• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Subsonic Cold Bore?

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
While waiting for my suppressor approval I have been working on a subsonic load.

The problem I have been having is the cold bore shot is consistently 950fps and 6 moa low vs. the following 1050 fps shots.

This has been consistent now for 4-5 sessions. It doesn't matter if the bore is clean or fouled it's still the same.

Is this a common occurrence or just a problem that I am having?

308 load data:
Winchester brass
10.8 gr. Trail Boss
210m primers
Hornady 180 rn

Re: Subsonic Cold Bore?

Very common...

Run a patch of oil down the bore and rub a little oil on each bullet. It will keep the velocities much more consistent.

Sir,
I would do as these guys have suggested and if you still have the trouble, consider boring the flash holes out and leaving just enough rim to hold the primer aginst the firing pin. I have done this for years and it will give more shot to shot consistancy. I am not having a problem with CBS either. I think that was why I went to boring the FH. Long time ago, cannot remember for sure now. You might consider IMR 4227 powder. It is the most consistant for me with SS loads. Is "trail boss" a ball powder?

Thanks for all the information.

I think I can get some magnum primers locally and will also try lubing the bullets. I'm sure getting the proper size bushing for the wc brass wont hurt either.

As many know Trail Boss is a light weight powder that looks like little donuts. I think it's 9 oz. that they use to fill a Hogdon-IMR bottle.

What can you expect for load density with 4227 in a 308 case?

Load density will be very bad with 4227. I would guess about 28%. It does work well for me with the bored flash holes and F215M primers. PM if you want the specific load/mil hold data/vel temp etc. I can give you all and get you to 200 yards with the same sight setting I use with my 175SMK load that I use to 800. This is what I use culling deer. Two loads one sight setting and shoot to 800. The bullet I use is the Lapua sub sonic 200 grain with the rebated BT. This is with a Mil reticule

If you want to get away from TB you can also look into Unique and Red Dot.

I've successfully shot Red Dot and Unique in subsonic loads with good shot to shot consistency. If you can't find Trailboss or it's expensive you might try them. A whole pound of Unique costs less than 9oz of TB around me.