• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Swagers..... A review

18Echo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
In July I swaged 250 LC70 308 cases with an RCBS deluxe swager die set, $24. It took a long, long time and the primers still went in kind of clunky.

It was also a pain in the ass to remove the swaged case off of the swager shell holder, even with the removal platform sometimes taking several whacks with the press handle.

4 days ago did an additional 182 cases, same issues as above.

tuesday drove to Dillon's in Scottsdale AZ and purchased the Super Swage 600 for $107 out the door w/tax. Set up was simple and after an initial test with six cases, which I primed as a final test, the primers went in without any "clunk."

Wednesday swaged 500 LC70, took about 1 1/2 hours sitting and watching tv while doing it. So easy my 4 year old girl could swage the rounds without trouble.

Today did another 500.

While the $24 kit works, and is a method, it definitely is not the preferred method. Even if I never swage another piece of brass, it was worth the money for the dillon unit.

that is all........

Re: Swagers..... A review

Good to hear! I have a Dillon swager and haven't even used it yet! I have been accumulating brass and need to do it at some point!
Question for you guys...
I have a mixed bag of unknown brass (probable crimped and uncrimped). Haven't even removed primers yet.
Is it best to sort what I think is crimped or can you just cycle them all through the swager? Sorry if this is a newbie question...

You can cycle them all through the swager, you'll just feel no resistance on the uncrimped ones. Make sure you adjust your swaging rod to ensure you don't overswage. I did this by swaging and priming one round at a time until I got the resistance I wanted when seating a primer.

I got the RBCS unit back in the early 80's and had the same experience. It works but it's a definite pain. I swore I was through with crimped cases but still have most of a case (1,000) of the crimped PRIVI to run through my M1As and OBR. I'll try the reamer I have that goes on the Wilson trimmer, but if that doesn't work like a charm then I see a Dillon in my future.

I love my dillon super swage, Ive used it on around 5000 LC 5.56 rounds so far, I was using the RCBS prep center with a reamer before I got the dillon but it just took to long with the RCBS

Interesting... I'm about the first person to complain and bitch about tedious work, but I get by just fine with my RCBS swager.

I clamp a hunk of wood to my bench just behind the press handle, so that it limits how far down the press ram can go. I set it so the "knock the case off the swager cup" doesn't fall off the swager. The wood also provides somthing solid to serve as a "stop" to knock against to remove cases from the swager.

I set up ziplock bag filled with brass to be swaged to the left of the press, and ensure the bag is wide open, so that it is easy to grab a piece of brass with my left hand.

I sit in front of the press, with a small bucket (jerky strip dog treats from Costco) between my legs. Brass thats been swaged goes into this bucket.

I've found the most crucial part of my technique is left hand efficiency. As the right hand pulls the lever, the left hand grabs a piece of brass. Once right hand pushes the lever back up and knocks the swaged brass from the swager, my left hand (with fresh brass still in it) grabs the swaged brass off the swager and places the fresh piece onto the swager. As my right hand pulls the lever, my left hand drops the swaged brass into the bucket, and reaches for another piece of fresh brass.

This method is MUCH faster than my traditional method, which was to grab brass from the bag, place it in the press, swage, grab the swaged brass, stick in the bucket, grab another piece of brass.

Other than my left arm/hand getting tired because it is in constant motion, this process goes fast when you get the rhythym going. I can do 300pcs/hour this way.