• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

tempature sinsitive powders

Re: tempature sinsitive powders

You pretty much just have research a specific powder in order to learn about it's specific properties. The Hodgdon extreme powders are good but some others have been designed to be temp insensative also. Reloader 17 and IMR 8208 XBR both come to mind.

im fairly new to reloading and long range shooting and today i found out that h-414 is very temp sinsitive when i missed a coyote at 450 yds. i went straight home and checked my zero and it was a good bit off at 200.

Pretty much any of the "Ball Powders" from Hodgdon are temperature sensitive. Just ask them and they will admit it. I have had that conversation with them over BL(C)-2!

I tried to used their BL(C)-2 for my .308 in 100 degree temperatures. And at 44gr which is approx 2.5gr below their recommended max. I was showing signs of excessive pressure.

Though at temperatures below freezing I could shoot max loads and never see signs of excessive pressure.

Taken from Hodgdon's website:
Extreme Velocity Spread
For Temperatures Between
0* - 125*

Cartridge: 308 Win.
Case: W-W
Primer: WLR
168 gr. Sierra BTHP
308win.gif

Cartridge: 30-06
165 gr. Hornady SP
3006graph.gif

Cartridge: 300 Win. Mag.
Primer: WLRM
180 gr. Sierra Boat Tail SP
300winmaggraph.gif

Cartridge: 22-250 Rem.
55 gr. Speer FMJ-BT
22-250rem.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taken from Hodgdon's website:
Extreme Velocity Spread
For Temperatures Between
0* - 125*

168 gr. Sierra BTHP
308win.gif

165 gr. Hornady SP
3006graph.gif

300winmaggraph.gif

55 gr. Speer FMJ-BT
22-250rem.gif
</div></div>

super info. thats exactly the chart i was looking for. you sir are a good man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taken from Hodgdon's website:
Extreme Velocity Spread
For Temperatures Between
0* - 125*

168 gr. Sierra BTHP
308win.gif

165 gr. Hornady SP
3006graph.gif

300winmaggraph.gif

55 gr. Speer FMJ-BT
22-250rem.gif
</div></div>

super info. thats exactly the chart i was looking for. you sir are a good man </div></div>

Don't believe everything that you read. Remember they are trying to sell their powder. The extreme powders are probably some of the least sensitive but from my experience they are not as good as what they advertise. I know the last lot of Varget I bought will loose about 35 fps going from 95 to 50 degrees.

Powder sensitivity is important, but also other factors rear their ugly head when temps change by 20 or so degrees. I practiced on Friday for a match and had all the numbers down. On Saturday, the temp dropped about 25 degrees (into the 30's) and all my numbers were useless. Loads were Varget with 175 SMK. The cold air really made the bullets drop a lot more.
Try it on a drop chart and see what the diiference is.
Just saying powder is not the only thing that causes things to go bad in temp changes.

Temperature changes effecting the trajectory of the bullet itself are "easy" to figure in. The one thing that you can't figure out using software is the effect on the muzzle velocity change, due to cooler powder temps, that you get when the temperature drops. The only way to get that data is to shoot in those temps, and record the data.

Branden

Depends on how long you let it heat soak. A warm chamber still takes a couple minutes to warm the powder up a significant amount. If you drop the round into the chamber, and fire within 10-15 seconds or so, that's not enough time to heat the powder up enough to note a appreciable amount to effect your muzzle velocity a significant amount.

There are f-class shooter out there that will chamber the round, and if they don't fire within' 30-45 seconds, they will remove the round, and allow it a chance to return to ambient temperature before they go to fire it again. However, in f-class, they are getting their rifles a bit hotter than most of us are.

Branden