• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

TAB Suppressor Covers: nice stuff

Re: TAB Suppressor Covers: nice stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the price, they ought to be. </div></div>

Try a cheap can cover, then don't mind me laughing my ass off while you're scraping melted crap off your can.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the price, they ought to be. </div></div>

Ever hear of John Ruskin?

<span style="font-style: italic">“It is unwise to pay too much but it’s unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much you lose a little money that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was not capable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.

It can’t be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.

And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better!”</span>

Slings, shooting mat or suppressor cover - I've never ahd any reason to regret the TAB Gear kit I've bought.

What I meant was I can take $20 worth of Velvet Shield and $6 worth of nomex thread and make 4 covers in half an hour. Certainly not as nice as a TAB cover, but just as effective and an order of magnitude cheaper. You can cook TAB covers, too.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be pleased with them, I'm just saying that I would expect a very good product and would only be surprised if they weren't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I meant was I can take $20 worth of Velvet Shield and $6 worth of nomex thread and make 4 covers in half an hour. Certainly not as nice as a TAB cover, but just as effective and an order of magnitude cheaper. You can cook TAB covers, too.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be pleased with them, I'm just saying that I would expect a very good product and would only be surprised if they weren't. </div></div>

We are talking $65, I can come up with that much in change if I dig behind my truck seat.

i shot with mark s^^ yesterday and that cover makes a HUGE difference! with the heat we were shooting in, no sense in trying to read wind/mirage with that much heat coming off your can.

phenomenal product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mateofeo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shot with mark s^^ yesterday and that cover makes a HUGE difference! with the heat we were shooting in, no sense in trying to read wind/mirage with that much heat coming off your can.

phenomenal product. </div></div>

That's why you were able to shoot that hellacious 5 round group @ 1000 with 3" aiming disc in the crap conditions right?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mateofeo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shot with mark s^^ yesterday and that cover makes a HUGE difference! with the heat we were shooting in, no sense in trying to read wind/mirage with that much heat coming off your can.

phenomenal product. </div></div>

That's why you were able to shoot that hellacious 5 round group @ 1000 with 3" aiming disc in the crap conditions right?
grin.gif
</div></div>

absolutely. i needed all the help i could get with all the wind changing direction.

1/2 minute left. wait, 1/2 minute right. wait, left again
wink.gif

Thank you for the support guys I appreciate it.

I'm constantly amazed when someone has paid anywhere from $500 to $2000 for a suppressor and then has a problem with paying $62 to $72 for a suppressor cover.

Flyrodder I'm sure you could make your own covers that look like mine. It's not rocket science making nylon gear. It's easy to sit back and say something costs too much when you haven't put the time in developing a product. When you don't have material costs, equipment costs, labor costs, wholesale costs etc. in trying to make a business run successfully. I can assure you that I'm not making a killing on any of our products. I've had TAB GEAR for six years now and have never had a price increase, in spite of material cost increases, labor cost increases, and delivery cost increases.

Every thing we make is made in the USA with American labor and with American materials when I can find them. Some of our products are made by contract sewers around the country, but a lot of our products are made by my own family members. For example, every single suppressor cover is made by my son. My daughter makes all of our rear bags and will be making slings and other products soon. My wife does paper work and also does some of the sewing too.

You're correct you can melt one of our can covers if you use it in a manner in which it was not designed for. So what, you can tear up just about anything if you abuse it enough. You could probably ruin the can you own if you abuse it enough too. I've replaced every melted can cover at my own expense too no questions asked even when I was pretty darn sure it was abused so bad it had no choice but to fail. Well...I do ask questions, but it's not to assign blame to try to get out of replacing the cover. It's to try to find out if there is something we need to change to make our products better.

It's a fine line to walk trying to make products in the USA with USA made materials and competing with the labor rates and cheaper quality materials in other countries. On one hand you've got people wanting products made in the USA yet you've got the same guy being so happy and telling everyone how much money he's saved buying "X" product from "X" company on sale. It's funny how it's always on sale, and it's obvious that the only way it could be offered that cheap would be to have sea containers of said product being made overseas.

Thanks again to all of our customers and especially our customers in our armed forces.

I have had nothing but good experience with TAB Rifle Gear from Rifles Only. I have recently acquired a suppressor cover via a UK based retailer as I was in a hurry for one and he just happened to have what I wanted in stock; I usually order online direct and have alway been happy with the prompt service and communication provided by Lisa.

The cover fits snuggly and does the job I wanted it to do.

Excellent products backed up by great Customer Service = TAB Gear and Rifles Only.

Speaking specifically to the suppressor covers I can attest to the amount of time and energy that goes into product development. Not just materials and methods of construction but function and durability are tested to insure the customer is getting a product that will perform as intended. I cannot say enough about the quality products and quality of character you will experience when dealing with TAB Gear. While this is a shameless plug for a great guy/family/company building great gear it is also a testimonial to the value of the gear TAB Gear offers.

Danel

I am going to need a couple of these soon. Is there a consensus on which cover is better/handier/easier?? It seems like the velcro unit would be handy to remove for cooling in between stages, but the SAS3 sounds good, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to need a couple of these soon. Is there a consensus on which cover is better/handier/easier?? It seems like the velcro unit would be handy to remove for cooling in between stages, but the SAS3 sounds good, too. </div></div>

SAS3 for me. Slide it back onto the barrel to allow suppressor to cool.

Tony is one of the best people you will ever meet, or do business with. He makes great gear that will last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tony is one of the best people you will ever meet, or do business with. He makes great gear that will last. </div></div>

Since Eagle is gone we're going to need a good maker of stock packs.

Just got a Tab Gear shooting mat from Triad. A well built and well thought out mat. You'll get no argument from me on anything. As stated above, my suppressor covers from Tab Gear were well worth the cost.
Thanks for everything!

If you have room, and don't have a locking tab that sticks out past the edge of the can like the Surefire, to slide the cover back onto the barrel I'll always recommend the SAS3 cover over the SAS1.

It's easier to install and is more streamlined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have room, and don't have a locking tab that sticks out past the edge of the can like the Surefire, to slide the cover back onto the barrel I'll always recommend the SAS3 cover over the SAS1.

It's easier to install and is more streamlined. </div></div>

Plus it is harder to lose the cover with it being on the barrel vs removing it completely and setting it aside.

I've got a couple of Tony's covers and they work very well. I'll also add that when I pulled a dumbass move and shot through the end of mine Tony jumped in and offered to take care of me even though it was clearly my inattention which caused the problem.

IMG_3321.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug@Blackhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally use TAB products as well as sell them and a few reason I like them, family owed business who uses American labor, fair price, great quality. Tony is one of the good guys out there making product that will last. </div></div>

Buying American labor god bless you! PG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I meant was I can take $20 worth of Velvet Shield and $6 worth of nomex thread and make 4 covers in half an hour. Certainly not as nice as a TAB cover, but just as effective and an order of magnitude cheaper. You can cook TAB covers, too.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be pleased with them, I'm just saying that I would expect a very good product and would only be surprised if they weren't. </div></div>

FlyRodder:
If you think it is as easy as you say, why don't you go buy a 4,000 dollar sewing machine, some materials, very graciously spend hours on the phone with people who can't quite make up their mind which cover they want, and go try to feed your family on what you make off of it.

Coming into a conversation only to bitch slap a site sponsor who ceaselessly supports the military, police, and others who serve this country is pretty lame. And yes, he is a personal friend of mine, but that wouldn't have changed anything I have said about TBurkes, just ask ANYONE who knows him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have room, and don't have a locking tab that sticks out past the edge of the can like the Surefire, to slide the cover back onto the barrel I'll always recommend the SAS3 cover over the SAS1.

It's easier to install and is more streamlined. </div></div>

Does the SAS3 work on something like a M4-2000? I bought a 762SDN6 and plan on getting a cover for it when in a few months before I pick it up.

Well, I guess my comment really livened this thread up! The problem with typed messages is that they can so easily be misread. At the risk of continuing the misunderstanding, I'll try again.

First of all, I have heard nothing but good things about TAB gear, and, when I was looking for a can cover, TAB was personally recommended to me and I seriously considered purchasing one. However, I did not personally feel that $65 to $70 was worth it when less expensive options were available. My comment was intended simply to note that, for the price, I would expect them to be "well made. They are sized perfectly, worked well, and seem like they will last. Nice stuff." as the original post said. I would not consider what I said to be a "bitch slap."

How much the suppressor costs should have no bearing on what a cover costs, though. If my can cost $5000, should I be willing to pay $300 for a cover? My guess is Tburkes didn't really mean that, but for those of you who are weighing in perhaps you see how interpretation enters into this.

I certainly understand that development time and all the other associated costs are involved when a product is made for sale, and that I am not counting my time when I say I can make a workable cover for less than $10. Then again, I doubt any of you consider your time when you figure out how much reloading costs.

My comment about being able to cook a TAB cover was in direct response to sobrbiker883's comment about having to scrape "melted crap" from a "cheap cover" off a can, seemingly implying that TAB covers are indestructible.

Unlike Mark S, I do care what things cost, at least related to what they provide, which brings me back to what prompted my comment to begin with. I thought the purpose of this forum was to discuss products and techniques and to provide options for people to both make decisions and to meet their needs. I have no doubt that others have searched for can covers, found the TAB gear, and weighed the benefits of a well-thought-out, supported, quality product that is still just a tube of heat-resistant material, against the possibilities of using or even making a reasonable substitute at a lower cost.

I am glad that high-quality, thoughtful, and very useful products are available, and that they are designed and made in the US, and I factor that into my buying decisions. I often pay more to support exactly those types of products and business. I also admire the creative energies that go into these kinds of products, and respect the entrepreneurial spirit and guts that goes into starting and running a business in what can be a fickle market place. I did not intend to disparage anyone or anything along the way. But we ought to be able to share divergent opinions without all the vitriol, particularly when I was at least intending to suggest an alternative and was not trying to denigrate the product mentioned.

Tburkes, my apologies. Maybe one of these days my budget, needs, and your well-thought-of products will coincide and I'll order something off my wishlist from you. In the meantime, good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

Unlike Mark S, I do care what things cost, at least related to what they provide, which brings me back to what prompted my comment to begin with. I thought the purpose of this forum was to discuss products and techniques and to provide options for people to both make decisions and to meet their needs. I have no doubt that others have searched for can covers, found the TAB gear, and weighed the benefits of a well-thought-out, supported, quality product that is still just a tube of heat-resistant material, against the possibilities of using or even making a reasonable substitute at a lower cost. </div></div>

Don't blanket state I don't care what things cost "at least related to what they provide" you don't know me from squat.
I suggest you fold up your tent and let this die.