• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Thompson Encore Pro Hunter Hinge pin

GriffyGriff

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2018
Hi can I ask. I’ve just picked up a used Thompson Encore Pro Hunter. The manual suggests you need to break open the action prior to removing the hinge pin but I can push the pin out by hand (with moderate effort) when the action is closed. However when the action is opened, the clearance has tightened and i can no longer push out the pin by hand. Is this normal? Thanks

Yes kinda. I have had a couple of these and find each one slightly different. The tolerance on these could be better.
The hinge pin and how it locks up is one of the headspace effecting items. This in turn has effect on accuracy.
I would not want my hinge pin that easy to remove.
I would look into the oversized pin.

Agreed, you want a harder to remove pin. Get a short delrin rod that’s slightly smaller diameter and use it as a punch with a small mallet.

Note that depending on fit particulars, you might need to adjust the angle the action/barrel are separated to until it’s a bit easier.

That looks like a reasonably simple part to make, and there are quite a few ways to do it. Know any talented machinists?

Edit: I say “talented” because they’d need to hold pretty tight tolerances, and “know” because one-offs tend to be a fair bit more expensive than US-NZ shipping.

Last edited: