• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Suggestions for a sub $500 optics for AR carbine?

Re: Suggestions for a sub $500 optics for AR carbine?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captramrod01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Viper PST 1-4x would be a good route to take.</div></div>

+1 there, or maybe a used burris xtr. Although, I have to say I really don't like the burris cqb recticle,(or whatever it is called).

If you like red dots the vortex offerings are cheap and work well for plinking. You could also get a used aimpoint for 300 or so, and eotechs are also in your price range.

Or, save 500$ and use your iron sights...

FWIW I had a 1-4 vortex and I don't think that you can find a nicer "carbine" scope under 500. Really to get something better you have to spend 800+.

+1 for the Viper PST 1-4. the PSTs are really solid scopes. Also, +1 for iron sights. nothing wrong with using the iron sights and i personally think that it can be more fun to use them depending on the situation.

For out to 150, I agree, irons are fine. Maybe a red dot or holographic sight? If you want your basis covered to 4 or 500 yards, the 1-4x option is great, especially with that budget.

In ND are you gonna use it for deer hunting too? Keep an eye out on SWFA's sample list for a demo SS 3x9. Mount it using a quick detach mount, so you can go from scope to irons without much work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musashidin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Burris Fullfield Tac 30 1-4?

Burris Fullfield Tac 30 1-4

I was shopping for the same thing and this was the scope I was looking at and it's around $300. </div></div>

just not sure what there is to like about that recticle. it is setup for cqb. For that kind of work you don't even need an optic. More point and click. If anything get a used aimpoint m2 or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musashidin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Burris Fullfield Tac 30 1-4?

Burris Fullfield Tac 30 1-4

I was shopping for the same thing and this was the scope I was looking at and it's around $300. </div></div>

just not sure what there is to like about that recticle. it is setup for cqb. For that kind of work you don't even need an optic. More point and click. If anything get a used aimpoint m2 or something. </div></div>

it's a very popular 3 gun optic
testing one out myself
for shots at 10 yards out to 500...

I will have to take your word for it. I personally don't like it and don't make any excuses for it. It it works for you...right on. One size does not fit all in the optics world.....that's for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will have to take your word for it. I personally don't like it and don't make any excuses for it. It it works for you...right on. One size does not fit all in the optics world.....that's for sure. </div></div>

I just got one the other day to test, no dogs in this fight so to speak
smile.gif

just stating that it is a popular 3 gun scope
would I recommend it for defense, LE, Mil, etc..? nope

It all depends on your ultimate application.

If you don't need illumination, weaver makes a very fine 1-3x scope that is an excellent optic for general daylight use.

Falcon Optics makes a dandy 1.5-5x optics, very good for hunting and range use.

You can always check out any of the shotgun and muzzleloader scopes made by various manufactuers. They usually have a reticle that is quite fast to pick up and also capable of very good accuracy, plus they have very forgiving eye relief.

There is the aforementioned Burris Tac-30 and the Vortex available.

Don't discount a good red dot sight for those shots out to 150 yards either. They are VERY fast to acquire and give good accuracy out to that range, though it is "battle" accuracy and not target accuracy.

Many folks are happy with their Millet DMS scopes, though the quality can be spotty. I believe primary arms has their own version of the same scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will have to take your word for it. I personally don't like it and don't make any excuses for it. It it works for you...right on. One size does not fit all in the optics world.....that's for sure. </div></div>

I just got one the other day to test, no dogs in this fight so to speak
smile.gif

just stating that it is a popular 3 gun scope
would I recommend it for defense, LE, Mil, etc..? nope

</div></div>

Was that your thread with the two ARs setup for 3gun? One with the burris and the other with the vortex?

I can see how it could be a decent 3 gun setup. I like the aimpoint on the 1 o'clock mount myself. Like I said though. it is all personal preference....that's for sure.

Edit: I could see how having one optic would be quicker to use vs. switching between two.

Not sure what type of "optics" the OP is looking for, but

if you are looking for a tradition magnafied optic you cannot go wrong with the Vortex Viper PST 1-4, as many others have pointed out.

if you are looking for a red dot type optic (which would be more suitable for just 150 yards and in) then my first choice would be an Aimpoint Micro. Second choices would be one of the larger Aimpoint offerings or an EO Tech.

I'm am undecided to what I should do. The 1-4's look like a great scope for where I am, but I don't think this rig will see much hunting. It may become part of a three gun but for now it will be for steel,paper and plinking out to 150 and will probably be tried out a little farther.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm am undecided to what I should do. The 1-4's look like a great scope for where I am, but I don't think this rig will see much hunting. It may become part of a three gun but for now it will be for steel,paper and plinking out to 150 and will probably be tried out a little farther. </div></div>

I would say try the eotech with one of the bdc recticles then. Should do you fine. You can always add a magnifier to it later or sell it and upgrade if it no-longer fits your needs.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=44&cat=2

edit: I have never owned an eotech, I have always had aimpoints. However, never heard many complaints from guys who have had them.