Rifle Scopes Target Dot Size?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I very much like the Sightron SIII 6 - 24 x 50 in MOA, but it uses a .25MOA floating target dot in the center of the crosshairs. See here.

http://aimfieldsports.com/WebRoot/LCN/Sh...x50LRMOARet.jpg

I am after precision target shooting at 100 - 300 yards. Is the .25MOA center dot too large? The dot would be .75" in diameter at 300 yards, which seems too large to me. Need to look through the scope, but can not find a unit anywhere to check it out. Not a big fan of the coarse 2 MOA hash marks. I prefer the Vortex PST 6 - 24 reticle (below) but understand the PST glass may not be on the same level as the Sightron. I would compare, but both scopes are not available.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_viper-pst_624s1-moa_details.jpg

- Phil

Re: Target Dot Size?

You believe having an aiming dot that is one click value from top to bottom is going to be too big..... Sounds like you're wanting to do benchrest style shooting, tightest groups possible with little/no tactical style shooting involved. If that's the case you need to look for a reticle with a fine crosshair.

If you are after tactical style shooting, going for simple hits on target, UKD, rapid follow-ups, multiples, movers, alternate positions and shooting against a clock, then a bold aiming point is not a bad thing.

I haven't heard too many complaints about the clarity on the Vortex PST 6-24x, actually quite the contrary. The 2.5-10x is a different story though.

Just got a dot, so I've been looking at these numbers recently.

Leupold dots are generally 1/5 moa (i.e. .2 moa) and NF dots are generally 1/6 moa at about .16 moa.

Therefore, by comparison, your instinct about the Sightron seems correct.

The Sightron 6-24X, from what I gather is meant to be more of a tactical type of scope. The dot will cover 2.5" at 1000 yards, if that matters to you. The 8-32X model has more of a target dot that subtends something like .12 or .13 MOA at max magnification. That may be more along the lines of what you're looking for.

The PST 2-24X is a nice scope. The SFP model subtends .06 MOA at max mag, and the FFP model subtends .18 MOA at max mag.

As far as the glass goes, the Sightron may have a slight edge, but glass isn't everything. If all I was worried about was glass quality, I'd be shooting with a Swarovski instead of a Nightforce. Both the Sightron and Vortex PST have glass that is more than good enough. I'd choose the one that has the options that will serve you better.

To me, it sounds like the PST is the way to go for you.