This thing is too much fun (22LR Walther/Colt 1911)

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
2-A14-A961-AC81-434-A-9-CD0-FFAF73-F903-D0.jpg
Just picked this up for $500, what a hoot, takes most 1911 parts, and there’s a cheap mod to make the mags 15 rounds, thinking some different grips, magwell and some different sights.

Nice looking weapon. The rail for mounting a flashlight is something I wish I had on my 1911 .22 LR.

I bought a GSG 1911 several years ago and it is a lot of fun to shoot. I replaced some parts at just over 15,000 rounds after the plastic guide rod broke and it still keeps on ticking. ZR Tactical Solutions is a good source for parts.

Nice looking weapon. The rail for mounting a flashlight is something I wish I had on my 1911 .22 LR.

I bought a GSG 1911 several years ago and it is a lot of fun to shoot. I replaced some parts at just over 15,000 rounds after the plastic guide rod broke and it still keeps on ticking. ZR Tactical Solutions is a good source for parts.

Good to hear and I’ll also check ZR out.

Got my SS guide rod and mag well from these guys

Any recommendations for grips? Maybe G10?

Nice. I have a GSG and it’s well over 10k rounds and still holding up. It’s been pretty much flawless in terms of reliability. Keep waiting on something to break but it just keeps on going. Shooting a 1911 22lr is a ton of fun. Pretty much always take it with me to the range. It’s due for a cleaning now :). Have fun w it

Reactions: TurboTrout
I bought a new Colt ACE at a LGS back in 1979. It was a really nice pistol, but accuracy with that floating chamber set-up mostly sucked. I wound up taking it back to the same shop and trading it for a High Standard Victor, which shot so much more accurately that there was no comparison. My only real regret in trading it was that in today's market, it'd probably be worth a bunch more than I paid for it - but at the time, I was working as a Stateside ferry pilot, and didn't have the money to keep both the ACE & Victor. I still have the Victor, and it's still a very good shooter...

I bought a new Colt ACE at a LGS back in 1979. It was a really nice pistol, but accuracy with that floating chamber set-up mostly sucked. I wound up taking it back to the same shop and trading it for a High Standard Victor, which shot so much more accurately that there was no comparison. My only real regret in trading it was that in today's market, it'd probably be worth a bunch more than I paid for it - but at the time, I was working as a Stateside ferry pilot, and didn't have the money to keep both the ACE & Victor. I still have the Victor, and it's still a very good shooter...

I’m not thinking the colt/Walther is a floating chamber

With that ace I put 500 rounds through it as fast as I could load it and had almost no hiccups. That floating chamber is a wonder worker.
Yeah, mine was reliable, but I never found any 22RF ammo that shot very well in it. Granted, at that time, I was living in Wichita, and didn't have time to work with the ACE much until I'd moved back to the farm in western Kansas the following spring. Once I'd decided it wasn't going to print decent groups on paper, I was done with it. I saw an article in American Handgunner IIRC years later on an ACE that a noted pistolsmith had worked over in an attempt to improve accuracy, but it still didn't hold a candle to the way my H-S Victor shoots. The floating chamber was designed to produce enough recoil impulse with 22LR ammo to reliably cycle a 1911 slide, and it was very successful in that respect.

I got one a few years ago. My son loves the thing, and will mag dump repeatedly if I don't keep a close eye on him 😆

I put these grips on it to dress it up a bit. It's a nice complement to my 45ACP version I carry.
20210416_120339.jpg

Reactions: TurboTrout
And down the rabbit hole
New Dawson sight
Flat trigger with over travel adj
Full length recoil rod and buffer with new spring
VZ grips
Slide and cylinder sear spring
Mag well and main housing
15 round mags

Figured having a rail, I’d use one of my bipods and a bag to zero it at the local indoors range, 25yrds, since there was no pistol rest, not too bad considering it’s just bulk Winchester JHPs

2-F794-E31-5-DFA-4-CA1-9828-EFCFBDB2-D26-C.jpg

8-C3-DA628-5668-4-AED-BC07-A96-BB6-D79-F54.jpg