• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Surplus WC852-

krunchnik

The Crow
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2024
Tennessee
Looking for any info I can find about Winchester WC852 surplus powder-
I know it can be used in .308 and .223 but I can't find much info about any loading data-
I already am a Load Data member and also Ammoguide-
Neither one has much info about surplus powder-
Any info would be greatly appreciated-

I've use a bit of WC 852. The issue with it is that it had varied quite a bit in burning speed, depending on the lot. Jeff Bartlett sold a bunch of it on his website. There were 3 burning speeds. Fast lots were close to H-335, Medium lot (which is what I have) is close to H-380 and slow lots were very near 4831 speed. I bought mine from Jeff Bartlett who was very knowledgeable on the subject.

You will need to determine what speed your lot is.

WC-852 was loaded in M2 30/06 ammo.

The surplus powders for 223 & 308 are WC844 ( H-335) & WC846 (BLC-2). I've shot some WC-844 and it is very close to H-335. Those two powders could also vary from lot to lot, but not as much as the WC 852 did.

Last edited:
I did receive a 8lb jug of WC846 also from my Dad-
I gave away the WC852 due to the lack of data and I also would only use it in .308 or .223-not the greatest powder for those-
I will however use the WC846 and start the loads using BLC2 data minus around 15%-
Thanks everyone for the input-