• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

the best place to live for longe range shooting.

shootster.308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2008
Whats the best local in the USA to have a home and have many long range shooting opportunity's hunting fishing mountains included? i was thinking Colorado ? whats your opinion? pics would be nice if you have any.

Re: the best place to live for longe range shooting.

Colorado would definately be sweet (we have the Colorado Rifle Club out on the prairie), but Texas has some places that I'm sure could give us a run for our money. Probably Arizona as well.

Goto www.crci.org for some information.

AZ is nice but it lacks a bit in the fishing arena
frown.gif

I am from Kommiefornia originally and that is definitely not the best place as far as gun-ownership is concerned.

It seems that I will probably be moving to Colorado later this year and I am looking forward to it as it promises copious amounts of what you (and I) seek.

TX would and is my pick. You can always drive to the mountains, I do that just about every year to chase elk and mule deer. Deer season starts in October and runs till mid Jan. Spring turkey, among many others. Lake Fork, ext.... I don't really see a down side to living here, so long as you stay out of the big city's. Then again that is the case in any state.
And on a side note a big +1 on it aint Kalifornia!

Come on down to Alabama! It's got great hunting and fishing. Lots of publi and private ranges to shoot at. Not so much for the mountians unless your in the upper east portion. Great people here also. We have two great SEC football teams. The mountians to the north and the beach to the south, I'm mid state less then twenty minutes to the center point of the state. It's a couple hours for me to the beach or mountians, and less than 10 to 20 mintues to three lakes Lay, Michell, & Jordan and also my hunting lease.

prob with TX is everything is private land. You have to either own or know someone. Luckily I know enough people and have family land.

Re: the best place to live for longe range shootin

target rich environment?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Afganistan,, oh sorry wrong continent.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">prob with TX is everything is private land. You have to either own or know someone. Luckily I know enough people and have family land. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on down to Alabama! </div></div>

Sorry, Anything east of Dallas has too many trees to be a good place for distance shooting. After Dallas though and its long-range heaven.
I'm not partial to the landscape after Abilene. Pretty much a wasteland all the way to San Diego. The Great Plains in Oklahoma is nice for prairie dogs but I just don't like Oklahoma.

My choice would be Colorado, Wyoming, Montana.
The scenery is just awesome. Great people too.

I'm on a mission to check out all the outdoor opportunities in Utah. The hunting, the ATV trails, mountain biking, the hiking the skiing...
Never been there but I hear it's pretty nice too. Gun-friendly. Out west I'd probably step up to something above the .338 caliber. In Georgia it's just a waste because there's nowhere to shoot 'em.

Im going to say Idaho, but dont come here, we have enough people
smile.gif
In all seriousness though its a nice place. A lot of it depends on if you want a job/decent paying one. There are a lot more long range spots in southern/central Idaho and a lot more high paying jobs (because thats where most of the people are). Here are a few random pics I have laying around. The desert ones are an hour from my house, the others are 3.5. Tons of private land as far as you want to shoot if you dont have land yourself.

Ten hypothetical bonus points awarded if you can tell me where any of those pics are taken, or close to it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ten hypothetical bonus points awarded if you can tell me where any of those pics are taken, or close to it
smile.gif
</div></div>

Idaho. Within 3.5 hours or so of your house..

Big Wonderful Wyoming.

Check out Lander WY, Lander Valley Shooting Assn.

You have the mountains, hunting, fishing, etc. but check out the LVSA and their range.

They have pistol, rifle, shootgun, cowboy action, etc. but lets talk about the rifle range. They have a 1000 yard range, (plus the HP range of course) but they also have gongs up to 1400 yards. When you join the club you are issued a key and have access to the whole range. You can flat burn out some barrels.

They have all kinds of matches. Every weekend there is something going on.

I live on the other part of the state, but I attend their HP matches. They always have the HP matches in conjuction with some other match so I dont have to drive across the state just to to shoot one match, I can get in a HP match on sat and a 1000 yard or garand or F class match the next day.

Better yet. I can load up for several of my rifles, hit the range on Thursday Night /Friday morning, park my camper and shoot gongs testing my loads.

Lander isnt the only place, there is Worland and Cody, both have excellant ranges, its just that lander is a bit closer to me.

Reactions: Berl