The cost of shooting just in components. Thought for the day!

Are people junking barrels long before they should be?
At times I will say yes.

As well as damage being done to them amongst other things.

Maintenance is another variable.

Also depends on your accuracy requirement shooting discipline or maybe I should say... what are you using the barrel for is probably the more important question?

I do have data on a few calibers for pressure test barrels. When you are loading for a given max pressure and a given spec velocity.... the P&V barrels won't last anywhere near what you think.

A good example is 6.5CM and 300wm and 243win... On a P&V barrel your only looking at 1700ish rounds for the 6.5CM and about 800 rounds for the 300wm and 243win.

And back to the pressure/loads... run the load a little lighter lets call it moderate pressure vs max and you can make a 30-06 go say from only getting tops 3k rounds on a max load to getting 4k on moderate loads. Heat and pressure is a big variable. Also 338 Lapua... at max loads for an accuracy barrel your only looking at about 1500 to say 1700 rounds. Back the load off some and I've seen them over 3500 rounds.

Last edited:
$70/#, check again - 1lb H4350 $55.99 + Hazmat $22.99 + Shipping Under $100 - $12.95 = $91.93... plus state/local taxes, 6% for me.

That price is if you're insane enough to buy only one pound at a time.

Decades ago, I bought one or two pounds at a time. There wasn't anything like a shortage. I also bought locally and never shipped powder once the Hazmat stuff started.

In the last 20 years, it doesn't make sense to buy single one pound containers unless you are trying something new, don't mind mixing lots or you just don't shoot much at all.

Otherwise, buy at least 8# at a time.

Better yet, get with buddies and split shipping and hazmat.

Even better, buy stuff when it's on sale and free shipping/hazmat at the same time, with your buddies.

That price is if you're insane enough to buy only one pound at a time.

Decades ago, I bought one or two pounds at a time. There wasn't anything like a shortage. I also bought locally and never shipped powder once the Hazmat stuff started.

In the last 20 years, it doesn't make sense to buy single one pound containers unless you are trying something new, don't mind mixing lots or you just don't shoot much at all.

Otherwise, buy at least 8# at a time.

Better yet, get with buddies and split shipping and hazmat.

Even better, buy stuff when it's on sale and free shipping/hazmat at the same time, with your buddies.
Mike, I think part of the problem and you pointed it out... and I'll say it this way.. guys need to look/plan ahead to try and save some money and I know it's not always easy to buy 16# or 8# of powder at a time vs say 2# here and there. Like you said.... get with a buddy when buying some etc...to save some costs.

I've been telling guys... if you think you need 4# of powder buy a 8# jug if you can find it but that's what we are running up against as well.... finding a 8# jug of a given powder or buy 10 pounds of 1# bottles.

I was on several sites this morning.... I can't find any H1000 anywhere. The only place I seen some for sale is on GB and the stuff is ranging anywhere from $50ish to $75 a pound (even in 8# jugs). Powder Valley was the only one that had any and only in 1# bottles and a limit of 5 bottles. Bruno's didn't have any. Brownells didn't have any. Again there is some on Gunbroker and 1#'s ranging from $50ish to $75 a each and only two 8#'s for sale ranging from just over $500 to almost $600.

Later, Frank

Reactions: lash
This part of the world there's hardly any powder to be found anywhere. Even VV which is normally easy to find is mostly sold out. One issue is people working for dealers getting in before it hits the shelves. I know this does go on as I've been told directly. We're either going to need increased production or lower demand. I'm not holding my breath!

Reactions: lash