• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Threading a fluted barrel for suppressor??

TiredWings

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2010
Bowling Green, KY
Big time lurker here. Have a chance to pick up a FNH SPR A3 for a good price. Was not the gun I was planning on getting next, but can't pass on the price. It has a fluted barrel with a recessed crown. Eventually I wanted a suppressed rifle. Would there be any future problem having this barrel threaded? Was worried about any gap in rifling from the recessed crown ( I really don't think that would be an issue, just want confirmation) and any possibility of over stressing the barrel by just having too much stuff done to it, that may weaken the barrel. I know these questions may sound silly, but trust me, I know of nobody in real life that would be able to take care of these questions. Main reason I ask is, Ive seen suppressed barrels and Ive seen fluted barrels, but never a suppressed fluted barrel.......

Thanks in advance,
TiredWings
BG, KY

Re: Threading a fluted barrel for suppressor??

As long as the flutes don't have to end at the thread tennon, it should be fine....the threads can end at the tennon, but it will look like crap.

Re: Threading a fluted barrel for suppressor??

Those FN's I believe have a few inches of unfluted barrel towards the muzzle if Im not mistaken correct?

If so, no it is not an issue at all. The muzzle would receive a new crown during the threading operation.