• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Superior Tactical Solutions Quad Barrels

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
What can yall tell me about the Superior Tactical Solution quad barrels? Just picked up a used quad this morning with a 22mag sts bull barrel that should make it to my FFL about thursday. Never heard of them until today and didn't really care what barrel it had since I was expecting stock, but I'm curious what it is I'm getting.

Re: Superior Tactical Solutions Quad Barrels

I have a Tactical Solutions (not sure if they are the same).22LR one on a 10/22 bought here on the Hide a couple of weeks ago and it is really accurate with CCI mini mags..Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOOTNECK9Z45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Tactical Solutions (not sure if they are the same).22LR one on a 10/22 bought here on the Hide a couple of weeks ago and it is really accurate with CCI mini mags..Mike </div></div>
No, they are different companies, but that's what I thought when they told me about it too. I'd like to see tac-sol start making some lightweight barrels for a quad now that I've got one on the way though.

They're made In Henderson Ky, The company its a id say Small to medium sized custom gun builder Mainly specializing in Bolt Action Long Range/ Tactical builds they do some damn good work to a 10/22 .. Their Quad barrels are made from Various Barrel makers blanks Green Mountain Lijia ETC if you call em and leave em a message they call ya right back nice folks to talk to Straight Shooters and up front on their work

Well, it arrived sooner than I thought and got to my FFL this morning, picked it up this afternoon. I was a little bit surprised to see that the barrel is stainless with aluminum "jacket". I was expecting a fluted stainless barrel but didn't ask when they described it as a light weight bull barrel. No markings at all on the barrel other than the yellow ring they put around it. I'll see how it shoots tomorrow.

Well, for those that may be interested, here are some pictures.

Rifle with barrel off:
sakobarrel005.jpg

Barrel all by its lonesome, missing its friend Mr. Sako. Notice the difference in the metal from the part that locks into the reciever and the rest of the barrel?
sakobarrel004.jpg

Here is a little closer shot of the chamber end and if you look close you can see where the two different metals meet:
sakobarrel003.jpg

A close up of the muzzle end. A little bit dirty, but hey I spent a few hours at the range trying to find what it likes to eat and dirty barrels shoot better anyways!
laugh.gif

sakobarrel002.jpg

Friends united! Back together again with Mr. Sako.:
sakobarrel001.jpg

I'm affraid I have more questions than I do answers. I intended to call STS and find out if they ever made a barrel in this configuration, but never got around to it. The other day I did call tactical solutions, who makes this type of barrel for the 10/22 and asked them if it could possibly be one of their barrels and they stated that they never have and currently don't, have any intention on making sako quad barrels.

It is definitely aluminum. It scratches too easy to be anything else, too light to be solid stainless, not "cold feeling" like steel and as the pictures show there are two different metals there. When I picked it up, I stupidly forgot to bring a case with me to bring it home in. So I stuck it behind the back seat of my truck where it couldn't be seen and was inaccessable. As I was taking it out it [color:"Red"]lightly[/color] brushed against the seat hinge and put a small scratch on the barrel, enough to ever so slightly raise a burr. Stainless wouldn't have done that. No worrys though, it should buff right out with a brillo pad.

Any thoughts on what it is?

Bryan are you saying that STS stated they have never made a Quad?
If so that's interesting as I have one of their 22lr barrels in black on my Quad. I'll have to look to see if I can find a makers mark on the barrel. Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bryan are you saying that STS stated they have never made a Quad?
If so that's interesting as I have one of their 22lr barrels in black on my Quad. I'll have to look to see if I can find a makers mark on the barrel. Donald </div></div>

No, I have yet to talk to <span style="color: #990000">Superior</span> Tactical Solutions in KY, the maker of quad barrels. I spoke with Tactical Solutions, from up in UT or ID (can't remember which right now) who does make aluminum/stainless barrels for Rugers along with various other parts. The girl that answered the phone told me they never have and currently don't have any intention on making a quad barrel. Gets a little confusing between the two names.

Cool, I misread your post. Here's the lable from the package my TST came in. The barrel has no markings and is painted black. It's heavy so I'm sure its all stainless steel and not a sleeved barrel like yours. Donald
DSC03915.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireman610</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're made In Henderson Ky, The company its a id say Small to medium sized custom gun builder Mainly specializing in Bolt Action Long Range/ Tactical builds they do some damn good work to a 10/22 .. Their Quad barrels are made from Various Barrel makers blanks Green Mountain Lijia ETC if you call em and leave em a message they call ya right back nice folks to talk to Straight Shooters and up front on their work</div></div>
Just got off the phone with them and will agree with what you said, nice folks to talk to and seem like straight shooters. The guy I talked with, wish I could remember his name, said they did in fact make a few aluminum sleaved quad barrels for Whittaker Guns that did not have any markings on them. So, I'm pretty confident that is what I have now. I asked him about a 22LR barrel and he happened to have one in stock that someone ordered and then changed their mind about buying. So guess who just got a heck of a deal on a 22LR barrel! It is a 18" varmit contour, straight for about 2" then straight taper down to .710 at the muzzle, 1-9" twist with match chamber. He said he tested it and it shot a bug hole. Sounds like just the ticket for shooting sub-sonics when I get off my ass and buy a suppressor.