• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suggestions on long distance targets / roo rifle?

Chirgwin

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2011
Already have a Rueger 22. 250 Varmit, but looking at getting something bigger for long distance targets / roos and pig shooting. A mate suggested a Tikka T3 .270 Varmit / Tactic or .300 Win Mag. Any suggestions on what would be good? I want something with high velocity and flat projectile. Cheers.

Re: Suggestions on long distance targets / roo rifle?

sounds like your down under? Never shot a Roo but i would think a 260 would be more than enough for anything on your continent plus its great for targets out to 1k

there is a stick at the top of the bolt action forum that compares a lot of the common, and some of the not so common calibers.

cheers

I'm going to assume you dont reload yet. What calibers are most common in your area. (no I dont mean what people say, I mean what *you* see on the shelf)

From there, we can give recommendations.

Yeah, South Australia. I've shot foxes at 280m with the 250, and roos to 220 metres, but just keen on getting a higher powered rifle. Basically I want to get a rifle as powerful as I can without too much recoil, coz I'm only little!! Cheers, I'll have a look at that tab.

No, I don't do reloads yet, but have a few mates that have all the equipment, so would get into. The common calibres around here would be .223 .243 .308 .22/250 .270 .30-06 .7mRem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag. Mate has a Tikka T3 6.5. Brand wise would be Remington, Rugers, Winchesters, Tikka, Browning, Howa, Marlin, Sako, Savage. www.adelaidegunshop.com.au That's where I've bought all my rifles from because they have been the most competative. I'm after a good quality one, so not too concerned about cost. Cheers.

Well, since moderators/suppressors are specifically banned in your country, most of the "tacticool" models that come threaded wont help you.

I'd recommend 308. Should be very easy to find match ammo, and it should be cheaper than the rest. (price per shot)

It'll give you the accuracy and distance you want. If you're pushing some Federal Gold Match 175gr 308, it should get you out to a kilometer with reasonably good accuracy.

On the rifle its a "pick your flavor" kinda deal. Whatever action impresses you the most and has the feature you like, snag it. I could act like a tool fan-boy and recommend a brand of rifle because its the only type I own (a good 80% of the responses you'll get), but I'd rather leave it up to you.

Your friend is pretty smart.That Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 is a great long range hunting cartridge.The trick is using high ballistic coefficient bullets like 123-140 grain.The High BC bullets retain velocity,energy and blow less in wind than lighter lower BC bullets.I'm very impressed with my friends Tikka in that cartridge.

Thanks for your comments. I'm tossing up between the 6.5 X 55 or the .270 I think. The .308 may have to come as the next one, as I'm still concerned about me ending up 6ft behind the spot that I pull the tigger at!! Cheers.

Chirgwin,

May i say that this is probably not the best forum to ask questions re: Roo shooting as this is predominantly a US forum.

In saying that I will give my opinion in response to your question.
I wouldn't be concerned with the recoil of a 308, they barely kick at all. Put it this way, my 55kg Mrs shoots my .300wm and she has no issues, they kick a fair bit more than a .308.

If i was shooting roos exclusivly I would use a .243 or a 22-250, for pigs 308 and up. If your not going to eat it there is no such thing as overkilling something, but you sure can underkill things.

why give up the 22.250? great flat shooting round, capable of real good accuracy and terminal effects.

there arent many factory available calibres that will beat its trajectory until you start reaching past 500m.

you should consider ammo cost and availability as a major factor. every gun shop always stocks HEAPS of 22.250 243 and 308 ammo so with one of them you never need run out.

personally i'd recommend the 243, i feel it just edges out the 308 when you consider ballistics, costs, recoil, noise, availablilty, reloading options etc etc. available in bolt, lever, and pump guns.

certainly won't be giving up the .22 250 as I've been nothing but impressed with it. That will still be my main roo rifle, but just want something that I can do some really long distance shooting / targets with and take pig / buffalo shooting if I ever get the chance! Cost of bullets isn't a concern as I really wouldn't be usuing it that much.

Thanks for your suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChirgwinLivestock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm tossing up between the 6.5 X 55 or the .270 I think.</div></div>
Those are two excellent, and very under-rated, long range cartridges. Find out which one you can get the best supply of long range ammo for (price and availability) and go with that one.

Personally, I like that old, corroded 6.5x55 Swedish Surplus ammo that everyone else runs from. I've shot some very consistant groups with that "pennies per cartridge" ammo.

On the .270 side, Matrix Ballistics is making some amazing long range bullets for the .270 and with easy to find brass, that will make a heck of a long range rifle.

http://www.matrixballistics.com/

http://www.matrixballistics.com/.277-Caliber-rifle-bullets.html#matrixballisticsVLD

.277-cailbre-175GR-VLD-rifle-bullet.jpg
.277-cailbre-165GR-VLD-rifle-bullet.jpg

Good suggestions all around, but, as you can see, still lots of choices. Recoil is a largely subjective subject, but you mentioned not wanting to get beat up. More powerful cartridges also typically have more noise and muzzle blast, which can interfere with good shooting. In my experience, moving up to a 30-06 or beyond seems to cross a recoil threshold for many, so staying at a 270/308/6 to 6.5 millimeter is probably a good idea unless you know you are comfortable going above that. We (my wife and two sons and I) really enjoy our .270s for hunting. There are a relatively large number of bullets available for it as well, so it is pretty versatile.

Good luck - hope to get down under again sometime soon - really enjoyed our last visit.