• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Thompson/Center Icon rifle info

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
I realize that the T/C Icon isn't exactly a commonly found rifle, but they ARE out there, and there seems to be a serious lack of information about them on the Interwebz. So, I am going to put info here, in this thread, where it will hopefully be preserved for future generations (or perhaps just me, if I forget).

Based on what I can find, the barrel tenon is the standard Remington 700 diameter/thread - 1 1/16" x 16 TPI 60 degree V-type thread (I was able to find the drawing/notes below on the Interwebz, but I don't know who created it; the rest of the info will be based on my measurements). Per my Hornady-branded Chinesium digital calipers, the action OD is 1.296" at the front, and the factory barrel (on my 7mm Rem Mag) shoulder diameter is 1.175". At a length of 24", the muzzle diameter is .700". My rifle has an internal magazine with a hinged floorplate (similar to the R700 BDL) with an internal length of 3.500".

There are three action screws; one at the front, one at the rear, and one between the trigger guard and the mag well. Taking some measurements, I found the following:
  • Rear screw to front screw (center-to-center) is 8.035"
  • Center screw to front screw (center-to-center) is 5.375"
  • Rear screw to center screw (center-to-center) is 2.625"
I should note that the rear-to-front (no ass-to-mouth comments, please) measurement is nearly the same as a Savage 110 long action. The Savage does not have the center screw, but it's possible that bottom metal intended for the Savage 110 long action could be made to work for the Icon long action if someone were motivated and skilled enough (I am neither).

If there are any other measurements that people would find useful, please let me know so I can take them and post them here.

TC Icon shank drawing.jpg

Last edited:
I am told by T/C support that the bolt handle of the Icon is interchangeable with the (T/C) Venture. As of the time of this writing, Glades Armory has replacement bolt handles/knobs (for the Venture) available: http://gladesarmory.com/30/thompson-center-venture

I have one on order, and will update this post to confirm compatibility once I can verify the fit/function. <-- Confirmed that the Glades Armory replacement bolt handle for the Venture IS compatible with the Icon bolt

Additionally, I have ordered from Boyd's a replacement stock for my Icon, and found that the stock as received from Boyd's is not inlet for the aluminum bedding plate/block that is part of the factory T/C stock. Further, the diameter of the action screw bosses for the middle/rear screws on the bottom of the action are 7/16" in diameter (the forward action screw threads directly into the bottom of the recoil lug).

Last edited:
I am told by T/C support that the bolt handle of the Icon is interchangeable with the (T/C) Venture. As of the time of this writing, Glades Armory has replacement bolt handles/knobs (for the Venture) available: http://gladesarmory.com/30/thompson-center-venture

I have one on order, and will update this post to confirm compatibility once I can verify the fit/function. <-- Confirmed that the Glades Armory replacement bolt handle for the Venture IS compatible with the Icon bolt

Additionally, I have ordered from Boyd's a replacement stock for my Icon, and found that the stock as received from Boyd's is not inlet for the aluminum bedding plate/block that is part of the factory T/C stock. Further, the diameter of the action screw bosses for the middle/rear screws on the bottom of the action are 7/16" in diameter (the forward action screw threads directly into the bottom of the recoil lug).

I know this is an older post, but are you still needing a stock? Through a screwup on T/C' s part, I have a Houge and walnut stock to fit an Icon, both with aluminum already set.

I know this is an older post, but are you still needing a stock? Through a screwup on T/C' s part, I have a Houge and walnut stock to fit an Icon, both with aluminum already set.
Carl- I appreciate it, but I was able to get the Boyd's to work. I inletted the barrel channel for the nearly-M24 contour of my barrel, and used some Marine Tex to bed the action. It actually turned out okay.

Carl- I appreciate it, but I was able to get the Boyd's to work. I inletted the barrel channel for the nearly-M24 contour of my barrel, and used some Marine Tex to bed the action. It actually turned out okay.
Happy to hear! Now I have to hope someone stumbles across this who needs one and I will be golden!

Carl, I am actually looking at rebarreling an Icon to make it a long range rifle. I was wondering if you still had the hogue stock and if you knoew what barrel diameter if its set up to accept?