• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tacticool mark II

Re: Tacticool mark II

I just ordered my parts from savage. Now gotta wait for it to all come in. I will be sure to post some pictures once I get it all together.

Does anyone else have a Savage rimfire with the boyds tacticool stock? Please post pictures and your opinions on it.

Here is my wifes after I made an adjustable cheek, installed new bolt knob, and painted it.
f532bc49.jpg

Stork I'm not using a Boyds stock on mine, but an old Lakefield stock instead. In my case I ended up fabricating a trigger guard but was able to use the bottom metal, but then again mine was an MkII-f in a plastic stock. I hope that soemone pops in here and answers for you.

Dremel nice looking Savage, but I don't see a trigger guard. Are you running without one?

Yea mine is the FV so it had hte plastic trigger as part of the stock. The metal one I ordered shoule be a nice upgrade. I hope the tacticool stock has more of a centerfire feel to it. that was my biggest problem with factory plastic. It felt small thin, childish. I like a nice thick grip and the Added check hieght should be great.

Dremel where did you get the oversized bolt knob? Did you install it or have to get a gunsmith? You got a nice looking rifle. I like the paint job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...It felt small thin, childish. I like a nice thick grip and the Added check hieght should be great...</div></div>

Right there with you. I replaced mine for the same reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...It felt small thin, childish. I like a nice thick grip and the Added check hieght should be great...</div></div>

Right there with you. I replaced mine for the same reason. </div></div>

Yea i know its supposed ot be an adult 22 but its not. everything is small on me. But markII stocks are extra small. I am 6'9" its hard to find a man size stock. espcially for a 22. Hopefully this will be an improvement.

I did it my self. This was my first attempt at it and found that I needed to use about twice as many stencils. I cut them out of vinyl adhesive material. Im going to do my grendel next I think so I will post it after I get done.

before
5845451755_8bbefe4b3b.jpg

after
5845777669_7a012658df.jpg

5845777665_7d405822d2.jpg

Next will be the Eagle industries cheek rest. Then the gun will be done (for now). Prob the only thing I will do is paint it. Not so fond of the flat black everything. Might epoxy the mag plate and trigger guard to the stock for a more solid fit.

after some closer inspection I want to join they mag plate and trigger guard plate to the stock. What would be the best way to do it. I was thinking about getting epoxy and putting some one the contact points for the two.
might put lock nut on the action screws. They are wanting to sorta back out under torque. Something that didnt happen with my factory synthetic stock.

I after playing arounn with my stock I really like the feel of it. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. With the factory plastic before I felt as if I was holding and shooting a 22. This stock makes it feel like a RIFLE, not a toy. My friend is working on some patterns and stencils to paint the stock for me. I am going to do some adjustments to see if I can get the stock and the plates to work a little better, gonna glue/epoxy them together then prob add a lock washer to it to keep the torque on the actions screws right. I am also gonna order my eagle industires cheek rest tonight also. I will keep you up to date and add pictures as it progresses.

Yea i had no problems. Just ordered the parts from savage and the stock and put it together. It was little snug fit but it worked perfectly. I think that the savage mag plate and trigger gaurd are a little cheap. They should be made of thick steel for better quality. Everything fit up perfect though no problems for me. Has a wonderful feel.

Boyds website tells you the parts and part numbers to order from savage. it came out to 51 dollars with shipping, but I also ordered a 10 round mag too. So prob about 30-35 total just guessing if you didnt get the mag.
The trigger guard is molded in into the plastic stock. So you have to get that. The mag floor plate is different on the plastic vs the boyds stock. so you need one of those and a screw. Good luck hope you like it.

Awesome man, I love it!

Looking really hard at that remy 40x from cmp though. Maybe if I can manage to take my time, I can build it by end of '11.

Problem is I'm building my -06 right now, so it's taken all my money. I'm not sure if I can afford another 1000 for a .22 when I'll be shooting at 100 yards. The mk II should be perfect for that

Has anyone ever bedded there MARK II. A friend is in the process of painting my stock. And I woudl really like it bedded. How the stock and the mag plates the action all fit to gether is poor in my opinion. Id really like to steel bed and maybe pillers to. Has anyone ever dooes this or knows if it would help at all?

Interesting thread... I just took delivery of my stock yesterday. My mark II is the fancy all stainless one, that came in a Boyds thumbhole stock when new. My stainless trigger gaurd and "bottom metal" will work with the new tacticool stock, but the barrel channel inletting isn't wide enough, for long enough.

Comparing the thumbhole stock to the tacticool stock, its obvious the barrel channel on the thumbhole one is the same width/diameter from end to end. The tacticool stock is wide for the action, but necks down narrower for the barrel.

I plan to bed mine with marine tex this weekends, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about "pillars" yet. The action kinda has its own pillars already attached. I was thinking I'd just bed them all in. Otherwise, I was thinking I could make new pillars that are tall enough to go all the way through the stock.

Whats with the dove-tailed "recoil lug" on these rifles? Seems strange.

Well if you bedded them in as is. you could not seperate the action from the stock. My Im looking for some small pillers to go around them and so I can steel bed the them into the stock and it would all fit nice and tight.
My action fits very very snug into the boyds tacticool stock. The barrel remains completed free floated though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bedded my 93r17. I don't know how much the mark II differs, but I can post pics if you want. </div></div>

Please post picture and some info. It would be great appreciated.

I used brownells acraglass gel to bed the action. It is the most user friendly stuff that I've used to date. For a release agent, I used some cheapo shoe polish. I removed the trigger assembly and taped off the factory "pillars". The recoil lug inlet in the stock needs quite a bit of gel to fully bed the lug. To prep the stock I used a dremel and a cut off wheel to gouge the wood and taped off the exterior area around the action. Feel free to ask anything else.

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0091-1.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

it looks like you did not bed the area where the pillars and action screws. Was there a reason?
I was wanting to bed the those areas especially to increase the strength. Those areas seem pretty weak to me.

There isn't enough material there to do any kind of glass bedding around the pillars. I'd have to construct a "dam" around each pillar. I'm really not sure what I want to do with the pillars yet. I may mill out a new set that would extend all of the way down to the wood or I might not do anything at all. I'm waiting on the bottom metal to arrive. If it shoots well as is, then I'm done with it. Other than cleaning up the tang area...

the bottom metal is pretty weak. I hope u have good luck withs. Mine shoots regulary about less than half inch groups at 50 yards. normal is about 3/8s. 1/4 if really do my part and everything goes right at that moment.

UPDATE: I have finished bedding my tacticool stock with pillars. I am only working out of my garage, with limited tooling...so...results aren't what I can do with a good shop.

I hogged the action screw holes in the stock out to about .550"...

2011-07-09_13-09-05_826.jpg

2011-07-09_13-09-39_984.jpg

Using some small strips of balsa wood from the hardware store, I made some epoxy dams to encapsulate my pillars...

2011-07-09_17-42-54_784.jpg

2011-07-09_17-42-47_496.jpg

For pillars, I wanted to buy some 1/2" OD aluminum solid bar, cut to length and drill on center...then file/grind a couple grooves around the outside for positive epoxy retention. Well, after trips to several hardware stores, I couldn't find the aluminum solid, so I bought a 12" long piece of 1/2-13 all thread. In hindsight, it actually worked out pretty well, as the threads give the epoxy something good to hang on to. A lathe for parting off and then drillng the pillars on CENTER woulda been nice, but I don't have one, nor access to one anymore, so I lopped off lengths off the all thread with a dremel and a cut-off wheel, used a flat bastard file to square up the ends of the new pillars, then drilled a .220" hole as best I could through the center. It came out ok. I'd give myself a grade of 85% on the execution of this job.

Here is a pic of the the pillars with stockmaking screws, ready to drop into the epoxy...

2011-07-09_18-44-42_187.jpg

I used some imperial sizing wax as a release agent for the marine tex...worked great!

2011-07-12_00-13-22_767.jpg

2011-07-12_00-14-16_626-1.jpg

2011-07-12_00-14-04_820.jpg

Turbo thats how i would like mine done, but in steel bedding instead of marine tex. Excellent job my friend. If you dont have floor plates id consider what ATHHUD is looking into. Excellent job once again. Keep us updated as you progress.

here is a picture of my rifle after my friend prainted it. I will post some more when I get a chance. I gotta put my new eagles cheek rest, bipod, and sling.
there was a small thing on the cheek area but the eagles peice will cover it.

2011-07-08_22-22-58_28small.jpg

Ive had it for over a year. that farthest ive shot is prob 170 yards or so just banging away. But its pretty accurate. if the wind is not bad i can consistantly hit 1.5inch metal spinner at 100 yards. I got a 6" gong i made im wanting to try out at 250-300 yards.
check out my youtube link right on my signature. I never claim to be a master marksman. I just want to have some fun and improve my skills. But most of my videos are about this markII. rifle.

here is some of the first 5 shot 50 yard groups after I put the new stock on.
0712111154.jpg

Thanks for posting the bedding jobs you guys did, it's extremely helpful! I'm just about to try this on my new stick for the first time and this is a huge help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911kevin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for posting the bedding jobs you guys did, it's extremely helpful! I'm just about to try this on my new stick for the first time and this is a huge help. </div></div>

In the gunsmithing forum, there is a rifle bedding sticky that I think you'll find very informative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbo, the balsa idea is genius! I doubt I can resist the temptation to bed some pillars now.... </div></div>

Go for it! Wasn't a tough job at all! After I hogged out the action screw holes, I popped the action into stock, and used a xaliper to measure down to the oem "pillars". Then cut my all thread to that length.

FYI: The action screws are 12-32

How much you charge to do it? haha. I don't know enough about bedding so I don't really want to mess things up. This is the exact setup I have tho, I can imagine the improvement bedding makes.

Here are a few pics of mine as she stands. This was just a QUICKIE paint job (my first ever!!!). I didn't do my action/scope, because I have a 20moa base on the way. Once I get that, I'll paint the whole thing.

2011-07-12_20-18-33_149.jpg

2011-07-12_20-18-50_689.jpg

2011-07-12_20-19-13_7.jpg

Yea for cheap rattle can krylon he done really good. IT will wear with time, we already decided eventually it will be the entire rifle with be painted with better paint and stuff. I am extremely pleased with it now though.
yea hes really good at odd jobs. I dont think there is anything that he says he wouldnt try. As he puts it just proper research, pateince, practice and common sense you can just about do anything.
He recently just steel bedded his remington 700. First bed job ever. LOOKS awesome. rifle shoots fantastic.
Thanks guys.