a Helicoil was the best option for that.

Anyone have any thoughts on it before he buys another receiver?

I honestly think the best option is to buy another receiver and use that with the Kidd barrel and Bravo chassis, then tap this receiver out for the next size up, slap the factory barrel and stock on it and have a 2nd rifle (10/22 in stock form).

Here is a picture of the stripped out hole...

Attachments

• 20240626_200339.jpg
    20240626_200339.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 59
If it was me, I’d just get a new receiver. I’d probably use it as an excuse to get a Kidd receiver for $240, but he could also get the Brownells receiver for $130.

If it was me, I’d just get a new receiver. I’d probably use it as an excuse to get a Kidd receiver for $240, but he could also get the Brownells receiver for $130.

He's too cheap for a Kidd receiver (my suggestion). I found a factory receiver he can but for $80, he said he'll probably buy it next weekend, I'm just wondering if salvaging this for his rifle is worth while.

Check at your local hardware store, Lowes, Grainger and see if they have a thing called a " helicoil kit " for that particular size screw and thread. What it amounts to is a drill bit, tap and a few coils that look like twisted wire and a tool to insert them after you retap the hole.

Probably cost about half the price of his reciever to do this.

Check at your local hardware store, Lowes, Grainger and see if they have a thing called a " helicoil kit " for that particular size screw and thread. What it amounts to is a drill bit, tap and a few coils that look like twisted wire and a tool to insert them after you retap the hole.

Probably cost about half the price of his reciever to do this.
I mentioned in my first post that I wasn't sure a Helicoil was a great option for this. I've used them before in other applications, but not on a rifle. Would a helicoil, just basically being a spring holding the action screw, introduce any issues between the action and the chassis that might degrade accuracy of the rifle?

I mentioned in my first post that I wasn't sure a Helicoil was a great option for this. I've used them before in other applications, but not on a rifle. Would a helicoil, just basically being a spring holding the action screw, introduce any issues between the action and the chassis that might degrade accuracy of the rifle?
The main issue I see is that the stripped action screw hole is between the two barrel clamp screws and that will decide what course of action going forward for any modification.
If there is enough material therei would just go up a size to 5/16-18 or 24.

Reactions: lariat and Baron23
Yep, my thoughts exactly. Could tap this receiver out to use a 1/4-20 screw, put it in a wood stock, and put the factory barrel in and have a cheap plinker...
Shit I thought it was a 1/4" fastener already, shows how many times I have taken mine apart.
A grand total of once the day I bought it and changed the barrel, stock and trigger.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
Sort of puzzled as to how he stripped an action screw from cleaning the rifle? Hammering a rod thru that was stuck with too large of a patch or....???

He wants a new receiver then that's what he should do but I think the suggestions of drilling/tapping for a larger screw is a good one.

Reactions: lariat and XLR308
Sort of puzzled as to how he stripped an action screw from cleaning the rifle? Hammering a rod thru that was stuck with too large of a patch or....???

He wants a new receiver then that's what he should do but I think the suggestions of drilling/tapping for a larger screw is a good one.
If I had to place a bet on what happened, my money is on cross threaded.

If I had to place a bet on what happened, my money is on cross threaded.
That’s certainly a reasonable speculation as to cause, but the OP said something about it happening when cleaning and I’d be surprised if the pulled the BA out for just routine cleaning. But I may well be wrong about all of this.

I don't know why, but they clean it after every range trip (maybe 50 rounds when they go). I don't know what happened but they stripped out the action screw in the receiver.

That’s certainly a reasonable speculation as to cause, but the OP said something about it happening when cleaning and I’d be surprised if the pulled the BA out for just routine cleaning. But I may well be wrong about all of this.
That's a valid point, since we are speculating he may have pulled it to remove the barrel to clean from the breach but I'm just guessing at this point.
All I have ever done with mine is pull a snake through it with solvent or the Gunslick cable cleaning kit I only use on my 10/22.
Maybe someday I will get one of the nice aftermarket recievers that a cleaning rod can be run through the back end.

Drill a hole in the back, takes 10 min.
This book has some handy tips including drilling the maintenance hole.
I have thought about it, it is the 50th anniversary rifle with engraved bolt although nothing really special I didn't want to permanently modify it.
I would rather buy another reciever to tinker with.

Reactions: Aqua Mark
The receiver can be saved. If your bud doesn’t want to go that route there are those who will turn it into a working model. This sale will offset the cost of a Kidd. PM whoever you want regarding this. There will be buyers. It’s just a 10-22 receiver, but there is enough knowledge here to make it more than work.