• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Team GB shooter demands apology after missed call cost her Olympic gold medal

ma smith

Old Salt
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Sep 29, 2020
    Olympic skeet shooting...but still this has to suck !

Edit: BBC

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Not registering an account just to read. I'm assuming the judge called Lost when replay showed Dead?
    Added alternative story from BBC to OP

Here's the crux...brief summary per wikipdedia

At the 2024 Olympics, she participated in the women's skeet event and finished in silver under controversial conditions. During the fourth round of a tiebreaking shoot-off with Francisca Crovetto, one of her shots was called a miss; however, upon slow motion review, replays showed that the shot hit the target.[2]

Last edited:
    No instant replay so that's the way the cookie crumbles. In this case the birdie crumbles.
    Many a game has been lost/won by a judgement call.
    Yeah, Auburn basketball got screwed at final four a few years back vs Virginia in a bad call that was on camera. It happens, such is life. We teach our kids not to leave a contest in the hands of the officials/judges.

Not cheating. She didn’t get cheated. Ultimately, shooting sports are judged contests. It only counts as a hit if the judge sees the hit. “Dusting” a bird and “taking a chip” count, but only if the judge sees it. Doesn’t matter if everyone behind the judge saw it or not.

When my son was competing in Sporting Clays, I told him before every tournament “Don’t leave it up to the judge.”

Can’t blame a judge if you didn’t dust the bird and it took a replay (likely from a different angle than the judge’s vantage point) to see the chip.

That’s the reality of Clays, and always has been. Quit your bitching and shoot a better round next time.

Olympic skeet shooting...but still this has to suck !

Edit: BBC

This is a total travesty. The video…not some high end instant replay vid but just from media cameras…clearly showed the piece.

I shot registered skeet for decades and I’m telling you that if it showed that well on video then there is zero excuse for the referees to miss it with their eyes.

I don’t know how the Olympics set up their refs but I’d be shocked if they didn’t have the main ref by the shooter and two wingers all watching for hits. WTF, we do that here in shoot-offs of major shoots that are inconsequential compared to the Olympics.

There is absolutely zero excuse for this.

Reactions: ma smith and HD1911
    Can’t blame a judge if you didn’t dust the bird and it took a replay (likely from a different angle than the judge’s vantage point) to see the chip.

That’s the reality of Clays, and always has been. Quit your bitching and shoot a better round next time.
    You clearly didn’t see the video and are just blowing steam.

Last edited:
    got no dog here,but if the 1st of the 5 pics was the target in question,it was an easy to see piece and would have been from any angle. it was may more than a "dust". shot ATA for several years so i have an idea of the process. the obvious ref error is something that comes up a lot in most sports and seems the reason for instant replay etc in many and most at higher levels,NFL etc. don't know the olympic rules and procedure. the olypmics has a long history of political shit so i have no clue other than my usual paranoia. correct,is not a gold steal per se. IMHO the shoot off seems to should have continued.

Reactions: Baron23
    got no dog here,but if the 1st of the 5 pics was the target in question,it was an easy to see piece and would have been from any angle. it was may more than a "dust". shot ATA for several years so i have an idea of the process. the obvious ref error is something that comes up a lot in most sports and seems the reason for instant replay etc in many and most at higher levels,NFL etc. don't know the olympic rules and procedure. the olypmics has a long history of political shit so i have no clue other than my usual paranoia. correct,is not a gold steal per se. IMHO the shoot off seems to should have continued.
    They must have had Mr Magoo as the ref. :rolleyes:

My son absolutely smoked a target at a shoot that the judge called lost bird. It was “at the turn” and there were about 5 squads all stacked up and watching. Every one saw him smoke both targets. Judge stood by dead and lost. Fuck him.

Then, one year at NSCA nationals, there was a stage where one of the targets was landing in a pretty neat pile on the ground. We watched that judge call “dead bird” if the shooter shot in the vicinity of the pile as the bird landed; not once but for several shooters. I guess you win some and lose some.

Do not leave it up to the judges.