• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Tight Magnification Dial....

jasonstoj

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Newcastle, AUSTRALIA
Hey guys...me again being annoying and asking questions that are probably very simple and silly.... but hey!

i pulled my rifle out for its end of season checkup...(its summer here now ;))

and it dawned on me to ask something that has been annoying me forever....

I have a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 Illum Ret.

the magnification dial has always been really tight and takes a fair amount of effort to turn (its not a BIG ISSUE... and nothing i will ever worry about if it cant be fixed.... but im always chasing ways to make everything "perfect"... you guys know how it is).... its been like this since it came out of the box and maybe its just how they are, but i thought id check!

there's a small allen screw on the dial im tempted to loosen JUST A TOUCH and see what happens but i thought id get some imput first just in case i end up damaging the zoom operation in the process!

thanks guys!

Re: Tight Magnification Dial....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can loosen that a tad and see if the screw is too long and binding on something. If you take it out, your ring will not be indexed and you will need to line it back up and reinsert the screw. It won't fall apart on you or anything, but you probably don't want to take it all the way out just for the hassle of it.

I had a millet dms like this and it was a little better after I tweaked that screw but not much. </div></div>

I wouldn't do that. From Page 25 of the Leopold Riflescope Owners Handbook

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/2009_Riflescope_Owners_Handbook.pdf

"WARNING: Do not loosen the screw in the power selector ring. Doing so will release the internal gas that keeps the scope fog free. Loosening the screw will also disconnect a pin that controls the internal operations, causing other problems that would require factory repairs. Do not lubricate the power selector ring; doing so is unnecessary."

I had a old VariX II that I sent back for the same problem. They cleaned and lubed it and now works great.

Walt

Re: Tight Magnification Dial....

Interesting, I didn't realize leupys had an issues with that. I've done it on other things without issue, but they were not leupolds so...

thanks for the clarification, definitely best to send it back.