• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

target camera recommendations

Paul,

i was wondering the same thing. I ordered a longshot LR-3. I think it will do everything I want. Ideally, I would like the software to recognize and automatically mark the shot and then number them sequentially. The Longshot requires the shooter to recognize each shot and then manually mark the spot. I don't think that will be too much of a problem. Maybe a future software update will add the capability. I'll let you know how well it works.

I've used the SME quite a bit out to 2,000 for a couple of years now. For the first year we only had the knowledge to use it as a jerky maybe 3 second frame update and would not see a lot of our misses in the sand. Then someone showed us how to set up live video and we don't miss any 'misses' by the time we go to frame advance video review.

With 3 of us shooting at 1 mile/2k on a given day if there are 100 shots downrange we might miss 7 on live video? And we can always go back on frame advance video review and find out they went behind the target seeing sand fly up from behind target out to edges or an edge hit. Plus with video constantly running you can go back and review the shot string, save etc.

There may be better systems, but once you learn this I believe for the cost it's worth looking at. Since we were shown the full capability of it we've gone from luke warm on it to yahoo and love it. Pretty much the same experience from others we've shown the live shot/video integration....they went from trying it to not even using to using it/saying it sucks to using it all the time. There was a guy there with his 338 who said something along the lines of 'why even use that stupid thing it'w worthless!' this past summer. He was pissed and packing up to leave for the day b/c he couldn't see anything at 2k and I sat him down and reviewed the camera and convinced him to give it another try. He decided to put a few more down range and we found out he was about 1.5mils high. Corrected his dope and he grouped maybe 15" at 2k. Suddenly the camera was 'so awesome!'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul1262
Paul,

i was wondering the same thing. I ordered a longshot LR-3. I think it will do everything I want. Ideally, I would like the software to recognize and automatically mark the shot and then number them sequentially. The Longshot requires the shooter to recognize each shot and then manually mark the spot. I don't think that will be too much of a problem. Maybe a future software update will add the capability. I'll let you know how well it works.
Thanks

I've used the SME quite a bit out to 2,000 for a couple of years now. For the first year we only had the knowledge to use it as a jerky maybe 3 second frame update and would not see a lot of our misses in the sand. Then someone showed us how to set up live video and we don't miss any 'misses' by the time we go to frame advance video review.

With 3 of us shooting at 1 mile/2k on a given day if there are 100 shots downrange we might miss 7 on live video? And we can always go back on frame advance video review and find out they went behind the target seeing sand fly up from behind target out to edges or an edge hit. Plus with video constantly running you can go back and review the shot string, save etc.

There may be better systems, but once you learn this I believe for the cost it's worth looking at. Since we were shown the full capability of it we've gone from luke warm on it to yahoo and love it. Pretty much the same experience from others we've shown the live shot/video integration....they went from trying it to not even using to using it/saying it sucks to using it all the time. There was a guy there with his 338 who said something along the lines of 'why even use that stupid thing it'w worthless!' this past summer. He was pissed and packing up to leave for the day b/c he couldn't see anything at 2k and I sat him down and reviewed the camera and convinced him to give it another try. He decided to put a few more down range and we found out he was about 1.5mils high. Corrected his dope and he grouped maybe 15" at 2k. Suddenly the camera was 'so awesome!'.

I appreciate the detailed review.

I have the LR-3 and have used it out to 900 so far. Works great. Used with my iPhone and iPad. Very good images. You can zoom in if you need to see impacts. I use a stylus to mark my shots using the smallest shot marker dot. System worked with no problems in 6F weather. Will be taking it out to 1000yards+ as soon as the weather cooperates. The blinker mode works great except in the warm weather there were annoying flies flying on/off the target that would cause the blinker sometimes to highlight the fly instead of the impact. Highly recommend the LR-3

Reactions: BLJ
I ended up buying a Caldwell Ballistic Precision LR target camera. Should be good out to a mile but I've only used it to 1,000 yards. Big reason for this purchase was just to identify hits at ranges 600 - 1,000 yds and to confirm muzzle velocity. I keep a copy of the target on the bench and make a note of bullet location and sequence. The LR-3 is a much better camera system however, I couldn't justify the additional expense given the number of times I would be using the camera. I only paid about $300 for the Caldwell. The jaws holding the camera broke the first day however, customer service sent me a replacement within days. Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase given it's intended use.

Reactions: Longtrajectory
I have the LR-3 and have used it out to 900 so far. Works great. Used with my iPhone and iPad. Very good images. You can zoom in if you need to see impacts. I use a stylus to mark my shots using the smallest shot marker dot. System worked with no problems in 6F weather. Will be taking it out to 1000yards+ as soon as the weather cooperates. The blinker mode works great except in the warm weather there were annoying flies flying on/off the target that would cause the blinker sometimes to highlight the fly instead of the impact. Highly recommend the LR-3
Continued good luck with the LR-3 and thanks for the write up.