Tell us about your bug out bag.

1718367292834.png

1718367344056.png

Everyone is different, with differing families & obligations.

Just have a plan, and plan on that plan going all to shit. Real fast. So have alternates, as well as sound minds and bodies.

Also: don't be a refugee. Have real destination(s) that are well thought out. Or don't.

IMO.

@Camelfilter hit the main point: don’t be a refugee. Make arrangements well in advance.

The logical conclusion is that if you think you need to flee man-made disaster (e.g. Amish wilding events, invasion of the body snatchers, etc.) just relocate your life now, in an orderly manner.

As for emergency relocation for weather events, pre-plan for flooding, hurricane, etc if those things affect you. We have tornadoes and flooding. We ride out the tornadoes in a reasonably sound shelter. We’ve agreed with friends to provide mutual aid should one of us take a direct hit on a home. Same for floods.

Running for the hills is rarely a good plan. Preparedness is a fancy word for learning to live on planet earth.

Reactions: Camelfilter
Only a "Get Home" bag.
Same here. I carry stuff in every ride, but if its 10+ miles, I take a second with more get home. Past 30 there is a third w/everything no matter what, plus a backup ride. 50 + its a totally different ride altogether. I've never really trusted the "system" and these days I do not trust the system at all.

Had the talk years ago w/the kids about what happens when you rely 100% on the system. They did not understand until I pointed out when you leave home on a trip once your gas tank gets below 1/2 tank you are relying on the "system" to get to and back from your destination. Plus if you rely on electronic payments for most things while gone you have dug your hole deeper. Course they never believe me, until one day the system failed them.

My bugout bag has Avon Skin-so-Soft insect repellant, Off Deep Woods, etc. Ticks & chiggers, mosquitos, flies need to DIE! Diatomasceous Earth mixed with sulphur powdered on my clothes & skin in the tight places does a great job of preventing ticks & chigger bites while blackberry picking.

I have a backpack with a change of clothes, shoes, fire-making tools, 2 liter water bottle, MRE, poncho/shelter, small cordage, rain gear, water filter, pistol, mags & ammo. But I havnt used it in years. It used to ride around in the backseat, but now that I stay on the farm 24/7 I forget where I put it.

Same here. I carry stuff in every ride, but if its 10+ miles, I take a second with more get home. Past 30 there is a third w/everything no matter what, plus a backup ride. 50 + its a totally different ride altogether. I've never really trusted the "system" and these days I do not trust the system at all.

Had the talk years ago w/the kids about what happens when you rely 100% on the system. They did not understand until I pointed out when you leave home on a trip once your gas tank gets below 1/2 tank you are relying on the "system" to get to and back from your destination. Plus if you rely on electronic payments for most things while gone you have dug your hole deeper. Course they never believe me, until one day the system failed them.
My work is about 27 miles from home.
My get home bag with assorted items is for an unexpected event that forces me to walk it.
There are a couple of rough neighborhoods to traverse along the way.
My attempt would be "Gray Man look, but don't fuck with me if you know what's good for you".

My work is about 27 miles from home.
My get home bag with assorted items is for an unexpected event that forces me to walk it.
There are a couple of rough neighborhoods to traverse along the way.
My attempt would be "Gray Man look, but don't fuck with me if you know what's good for you".
If I have to open the third bag up away from home, there is but one rule that applies. Even to a 60 mile radius most of mine would be woods, river or farm land. Most of the shit holes could be easily bypassed, w/o adding much distance.

Reactions: MadDuner
I know Oakley used the name first on one of thier packs.
But I would call that one " The Kitchen Sink " 🤣
Long ago, my issue for years was a M1956 butt pack. When the ALICE came out, I was like oh hell yes. Once that next outing was up, I went back to the 1956 system before weapons cleaning, chow & beer. The cool kids can be a pack mule if they want. I prefer to something left in the tank when push becomes shove during a stroll.

Long ago, my issue for years was a M1956 butt pack. When the ALICE came out, I was like oh hell yes. Once that next outing was up, I went back to the 1956 system before weapons cleaning, chow & beer. The cool kids can be a pack mule if they want. I prefer to something left in the tank when push becomes shove during a stroll.
I still own and use my Medium Alice frame pack regularly, great pack, durable as hell and just won't die.🤣
My large pack is internal frame and well made with a no questions asked lifetime warranty but nowhere near as durable as the Alice.
The best warranty in the world doesn't mean shit if you need it when the pack is being relied on.