• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Target/Hunting optic recommendation

Paumanache

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2012
I want to start shooting longer ranges after practicing at 100 yds with .22-250 for ~6 years. Finally purchased a new Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 with the intention of replacing the factory stock with one that will allow full bedding and full free floating.

I am looking for scope recommendations since I don't know where to start, given my requirements.

Budget: ~$700, nothing over $1000 please.
-will be used for target AND hunting
-must have target dials
-reticle must be mil hash lines, no dots
-must be mil/mil
-must be front focal plane
-must have capability in elevation adjustments to reach 1000 yds. (base recommendations?)
-must have parallax adjustment
-don't care for illuminated reticles
-not sure if I would be better off with a fixed 10x or vari in the ~4-~16 range. I'm thinking vari since I will be using this setup for hunting as well.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Target/Hunting optic recommendation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Counter Sniper. Solves all your issues.
</div></div>
I have not heard great things about their optics. Is there a reason why you suggest them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paumanache</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Counter Sniper. Solves all your issues.
</div></div>
I have not heard great things about their optics. Is there a reason why you suggest them? </div></div>

Here we go again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paumanache</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Counter Sniper. Solves all your issues.
</div></div>
I have not heard great things about their optics. Is there a reason why you suggest them?</div></div>

Cuz poop is funny

take a look at the bushnell 3-12x44 FFP,it will work fine for hunting and target shooting ,add a 20 MOA canted base and you will be ready for 1000 yards
i don't have one but have few different bushnell tactical and i m very pleased with it

You mentioned hunting, but not what type. If you are out in the plains or open fields then a 4-16 would work, just that something in the 3-10 or 3-12 may be best suited (better field of view). Definitely not a fixed 10x, you will get frustrated trying to find a moving animal in that scope

Also not sure if you plan to keep the rifle at 26" as with a 4-16 scope, rings and bases, and a b&C or HS Presicion stock you will be adding an additional 2.5-3 lbs from the stock config.
Just that humping a 11-12 lbs rifle will get old fast.

Lastly, the 308 will reach out to 1000Y, but with a 168 Nosler-Berger your terminal velocity/ max ethical range will be anywhere from 450-600 yards for deer sized game, Elk if you hit it right in the Aorta. (approx 2000fps/1450 Ftlbs @5000 feet)

Either way, not as much mag but hella nice reticle, ffp,knobs etc. the SWFA would be an option http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx

Weight not an issue, but with hollow midots/hash Weaver Tactical EMDR http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911627/...t-reticle-matte

Perfect but a little more cash vortex viper pst http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper...CFWeFQAodQls72w

Yeah, I didn't mean 1000 yds for hunting, just paper. And for the hunting I do, the added 3-5 will not be an issue. Especially since 90% of the time will be spent on paper.

Thanks guys, I'm going to research some of the glass Roggom suggested.