• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Target Tactical Rifle (.308)

Hello,

I got a question about some Remington rifles. I'm looking to buy a Remington gun, and I got there new catalog 2010. But I don't know actually what is good or not good.

Those are the types of rifles I like (.308):
-Model XM3 tactical system.
-Model 40 XS tactical system.
-Model 40 XB TIR
-Model 40 XB TDR
-Model 40 XB tactical
-Model 40X TAC MOD.

From the info I can find/read that the rifle XM3 and 40X TAC MOD is good?
Does someody has experience with those type of rifles? I want to start with such a type of gun at the new shooting range. The shooting range max. range is 100meters (+/- 109.36yards). This I think is perfect to learn shooting with rifles for newbies & it is the range I can find, who only is 60minutes driving from home place (I know, US people will do like :D, but it is difficult to find in Belgium (Europe) a bigger range.)

Some people advise me also to buy the Sig Sauer SSG3000 or a Steyer rifle...but I like the USA weapon rifles more... and a friend of me who owns a Remington 700 VS, says Remington is a perfect buy (good weapon)...

For the ammunition, I will be learned from somebody who also shoot long time with rifles.

Beside of rifles I shoot already around 15 year regulary with pistols 9mm (Sig Sauer - Smith & Wesson - Glock - ...)

I hope somebody can give me some advise, because in the gun store everything is good....

Thank you and best regards,

Re: Target Tactical Rifle (.308)

I would advise a TRG 22 in 308. It shoots much better than any SPS Tactical that I have seen at our range. Groups consistantly run between 0.3"-0.5". most around 0.4"

Hello,

Thanx, but I want a Remington
smile.gif
and I can find more info also from those Remington rifles... and it will be probally better to get more help around it also. Best long sharpshooters are probally living in the USA and not in Belgium (Too many LAW's at Belgium)!

wink.gif

I don't know how easy/difficult it is in Europe to get rifle parts or find a gunsmith to do the work. The M700, while an excellent platform, is kind of a Work in Progress. Meaning it will take some tuning and modification to bring it up to its potential.

If it is difficult to get parts or locate a skilled gunsmith, my recommendation is to buy one of the "turn key" rifle systems. Either the AIAW, AIAE MkII or Sako TRG22. Once you take delivery of the rifle, get and mount a scope, add ammo and you're just about ready to go.

Rem rifles need a lot of work out of the book unless you get a 40x, all a 40x really is what a rem should be. What you should do is buy a cheap rem 700 receiver and only the receiver, then an over sized one piece bolt (Remington bolts are in multiple pieces that are threaded together to look like one bolt but they are not). Then select a barrel of your choice many manufactures krieger, Ober, Rock, all do the 5r style rifling. Then pick a stock of your Choice. Nice thing about doing it this way is you can pick up parts throughout the winter then build it when springs comes. If you do it this way you could produce a 1/4 MOA gun far better than anything Remington or anyone else guarantees. When looking at the 40 x tactical rifles watch what rifling they use a lot of them are specific for a certain role and bullet type and could limit you on what kind of ammunition to use. The Rem style action is one of the most accurate actions out there and no matter what you do I believe you will be happy.

I have a 40x 7.62 Nato (308) repeater. I have never owned a better rifle. There are many out there that are as good, just not many that are better. The 40X is a "Custom Shop" Remington and as such, is built with quite a bit more care than standard Remington Rifles. Any 40X should shoot .5moa. The only down-side is the price. Many believe, and rightly so, that you can have a rifle Custom made specifically to your specs for the same money. I bought my 40X used and got a great deal on it. If I had to spend "retail" for a 40X I might go the Custom Rifle route too. Good luck!

Hello,

Thanx for the fast answerds.

Building mine own rifle, would be nice
cool.gif
but extremely difficult
sick.gif
At first I have to deal with the LAW
crazy.gif
, but after lot of time and paperwork I maybe can arrange this
wink.gif
But the big problem would be, that I'm a starter on this type of guns (rifles)
blush.gif
, with no military background or knowledge!

I think it would be better to start with a builded gun completely? Mine dad his friend will learn me how to make the specific bullets for a specific gun. He make always his own munition for his REM 700 VS and shoots his bullets in a coint of 1 euro over a distance of 300meters (benchrest - 5 bullets ). But he did also some modifications on his rifle and munition from factory is never precise he says me, and he is doing this a lot of years now.

Annyway, how more I learn about it, one day I will be able to put mine own together, what is probally the best way, like you write me! But I need to start with the basics I think.

Indeed the Rem 40x is expensive. It cost around +/- 3000€ for such a rifle. Probally much more expensive
frown.gif
then the USA !

thanx and best regards,

W2003,

Don't pay 3K EUR for a remington, unless the the local (FN, Sako TRG, whatever -- run the options by us) are 2x that cost. Maybe for a 40x, but no way for a 700. As a reference point, over here a lot of guys buy a 700 for a donor rifle (keep the action, junk/sell the rest), then spend $1-2K USD to have a competent gunsmith rebarrel and blueprint the action. I'm completely unfamiliar with the laws over there or the import rules, but is buying one here and importing it an option? You'll save a bunch I think if it's possible.

Isn't $3K EUR close to $3800 USD?

Hang out here and read for a bit and you'll learn a lot if you can separate out the bullshit. There's a lot of knowledgeable people and a few idiots. I'm a bit of a newbie here myself, but welcome aboard
smile.gif

As an aside, I have a very good friend from Austria. She spent 3 years here in the US and recently returned to Germany. As I read your posts, the way you structure your english sounds to my ears as if she's saying it. Thanks for the flashback.

-Slice

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes 3000€ is around 3800USD...
Europe is very expensive! Belgium is very expensive and finding a gunsmith who can build what you want
sick.gif
is probaly not possible. A lot of them are talking about it, but if you ask, can you do it, or can I see your results, they leave the building....
The law's at europe and certainly Belgium is very difficult. We al know at Europe, that the USA is a paradise for people who like guns and who has it as a sport...
About the FN rifle, it cost also around the same price...and they make it here at Herstal in Belgium. The problem is, that always the information we have, is so
crazy.gif
that you need to figger out everything on your own and by the internet. Internet is this days a great help for people who like the shooting sport.

Annyway, I want to buy an Remington, and it would be nice to know what type I can better choose that I did describe at the beginning of mine letter.

Thank you and best regards.

i have a 40x tactical 308, it shoots lights out. if you do a search there is a few on here who own 1 . if you get 1 of these you wont be dissapointed. to the us guys ya rifles are more expensive here in europe compared to the us.makes me jealous !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windows2003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What is the price for an Model XM3 Tactical system in the USA?
</div></div>

The rifle alone has a MSRP of $8295.00 USD.

Here's a link to what it is:
Iron Brigade Armory (Remington XM3)

You sure you still want that Remington?

It seems to me that all those rifles are going to be pretty pricey. If your just starting out, you may want to start with one of remmys more "entry level" tactical rifles. They will be cheaper, and as your skill grow you can larn to build on the rifle.

The one remington I have been looking at is the remington 700 sps tactical AAC-SD, Its got a 20" barrel with a 1:10 twist (which is what Iam looking for in .308) its synthetic stock isnt the greatest and I have read tha the x-pro trigger is a bit of a marketing gimick, but those are two things that are commonly replaced anyway, oh and its pre threaded for a supresor.

Mate, if you want a Remington 700, for 3000 Euro you can get here TWO (2) 700 Police rifles. It is a ridicuous price for 1 Remington 700. I didn't pay 3000 Euro for my Sako TRG 22!!!

I went with Sako TRG 22 and wouldn't trade it for anything, like you I didn't want to go through the trouble with having someone build it for me and I can't do it myself.

When I was selecting a rifle to buy I also looked at rifles from US, TBA and other. The problem are US Export Regulations. If you buy US rifle, never mind the Brand, you might end up having problems buing the spare parts or whatever accessories you might want.

I checked European rifles, FN was among the ones I liked a lot, but Steyr and other makes are equaly good and not as expensive. From US you pay Custom fees and proofing.

Since in EU you can buy wherever you want, you might want to check other Countries.

I would think a Remington 700P or 700P LTR would be a good start. I can understand your affection to the US made Remington, I am sure some of us here have an affinity for European guns partly because they are Euro. However, having said that if you can pick up a Sako TRG 22 for the same or less money than a Remington that would be as someone else said, a turn-key rifle. Just add optics, mount and ammo.

The problem we have in europe is that there just is not a lot of people building custom rifles and those that are building them have to pay big import costs from the USA and then pass them onto the customer. An alternative is to do your own work and for 'simple' stuff like changing a stock or a trigger this is possible. The real solution is to buy non american guns. The money you are intending to spend will get you in new or slightly used TRG and AI land, both of which will IMHO outshoot the Remmys all day long. Good luck with your choice.