Where do you fall on .264?

• 6.5CM

• 6.5x47Lapua

• 260Rem God Cartridge

• .264 Win Mag

• 6.5PRC

• 6.5SAUM

Results are only viewable after voting.
just my marginal comments. seems to me that the CM's success is a result of great thinking by hornady and mindless corp ignorance by remington. they had the 260 all along. all they needed to do was change the emphasis to long range target and put out guns appropriate for same. 6.5/284 should have been a clue from it's rise among 1K yd shooters like the gallaghers. they had the gun,round,brass,bullets to jump in and grab the market. i think somebody at hornady saw it and grabbed a new round with same potential and threw the dice. they won big.
metric in US was becoming acceptable because of 5.56 designation and gear. vets were tuned into it because of m16 being well known. the swedes showed the 6.5 potential 100 years ago. really all the CM gives is 100 fps> swede. but,new and cool sells in america.
264 wm never caught on like 300,338,458. with 70s era bullets just all wrong for elk/moose. others were fine for that and MD/lopes.
remington dropped the ball on 6mm too. 244 was +/- and 243 got going for WT etc. changed to 6mm rem but too late to compete with the well establish 243 by then.
i have been surprised by the rapid huge rise of the CM. it's everywhere and is worthwhile. have owned them with no complaints. can't believe it is supplanting 30s among many. i'm old and grew up with 30s ('06 still a king IMHO). for me 308, but just an old fart personal thing.

6.5 CM and 260 running neck and neck currently

6.5 CM will start to pull ahead as soon as the soy boys get a couple white claws in them and get brave enough to start chirping

🖕🏻😎🤟
Excuse me, Sir.... I drink twisted tea, not white claw.

You got some nerve lumping me and my 6.5 Creed in with the 6mm crowd. 😤
20240812_130042.jpg

Last edited:
just my marginal comments. seems to me that the CM's success is a result of great thinking by hornady and mindless corp ignorance by remington. they had the 260 all along. all they needed to do was change the emphasis to long range target and put out guns appropriate for same. 6.5/284 should have been a clue from it's rise among 1K yd shooters like the gallaghers. they had the gun,round,brass,bullets to jump in and grab the market. i think somebody at hornady saw it and grabbed a new round with same potential and threw the dice. they won big.
metric in US was becoming acceptable because of 5.56 designation and gear. vets were tuned into it because of m16 being well known. the swedes showed the 6.5 potential 100 years ago. really all the CM gives is 100 fps> swede. but,new and cool sells in america.
264 wm never caught on like 300,338,458. with 70s era bullets just all wrong for elk/moose. others were fine for that and MD/lopes.
remington dropped the ball on 6mm too. 244 was +/- and 243 got going for WT etc. changed to 6mm rem but too late to compete with the well establish 243 by then.
i have been surprised by the rapid huge rise of the CM. it's everywhere and is worthwhile. have owned them with no complaints. can't believe it is supplanting 30s among many. i'm old and grew up with 30s ('06 still a king IMHO). for me 308, but just an old fart personal thing.

When has Remington ever properly supported one of its new cartridges?

The 17 Fireball was the last Remington cartridge released like almost 20 years ago.

Okay John Q Public, here's 20,000 new rifles in that cartridge. You guys have to share the 273 boxes of ammo we made.

Ford did the same thing with the 500 during the same timeframe.

They made a nice car to replace the Taurus, and then never advertised it.
Sales lagged and lagged.
So, they cleared them out at stupid prices.
Next month, the same car is released with a Taurus badge, and advertisements. The sales took off.

Ford team wondered why...

Been shooting a 6.5 WSM for about 15 years for long range hunting out west. Built on a model 70 action with a Brux 26" #4 heavy sporter contour. Use 270 WSM brass necked down. 130 grain Scirroco's and 140 grain Berger elite hunters are the cats ass up to including elk.

Rebarreled a pre-64 model 70 (1949) to 6.5 X 47 that is a killing machine for whitetail with 125 grain partitions.

The 17 Fireball was the last Remington cartridge released like almost 20 years ago.

Okay John Q Public, here's 20,000 new rifles in that cartridge. You guys have to share the 273 boxes of ammo we made.

Sales lagged and lagged.
Next month, the same car is released with a Taurus badge, and advertisements. The sales took off.

Remington has fucked up damn near everything they touched for like 50 years. its why they have gone out of business, bankrupt, sold, broken up several times over the last 20 years. if i had the time, i could sit down and list their mess-ups starting with the Remington 37 and just keep on rolling through modern day guns. its been a travesty of errors. i mean, cant get the twist right on the 6mm? WTF.

Remington has fucked up damn near everything they touched for like 50 years. its why they have gone out of business, bankrupt, sold, broken up several times over the last 20 years. if i had the time, i could sit down and list their mess-ups starting with the Remington 37 and just keep on rolling through modern day guns. its been a travesty of errors. i mean, cant get the twist right on the 6mm? WTF.
mostly agree. kinda disagree. 7mmRM a good round for hunting. same use range as 30 mags. 721 and 22 were good pieces for their time. 700 870,1100 (EARLY ones) were great. been crap last 10-20 years. a shame as win hasn't done much better. not on custom stuff,but straight up factory guns,finns on rifles and italians on shotguns just kick our ass. handguns,again older,colt,S&W stuff was world class. ruger still hangs in. optics same,same asians are in control.
a shame a large american co can't make a semi affordable piece like a pre 64 70,a wingmaster or 60s smith. whinning done.

mostly agree. kinda disagree. 7mmRM a good round for hunting. same use range as 30 mags. 721 and 22 were good pieces for their time. 700 870,1100 (EARLY ones) were great. been crap last 10-20 years. a shame as win hasn't done much better. not on custom stuff,but straight up factory guns,finns on rifles and italians on shotguns just kick our ass. handguns,again older,colt,S&W stuff was world class. ruger still hangs in. optics same,same asians are in control.
a shame a large american co can't make a semi affordable piece like a pre 64 70,a wingmaster or 60s smith. whinning done.
They did a damn nice job with my XR-100 in 308.

7mm Rem Mag was introduced 52 years ago. Remington did some things well, but they fucked up the 260 with a slow twist, a lot of .243 Win rifles with the same issue. They also ignored better bullet technology.

7mm Rem Mag was introduced 52 years ago. Remington did some things well, but they fucked up the 260 with a slow twist, a lot of .243 Win rifles with the same issue. They also ignored better bullet technology.
It’s amazing how Remington managed to Phuck themselves every way possible…..or just squeezed of every cent….yet somehow became the standard for a good long time, today things are still 700 footprint.

Just wild.

I’m happy with my tikka. It has enough support to have a chassis and it was a great entey rifle for PRS.

I would say the tikka had a lot of boutique support early on, but it wasn’t lacking. People loved it out of the gate.

Glad he’s still able to shoot.
So am I, until his fall a week and a half ago. Broke the Humerus. 😢. All shooting and hunting is on hold until he heals again, not so fast at 80 years. S-1 to L-1 fusion has slowed him down a lot! I am trying to keep his interest going with discussions started here. 6.5x55 vs. Manbun have been hilarious and optics are always good.

He was a custom gunsmith and shop teacher for 30 years so we can go into the weeds easily. 😁

Reactions: powdahound76
He was a custom gunsmith and shop teacher for 30 years so we can go into the weeds easily. 😁
Say less.

Here’s what ya do. Grab a PUSH broom and use it in an awkward pulling motion, oh and absolutely, do not, do that SMACK on the floor thing.

Should give him at least 2-3 hours of lecturing you on the proper way to sweep a shop floor. 😂

Say less.

Here’s what ya do. Grab a PUSH broom and use it in an awkward pulling motion, oh and absolutely, do not, do that SMACK on the floor thing.

Should give him at least 2-3 hours of lecturing you on the proper way to sweep a shop floor. 😂
The truth you speak!

Thankfully we have gotten beyond that stage. 🤣. Now it is trying to get him to work INSIDE his new limits.🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼

I can keep his mind working though with the antics of the SH members 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️

Fuddery and practical hunting ranges open up worlds of discussion to keep the mind occupied. 👍🏻 Especially since I am straddling said line.🤣🤣

The truth you speak!

Thankfully we have gotten beyond that stage. 🤣. Now it is trying to get him to work INSIDE his new limits.🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼

Fuddery and practical hunting ranges open up worlds of discussion to keep the mind occupied. 👍🏻 Especially since I am straddling said line.🤣🤣

So am I, until his fall a week and a half ago. Broke the Humerus. 😢. All shooting and hunting is on hold until he heals again, not so fast at 80 years. S-1 to L-1 fusion has slowed him down a lot! I am trying to keep his interest going with discussions started here. 6.5x55 vs. Manbun have been hilarious and optics are always good.

Is your Dad Steve K from Washington?

Sales lagged and lagged.

Don't forget the 6.8 Rem SPC, if shooting yourself in the foot was a competition Remington wouldn't have any toes left.

Here’s a Baby 6.5. A Grendel Howa Mini that weighs in at 6 ponds 3 ounces as it sits. Very accurate and mild recoil built for my disabled father.
View attachment 8526051

Cool little actions. I put one together for a 7 year old nephew with a chassis and AR stock so the LOP can grow with him. Came threaded also.....nice no recoil set up.

Reactions: Modoc
Starting loading/shooting 260 Ackley Improved after reading an article many moons ago by our own @Terry Cross ... Maybe around 2006 or so? Back then the only good brass to be had was 243 Lapua necked up & inside reamed to remove the "doughnut" & there was no Creedmoor yet. Saw no reason to try the Creedmoor when it came out since it didn't do anything better than 260 in a bolt gun. Had at least 4 rifles in 260 (including a SH Valkyrie build for the long time members that might remember them) and a 260 barrel for my old AXMC. Still some of the best shooting rifles I've owned to date. Had 2 Tikka Creedmoors and they were ok but not the hammers any of my 260s were (to be fair they also didn't have custom barrels either). Shit, guess I'm gonna have to order a 260 barrel for my Solus build now too...

View attachment 8525337
View attachment 8525339
View attachment 8525346
View attachment 8525347
Nice 1 shot group. Normally meant as a jest. But really, the first shot does count, does it not?

Hitting the Humerus sure ain't funny. Should be called the sumpnditch bone.

You've made history, your first post where you are wrong. 6.5saum rocks.

I once thought I was wrong… but I was mistaken.

SAUM… does that stand for Sporting A Umungous Manbun?

Not that there is anything wrong with that…

Sirhr

I once thought I was wrong… but I was mistaken.

SAUM… does that stand for Sporting A Umungous Manbun?

Not that there is anything wrong with that…

Sirhr
I've tried some of those same lines on various women including my wife with varied results.
As in varied a complete change of attack was inorder.
Remmy fucked that one up to even tho it was a slam dunk.
Anything 6.5 to me to this day is still what I grew up with killing deer and hogs 6.5x55 SE in a Carl Gustaf custom rifle or my current 6.5x47L that just doesn't know how to shoot anything crappy.

.264 Winchester Magnum
Production history
Specifications
Ballistic performance

.264 Winchester Magnum
TypeRifle
Place of originUnited States
DesignerWinchester
Designed1959
ManufacturerWinchester
Case typeRimless, bottleneck
Bullet diameter.264 in (6.7 mm)
Neck diameter.299 in (7.6 mm)
Shoulder diameter.491 in (12.5 mm)
Base diameter.515 in (13.1 mm)
Rim diameter.532 in (13.5 mm)
Case length2.5 in (64 mm)
Overall length3.34 in (85 mm)
Case capacity82 gr H2O (5.3 cm3)
Rifling twist1:9 in (230 mm)
Primer typeLarge rifle
Maximum pressure64,000 psi (440 MPa)
Bullet mass/typeVelocityEnergy
100 gr (6 g) Nosler Ballistic Tip3,510 ft/s (1,070 m/s)2,735 ft⋅lbf (3,708 J)
125 gr (8 g) Nosler Partition3,180 ft/s (970 m/s)2,806 ft⋅lbf (3,804 J)
140 gr (9 g) BTSP3,200 ft/s (980 m/s)3,183 ft⋅lbf (4,316 J)
Test barrel length: 26 in (660 mm)

.264 Winchester Magnum
Production history
Specifications
Ballistic performance

.264 Winchester Magnum
TypeRifle
Place of originUnited States
DesignerWinchester
Designed1959
ManufacturerWinchester
Case typeRimless, bottleneck
Bullet diameter.264 in (6.7 mm)
Neck diameter.299 in (7.6 mm)
Shoulder diameter.491 in (12.5 mm)
Base diameter.515 in (13.1 mm)
Rim diameter.532 in (13.5 mm)
Case length2.5 in (64 mm)
Overall length3.34 in (85 mm)
Case capacity82 gr H2O (5.3 cm3)
Rifling twist1:9 in (230 mm)
Primer typeLarge rifle
Maximum pressure64,000 psi (440 MPa)
Bullet mass/typeVelocityEnergy
100 gr (6 g) Nosler Ballistic Tip3,510 ft/s (1,070 m/s)2,735 ft⋅lbf (3,708 J)
125 gr (8 g) Nosler Partition3,180 ft/s (970 m/s)2,806 ft⋅lbf (3,804 J)
140 gr (9 g) BTSP3,200 ft/s (980 m/s)3,183 ft⋅lbf (4,316 J)
Test barrel length: 26 in (660 mm)
Is the 1:9 twist listed what it originally came out in or was original twist a little slower?

• Wow
Reactions: XLR308
The truth you speak!

If you haven't worked through this one with him yet, enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: XLR308 and Modoc
If you haven't worked through this one with him yet, enjoy.
Hell, I haven’t made it through that thread yet!🤣

I have been trying to get him interested in various forums for years and haven’t had much success. He’ll read a thread that I send him sometimes, but…..

He does help keep me grounded (slightly) as we discuss rifles, optics, and reloading in regards to what we do. I almost have him convinced that the next build should be either an Impact or CDG, but Howa is still on the table. Something about Single Malt taste and Beer Budget. 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️