Super Shot TV show is now funderd looking for shooter Reality TV

Greg Hogue

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2017
My name is Greg Hogue , My background in not marksmanship, but I did spend my time in USMC. My family felt that all young men owed their country service. I was aviation ordnance and later EOD . While I conceder myself a good novice marksman, I am not on the level of any of the people on this forum. I recently retired from the federal fire service , and I am a drag racer. I have been involved in promoting drag race teams and my own team. While at the Performance Racing industry show in December I found my self talking to one of the people that makes reality shows a reality. Long story short we started talking about my racing buddy's 40,000 ranch and ultra long range marksmanship. With in a short period of time I had one of my crazy ideas. We are up and running with almost fully funded 7 episode show that is for now called Super Shots

What is open is the distant , and format of actual competition. I would ask for any suggestions . Who possibly could be judges . The format is 32 shooter , or possibly 16 two person teams .

The field is open to military , former military , Police , and clubs The invitation is open to shooter from all over the world.

There is currently a lot of discussion happening n the ELR world to standardize or at least consult on what would be best practices so we don't have people just throwing rounds downrange at oversized target and calling it good.

We had two meetings at Shot show, and currently Applied Ballistics is taking the lead with their ELR Central as part of the effort.

Nobody is looking to telling anyone what they can or cannot do, but we are trying to add substance to the effort as it's growing. A lot of really good people in the field of ELR shooting are brainstorming and it might be worth talking to them.

What we are trying to avoid, even through it gets a lot of views, is this constant idea that every poke is some how a world record and just because you tossed 20+ rounds downrange and connected with one doesn't a record make. Part of the focus, is the story, everything it takes to build an ELR rifle, too put together ELR capable ammo, and what is necessary to actually get repeatable hits on a target, even if that means the max effective range has to shrink so it's credible. ELR is a commitment in more ways than one, it's expensive, it requires a lot of space, in most cases it's a team effort to do it right.

Lots of stuff to consider ...

I agree I am very luck and live in NW AZ so I have 3000+ meters of desert 15 minute drive from my house. When shoot over 1500 yards I don't shoot more then 3 rounds at a target. If I can't get the hit in 3 round then it doesn't count. Like LowLight said I could put up a big target and lob rounds out to 2500+ all day till I get a hit with my .338lm but that's not accuracy just the law of average's. I will like to see some guide lines or best practice so we are comparing apples to apples.

The "record" aspect doesn't appeal to me much, in part because I don't expect to ever compete for one. Frank's discussion covers the topic far better than I can. For my own point of view, I shoot ELR to learn how to extend the range where I feel confident that I have a decent chance for first shot hit. For sure, you're going to miss some first shots if you want to learn, improve and stretch the range.

But to the OP, it's cool that you came here to get input. Good luck putting together a show that gets it right. Hire Frank or one of the other (few) ELR gurus that will steer you in the right direction.