• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Then there is this, boy's & girls

Not yet, but I will. I just finished her book and it was great. I'll probably give a listen today.

I was exposed to her and her book when she recently went on Joe Rogan. That interview wasn't great, Joe Rogan was all over the place. But I learned enough to know the book would be interesting, and it is.

I like Rogan, but he's not a good interviewer for this guest and topic.

Lex Friedman's interview of her was more on-topic, but the combination of their voices makes me think that someone was slowly pumping a sedative into the studio.

Really, nothing she talks about should be any surprise to someone who grew up during the Cold War - there are still thousands of warheads pointed at various population centers and they are vulnerable to being launched due to human and technical errors.

Reactions: kthomas
I like Rogan, but he's not a good interviewer for this guest and topic.

Lex Friedman's interview of her was more on-topic, but the combination of their voices makes me think that someone was slowly pumping a sedative into the studio.

Really, nothing she talks about should be any surprise to someone who grew up during the Cold War - there are still thousands of warheads pointed at various population centers and they are vulnerable to being launched due to human and technical errors.

Rogan did not come prepared or even seemingly interested in the topic, which is a shame. He kept diverting off topic to other weird tangential subjects.

I have a hard time listening to Lex Friedman. He's too monotone and robotic in his delivery. His conversations don't give me that vibe that he genuinely connects with the subject and the person he's interviewing. I know people like him, just not my style I guess.

And yeah, the topic and subject matter should be pretty obvious. But it's become such an abstract concept in the modern world - we completely take for granted how insane this world actually is. How USA and Russia have thousands of nukes pointed at each other, and how a simple mistake could trigger such a colossal event that would essentially end civilization. And I feel like its especially taken for granted now, with all the warmongers in Congress and other levels of government constantly calling for escalation with Russia. It's insane. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, when seemingly everyone around me is calling for war with Russia over Ukraine. Its madness.

Charitable, will come with strings and getting caught committing a crime, the punishment will be swift, and painful or deadly.

Charity has no strings. None. Just what we choose to give, & to whom to give it.

Barter is different. Barter can be charitable, but NOT charity. Charitable as in weighted lighter than "going rate", to acquaintance(s) in need. But not true charity. That'd be your version of "strings" attached, for us I suppose. If that makes sense.

Yes sir on crime & punishments. Be extra wary of any one handed folk, as an example.

No idea on other punishments, however there will not be jail/prison.

Reactions: The D
Rogan did not come prepared or even seemingly interested in the topic, which is a shame. He kept diverting off topic to other weird tangential subjects.

I have a hard time listening to Lex Friedman. He's too monotone and robotic in his delivery. His conversations don't give me that vibe that he genuinely connects with the subject and the person he's interviewing. I know people like him, just not my style I guess.

And yeah, the topic and subject matter should be pretty obvious. But it's become such an abstract concept in the modern world - we completely take for granted how insane this world actually is. How USA and Russia have thousands of nukes pointed at each other, and how a simple mistake could trigger such a colossal event that would essentially end civilization. And I feel like its especially taken for granted now, with all the warmongers in Congress and other levels of government constantly calling for escalation with Russia. It's insane. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, when seemingly everyone around me is calling for war with Russia over Ukraine. Its madness.

I recall that the interview started with Rogan admitted that he hadn't even read her book, and then went downhill from there.

Friedman is just awful - I cannot stand his delivery, and then layering on Jacobsen's high-school-girl-trying-to-be-cool-by-talking-an-octave-too-low made the whole interview almost comical. But at least Lex seemed to have sufficient intellect to carry on a conversation.

I think that normalcy bias is woefully underrated in its power to distort critical thinking. The Soviet Union fell apart and we got all these wonderful treaties and the worst-case terrorism scenarios never came to pass, and we got a couple decades to forget about the worldwide suicide pact that was signed back in the 1950s.

My guess is that if we don't see a nuke touched off in Ukraine or the Middle East over the next year or two, we're still just a generation away from the use of at least tactical devices being normalized because there will be no one left that remembers why we stigmatized these things after 1945.

I recall that the interview started with Rogan admitted that he hadn't even read her book, and then went downhill from there.

Friedman is just awful - I cannot stand his delivery, and then layering on Jacobsen's high-school-girl-trying-to-be-cool-by-talking-an-octave-too-low made the whole interview almost comical. But at least Lex seemed to have sufficient intellect to carry on a conversation.

I think that normalcy bias is woefully underrated in its power to distort critical thinking. The Soviet Union fell apart and we got all these wonderful treaties and the worst-case terrorism scenarios never came to pass, and we got a couple decades to forget about the worldwide suicide pact that was signed back in the 1950s.

My guess is that if we don't see a nuke touched off in Ukraine or the Middle East over the next year or two, we're still just a generation away from the use of at least tactical devices being normalized because there will be no one left that remembers why we stigmatized these things after 1945.

Sadly I think you're right.

The further we get away from 1945, the more likely someone is going to touch one off and the rest of the world's nuclear arsenal will follow.

People were absolutely terrified of nukes the decades following it's inception, and rightly so. Now we talk about how a hot war with Russia and China is inevitable, and nukes barely get a footnote. The Middle East is heating up as well, Israel seems hell bent on starting a broader war in the region, and who knows what that will lead to.

And of course, there's all the possible mistakes or failures that could lead to inadvertent use of nukes. Especially as equipment ages.

I think it's a matter of when, not if, for the use of nukes.

Reactions: E. Bryant