• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

The drive links have the smallest stress area, therefore, are the weakest part. Tie links are doubled up (could also be a toothed link).

Some chains have oil cavities/features stamped in to the drive links themselves (Stihl has marketed this for a long time, but most all of the manufacturers do something similar nowadays). It makes a difference if you have an adjustable oiler and crank it up. Good bar oil makes a bigger difference honestly, as the sticky oil holds to the bar/chain a lot better than just a high viscosity oil alone.

I logged for a few years and ran a saw 10-12 hours a day. Different areas demand different tactics, just like shooting. Some places I used a good sticky oil at a low/mid output setting, other places were so sandy/silty, I'd run less sticky, thinner oil, cranked up to keep it out of my bar, and some places required vegetable based oils, which meant we were using the cheapest decent bar and chain we could find, cause it was going to get destroyed regardless... If you have to run veg based oil, keep a replaceable sprocket bar on your saw, and carry a sprocket greaser with you, otherwise, you'll toast them in no time!

Reactions: oneshot86
I forgot to check my chain boxes as I had a super busy day doing oil changes while splitting and stacking. We’re too warm (very unusual) for this time of year which means I’m unable to get into the timber to get get out high quality wood. Been scrounging along the fence lines where it’s accessible by lugging it out by hand where I can get the loader to it via the road. Finally scrounged enough to fire up the splitter. Mostly dead standing Mulberry and Elm. Fifth course in bay #3. Probably burn it in 2023.
0D087CC2-E1B7-44EB-AC88-3340505685D4.jpeg
1107A1DB-5FA8-4967-87A6-4C772E29F382.jpeg

As mentioned before the largest benefit is more oil to flow through the channel being wider. Moving forward I’m going to try for .063 on all my bars. More is better right?!
We like the big unsView attachment 7219686
Maple for coffee tables View attachment 7219687
Vertical milling attachment I built for making dimensional lumber. Pictured is fir.
View attachment 7219688View attachment 7219689View attachment 7219690
Beautiful! Great stuff.

Reactions: oneshot86
750 oaks now and another 500 coming coming next week. My back is not looking forward to the weekend. If you need seedlings and are close, the GA forestry commission is the way to go. These are the best seedlings I have ever received. This batch is 250 white oaks and 500 cherrybark.

Attachments

• seedlings.jpg
    seedlings.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 120
750 oaks now and another 500 coming coming next week. My back is not looking forward to the weekend. If you need seedlings and are close, the GA forestry commission is the way to go. These are the best seedlings I have ever received. This batch is 250 white oaks and 500 cherrybark.
700' long rows and planting 15' apart with 20' between rows. should be nice in 20 years. if I can keep the wild hogs from tearing everything up. I did not plow the field, just subsoiled the lanes. The disturbed ground is from the hogs. and lots of them.

Attachments

• tree planting.JPG
    tree planting.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
I feel like I've been asking you guys a lot but you've been a huge help.

So I've done some Google searching and cant stand searching other forums... so my problem is that I'm getting bar chain oil back into my sprocket cover(?) and none on my chain. I just pulled the saw apart to clean it getting ready to spend my MLK jr. day in the woods. There was a lot of build up and I was careful not to shove any into my oiling hole and cleaned as best as I could. And now, like i said, its oiling my sprocket and cover but nothing else.

Saw is a MS271 & I can add pictures if it helps.

I had replied but I guess it didnt post.. but no the oiling hole/channel is one of the first things I cleaned.

I took it apart and put it back together for like 2 hours. Got fed up and took it to Ace (stihl dealer) and that did the trick. It started oiling normally in the parking lot. Thanks guys.

Reactions: mtrmn
Anyone know where I can find a replacement handle for wetterlings splitting maul? I’ve searched high and low to no avail. Would like to find an original, but would at this point settle for a after market, Thanks.

currently out of stock but you might check with these guys

i was just looking at the house handles, never heard of them, but as you already stated out of stock, I have tried Canadian outdoor several times, they have a couple ax handles available but none for the maul, thanks for the help.

It’s an IH424, I have a little Shibaura 4x4 diesel too. It is only 4’ wide and will slither through the woods really well ?

View attachment 7249341

Nope-Meme.jpg
I really like that narrow tractor,great utility unit.
The only thing we had that was small growing up was an IH Cub.
Pop was an IH dealer from the 50's to the late 70's

Reactions: Lawless
I really like that narrow tractor,great utility unit.
The only thing we had that was small growing up was an IH Cub.
Pop was an IH dealer from the 50's to the late 70's

It’s Japanese, same company that made Ford, New Holland and Long small tractors. 18 hp 2 cyl diesel, 2 speed axle, 2 speed PTO, axle lock and selectable 4wd. It’s a great little tractor.

It’s Japanese, same company that made Ford, New Holland and Long small tractors. 18 hp 2 cyl diesel, 2 speed axle, 2 speed PTO, axle lock and selectable 4wd. It’s a great little tractor.
Well, that 2 speed PTO would be great for a high volume- low pressure pump for a spliter.
I made a nice fold up vertical spliter for the 504 and it was a brute