• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Suppressors/Nightvision in South Africa

Mississippian

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2005
Yazoo City, Mississippi
Im going on a cull hunt in South Africa next month and thought I would take my silencer and night vision if its determined to be legal. My PH says its ok for RSA but Ive gotta be sure its ok to leave the United States and return with these items. I plan to research this extensively beyond just asking my PH and posting on a forum but I thought this would make interesting discussion! Thanks!!

Re: Suppressors/Nightvision in South Africa

Not an expert here, but you may run into trouble taking NV out of the USA, and I would imagine there would be quite a bit of hassle to get either back into the country if you managed to get them out.

The company I work for manufactures, exports NV and Thermal worldwide...depending on what type of NV you are taking with you it may not need a license to go and come back in. I'm more than happy to give an assist if needed.

It is an ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) violation.

You need to file a DSP 73 to export NV technology.

You need to file an entirely different ball of wax with both the BATF & DOS to export NFA items.

Basically...it's a bad idea.

Thanks for the information. Maybe I will check with the outfitter to see if he has a suppressor I could use. May have to get an adapter made but im sure that would be easier than a bunch of BATF paperwork!! Mr. Henry, I have a D760 that just had a new Litton gen 3 autogated tube installed. The ITT tube went south! Any information pertaining to taking this unit to RSA would be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is an ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) violation.

You need to file a DSP 73 to export NV technology.

You need to file an entirely different ball of wax with both the BATF & DOS to export NFA items.

Basically...it's a bad idea. </div></div>

+1, exactly as Chris posted

A close friend recently returned from a trip to RSA with a prominent, nationally known HP shooter from a place that sounds like it would be much farther north. A suppressor was taken. Longest baboon kill-1200yd, avg 900yd. Some LR 6mm cartridge.
Unfortunately, I have no idea exactly what red tape was involved.

An update from the Optics company that just worked on my scope, word is no Generation 3 NV optics may leave the country so it will be staying at home. Not even going to bother with the suppressor, the outfitter should have one I can use anyway.

Hope you had a good time over here
smile.gif

Were they priced ok & worth the $?
Wherer in SA did you hunt?
smile.gif

Just back from the RSA

10 day hunt, half in the Sandvedt Reserve in the north central part and half in Grahmstown, Eastern Cape. Had a great time, 3 of us took 21 plains game trophies.
Our PH, Russ Field was equipped with several suppressors, which are fairly disposable there. The are lightly made with no intention of lasting too long; and are unregulated. If I end up traveling regularly to RSA, I'll have a can made for my rifle and leave it there. A .30 cal rifle suppressor is about $300.

Had no need for NV; but several years ago I loaned a friend some GEN III which he in turn loaned for a hunt in South Africa. I had no idea where it was going, but it made it there and back with no trouble.

I'm pretty sure US made and registered suppressors make their way to Africa and back, I'd suspect the trouble lies coming back. We didn't have to open a bag or case at Dulles customs.

I wouldn't try to take either

Re: Just back from the RSA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had no need for <span style="color: #FF0000">NV</span>; but several years ago I loaned a friend some <span style="color: #FF0000">GEN III</span> which he in turn loaned for a hunt in <span style="color: #FF0000">South Africa</span>. I had no idea where it was going, but <span style="color: #FF0000">it made it there and back</span> with no trouble.</div></div>

You just admitted knowingly violating ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations), the Commerce Export Administration Regulations (EARs) and potentially IEEPA (the International Emergency Economic Powers Act). The U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry & Security - Office of Export Enforcement (DOC, BIS-OEE) assigned third generation night vision an Export Classification Control number (ECCN) of 6A003 in its Commerce Control List (CCL); specifically, subsections b.3 and b.4 regulate the export of "imaging cameras incorporating image intensifiers or focal plane arrays", which are controlled due to NS, NP, RS, AT, UN concerns (NS = national security, NP = nuclear nonproliferation, RS = regional stability, AT = anti-terrorism and UN = United Nations sanctions).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure US made and registered suppressors make their way to Africa and back, I'd suspect the trouble lies coming back. We didn't have to open a bag or case at Dulles customs.</div></div>

You cannot export U.S.-made suppressors either without proper licensing. Why do you think Erik Prince @ Blackwater/Xe was indicted and fled to Abu Dhabi?