Rifle Scopes Thoughts on Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 SF scopes?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have a Savage 17HMR currently with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and I love it for Pennsylvania grey squirrel hunting. The glass is great for the $130-ish (if I remember correctly) and was looking to build off that success.

With my 3-9x40 I feel that I need a bit more magnification to really go prone and shoot those little bastards.

I came across the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm and can get either the Nikoplex or the Mildot (why not) for the same price in a side-focus.

A $300 scope for a $250 gun ain't bad.... riiiight??

I just want something with more magnification and really can't find too much in the $300 or lower range unless going to junk. Plus it's side-focus which is a bonus.

JS

Re: Thoughts on Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 SF scopes?

I've got that very scope with the BDC reticle on my Savage Predator 22-250 and I love it. It's very clear, bright and repeatable. I wish mine was a mildot but for the deal I got on it I can't complain.

I've got that scope with the duplex reticle on my .243. Its given me no problems so far. I've used it to shoot crows from 90 yards out to 450. Not a bad scope for the money.

I have several of them on varmint rigs for prairie dog shooting and they are very nice. They have traveled a lot of miles and stayed sighted in over a lot of bumpy roads.
The one thing I found on mine (may be corrected now) is that they don't focus well down at 50 yds or so. That might be an issue (although I have one on a CZ 17 HMR) for close shots on tree rats.

I have been very pleased with mine for the past several years. It has seen many miles in the pickup and has continued to maintain zero. It currently lives on my 22.
They only adjust down to 50 yards for parallax, but if you have good head position, it isn't a problem. Was shooting positions at 25 yards with it last week and no problems.

I have one of these and use it on my Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 – 300 or so rounds now without issue, holds zero fine, side focus is great. Really a great budget scope. Make sure you get the right reticle for what you are shooting... I opted for the Mildot.