• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

This is my new shooting sports hero

CEO10KaDAY

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
Denver
Every time I show up to a ELR match, I'm always outgunned by people who have some pretty gnarly setups. I'm talking about those guys with 2 or 3 spotters, they have air cushioned rear bags, and remote controlled bipods to help them get the perfect shot every time. While all I have is a little flimsy atlas bipod on my AI AX338.

Always felt a little discouraged going up against these guys, especially since I'm shooting a bullet that honestly struggles to get it done at super long distance.

Then I see this guy, just straight fucking raw dog it with no gear like a total badass. THIS guy, is my new hero man. No fancy bullshit, just a straight BSD aura and a fuck it attitude.

This guy is everything I aspire to be now in life.

1722578123-1012[1].jpg

Look at some of the rigs they are using. Holy cow...

agd_38597396__1591727158.jpg

Somebody who rawdogs it with the minimalist setup and attire and snatches silver on the first attempt is absolutely hardcore and is deserving of everybody's recognition and respect...

Somebody who rawdogs it with the minimalist setup and attire and snatches silver on the first attempt is absolutely hardcore and is deserving of everybody's recognition and respect...
Apparently his only question after a string of fire was “where is the smoking area?”.

PRS setups are approaching this.

A sport born from practical applications that's evolved into something very niche and contrived with very little outwards practicality.

PRS setups are approaching this.

A sport born from practical applications that's evolved into something very niche and contrived with very little outwards practicality.
I remember when same comments were made about pistols with comps and red dots, etc. in USPSA and yet many of these same "go fast" features are on military and LEO pistols and rifles.

I remember when same comments were made about pistols with comps and red dots, etc. in USPSA and yet many of these same "go fast" features are on military and LEO pistols and rifles.

There's always going to be innovations that will creep over to the mil/LE world from sports, and that still happens with PRS.

But you're also not going to see a 30lb 6mm gun being used in any real practical form, including mil and LE.

And I believe that the more that PRS moves in its current direction of a sport that involves shooting from highly contrived props, the less utility that sport will have in more practical forms.

I’d like to participate in a PRS league with weight limits, a ban on levels, and no dialing. One bag, and it must weigh less than five pounds.

I pretty much stopped shooting PRS. It just got pretty stale. Shooting off a slightly different iteration of a highly contrived prop, stage after stage, gets pretty boring.

I get why hyper-competitive people still like it - they know pretty much exactly what to expect, and they want to beat the next guy by 1 second on that contrived prop they practice on week in and week out on. That's just not for me.

NRL Hunter and Competition Dynamics matches have really caught my eye. Those look fun and refreshing, especially when compared to the modern state of PRS.

Is your scope from the 70’s? Because the Arken goes for $400

You kind of just made my point.
Your response is, hey go buy another scope because we want more gamer rules. Which is exactly what I was saying.

No dialing is a stupid rule that ONLY is there to foster an equipment race.

And no, I'm not going to go buy some stupid junky $400 scope when a nice S&B that I already have is perfectly fine and dialing for elevation and holding for wind works great for lots of things when you aren't having to play some stupid game rules.

You kind of just made my point.
Your response is, hey go buy another scope because we want more gamer rules. Which is exactly what I was saying.

No dialing is a stupid rule that ONLY is there to foster an equipment race.

And no, I'm not going to go buy some stupid junky $400 scope when a nice S&B that I already have is perfectly fine and dialing for elevation and holding for wind works great for lots of things when you aren't having to play some stupid game rules.
You’re telling me your S&B doesn’t have hash marks to indicate wind holds? You don’t need much other than 2 mils of wind ever which I’m guessing wouldn’t be difficult to find on your scope.

You’re telling me your S&B doesn’t have hash marks to indicate wind holds? You don’t need much other than 2 mils of wind ever which I’m guessing wouldn’t be difficult to find on your scope.

Before the gamer rules of you can't dial, these work very well when you dial for elevation and hold for wind

1722625118682.png

But then gaming rules gave you stuff like this:

1722625210851.png

Reactions: W54/XM-388
i do remember when i shot nra 2700 in 60s/70s. just a gun,a target and a shooter. "free pistol" existed but nobody i ever saw or knew could afford a hammerli. then optics got added and scores went up. doesn't prove much IMHO. look at long range rifle back then,same deal. shooting sports have really gotten bitten by the spend as much as you can bug. actually this site is a big offender in that. "why if you can't afford a vudoo,R50 and a zco,you don't deserve to shoot any rimfire at all". same with center fire and hunting. sorry,i know people that kill 5 or 6 deer a year with a base 15 yo r700,core lokt and a 3-9 tasco. trap and skeet have always shown expensive gear. at least they haven't added satellite controlled guns. yet.

I pretty much stopped shooting PRS. It just got pretty stale. Shooting off a slightly different iteration of a highly contrived prop, stage after stage, gets pretty boring.

I get why hyper-competitive people still like it - they know pretty much exactly what to expect, and they want to beat the next guy by 1 second on that contrived prop they practice on week in and week out on. That's just not for me.

NRL Hunter and Competition Dynamics matches have really caught my eye. Those look fun and refreshing, especially when compared to the modern state of PRS.
Well, let's just get back to off hand comps.

WTF is this? Nothing like the 52D's I shot NRA indoor 22's back in the 70's.

According to my kestrel, I'm shooting 1265 yds before needing 12 mils elevation, and from there I have up to 12 mph of a 3'oclock wind before needing more than 3 mils of windage. Most targets being in that 600-900 yd range I bet you'd do just fine with your reticle with some practice not being able to dial.

Comes down to who has the best dope at the end of the day..?