• CONTEST: Back to school!

Join the contest below and share a picture of your kid or college student out at the range, cleaning their rifle, or shooting at a target!

Join contest
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Tikka 17 HMR range report

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Minuteman
  • May 9, 2018
    Virginia
    I used to do range reports, chronograph test, various test like suppressed vs unsuppressed and so on, on the RFC forum but them being the dickheads they are "dickheads=P___py, So__a and the clique gang, to many numbnuts to mention" I have stopped posting things like this over there. Now that that's out of the way let's start.

I haven't shot the Tikka 17 much so this time I really wanted to get a good feel for it accuracy and dB level. Yesterday, I started out with a Lantec Dragon muzzle brake because I had success with it on my 22's. It was way too loud and I had to wear earmuffs. Since this being a jacketed round I also decided to swap out pistons in my AAC Ti-Rant 45M and try it. I already had data from the Silencerco Sparrow and thread protector. I use a free app for my android phone called Decibel X. I put it under the trigger guard and record the MAX sound and just reset and repeat. I took 15 readings with the Sparrow, AAC Ti-Rant, Lantec brake and thread protector. Ammo used for all was CCI 17 GR TNT. Recordings from the AAC and Lantec were taken yesterday, the others were two weeks ago. The T-Rant really surprised me being "that" much lower than the Sparrow.

Results
    AAC Ti-Rant 45M "full config" AVG 86.85 dB
    Silencerco Sparrow AVG 93.4 dB
    Thread Protector AVG 100.1 dB
    Lantec Dragon Muzzle Brake AVG 103.7 dB

Next I want to show some photos of split necks I had. I only found 10 out of 50 but they were all out of the same box. This didn't seem to affect accuracy.

0711191823.jpg

I had a lot of FT Eject this time, more than I remember having last time. I'm pretty sure I have it fixed now though. With one of my 22 Lr's I got it fixed on the first try but not this time. I made a bend too far forward and it caused my rounds to not come up high enough to feed. I had to correct that and make other bends. I'm going to cut the chase and tell you the way you see my ejector in the photos is how it ended up and it works great. I do have a little more resistance closing the bolt than before but it's not bad, just noticeable. I do want to point out and have included photos that the medical pliers makes it easy to access the ejector.

0712190629.jpg0712190629a.jpg0712190630b.jpg0712190631.jpg0712190630c.jpg

Now the accuracy part. I only shot 15 rounds with the Lantec to get the dB recordings so no targets with that. Can't find the targets with the Sparrow and Thread Protector. All targets shown were shot yesterday, roughly 350 rounds total. As you can see the 20 GR bullets didn't do so well this time. All the 17 GR shot great "to me". Yes, I did get lucky with 5 shots in the 1/8" group. But.....I'll take it. :) I can only post ten photos, that's the reason for another entry.Tikka 17 Win 20 GR JHP AAC 7-11-19.jpgTikka 17 Horny 20 GR XTP AAC 7-11-19.jpgTikka 17 Federal 17 GR V-MAX AAC 7-11-19.jpgTikka 17 Horny 17 GR V-MAX AAC 7-11-19.jpg

Here's the remaining targets and rifle as shot.

Tikka 17 Horny 17 GR TNT AAC 7-11-19.jpgTikka 17 CCI 17 GR Poly Tip AAC 7-11-19.jpg0711191823b.jpg0711191823a.jpg

Remember guys, I'm just another guy in my backyard doing what I love to do and share it with other like minded people. Nothing scientific with the dB readings, nothing special about the accuracy results. However, I do hope someone does benefit from the ejector adjustments and possibly the split necks. Like someone thinking something is wrong with their gun when I would say not. BTW, have I ever told you that DeWalt fan is worth it's weight in gold. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

KoD, My 17 wouldn't eject either. Probably 90% of the cases would spin 180* and lay on top of the next round. My first attempt at tweaking the ejector made things worse. It would pull the case out of the chamber but it would stick in the extractor. After many, many attempts, I had the ejector bent nine ways from Sunday and had trouble the front in the slot. I was about to give up and send it for repair. On the last attempt it started kicking them out. Like you, I had noticeable increase in bolt resistance. Now it will sling unfired rounds about a foot and fired cases maybe a few inches with about a 5% FTE rate. I want to shoot it some more before I decide to send it in or not. At least I know how to make it not eject before I send it back. I really have my doubts about the durability of the ejector wire.

Yeah, I know for sure I'm pretty good at making it not eject. I believe the wire itself will hold up, it just needs to be at the right angle to be effective. I would say most rifles are the same, but a few, like ours needs to be tweaked. Have you had any neck splits? What kind of accuracy are you getting?

I've spent the last three years trying to make the 17 WSM work in a small Martini. No luck. I'v e looked for suggestions but without success.

Not to be mean or disrespectful but I'm glad I didn't buy the Tikka 17hmr local to me, (was it you that warned me of ejection issues??) or any other brand for that matter.

Instead I tried a reduced load in my CZ527 custom in 20-221FB which has been stupid accurate with 8fps SD, 32's at 2300 fps, I love shooting that thing!!!

No factory ammo though, but weighing powder to the kernel has it's benefits!

Reactions: rookie7
    A few years back I looked at the WSM but I couldn't find a rifle mfg who made one that I liked. At that time I believe it was Savage and Ruger; has another mfg jump on board now?

@ sako17, I didn't know Martini made a rifle chambered for the WSM.

The problem we have is there are no ammo suppliers making match grade ammo in 17 HMR or WSM.

As an afterthought, now I wish I had chronographed the Federal box with the split necks. I wonder how fast they really were considering the necks didn't hold up with some. If you look at the test target the round was still pretty accurate.

Not to be mean or disrespectful but I'm glad I didn't buy the Tikka 17hmr local to me, (was it you that warned me of ejection issues??) or any other brand for that matter.

Instead I tried a reduced load in my CZ527 custom in 20-221FB which has been stupid accurate with 8fps SD, 32's at 2300 fps, I love shooting that thing!!!

No factory ammo though, but weighing powder to the kernel has it's benefits!

Yeah, that's great. Sounds like a nice shooting setup. Nothing mean or disrespectful perceived at all. What's really nice about the 17 HMR is that you don't reload it, I reload for a lot of calibers already so not having another is a plus for me.

Is the 20-221FB about the same as the 20 Vartarg?

Yeah, that's great. Sounds like a nice shooting setup. Nothing mean or disrespectful perceived at all. What's really nice about the 17 HMR is that you don't reload it, I reload for a lot of calibers already so not having another is a plus for me.

Is the 20-221FB about the same as the 20 Vartarg?

Yes, the 20VT and a 20-221 is pretty much the same thing but mine is an Ackley Improved version with a 40 degree shoulder blown forward a bit and with less body taper, it's named 5mmFBI. It's what I ended up with when I was searching for a used 20 VT. I got two rifles, the custom dies, ammo, brass, bullets, and the reamer.

I have a very expensive 22rf but like all 22's, even with expensive match ammo, the vertical goes to crap at longer distances. At some point in the last couple years I grew tired of it!!!???

Then a few months ago I saw my friends and their 17 hmr's having similar issues with vertical at distance and both were lucky to get 1" groups at 100Y, plus with that little 17gr bullet it's really hard to see whats going on with misses way out there.

My normal 5mmFBI load has the 32's going 3735 fps in a 21" barrel with H4198. Not pushing the case and if I used AA2200 I could probably get over 3900 fps.

Sorry to OT your thread! Just thought I'd mention how happy I am with my 20 cal experiment as an alternate.

Yep, it's always nice just opening a box of factory ammo for convenience sake!!!

PCP air rifles have come a long way, some really cool ones available nowadays. Cast or swaged bullets, barrels with the correct twists, and very low extreme spreads (seen 3 fps reported before!) are making these more appealing to me lately. I have 1500 lbs of lead to use up so...

@ steve123, I would fit more into your category if I had a range of at least 100 yards closer by than what I do. That's one reason I don't shoot my .223 XP-100 or my 5.56 AR's as much, shooting them at 55 yards is almost like wasting ammo if done from a bench. There are a few places around within 45 to 70 minutes that have a 100 yard range or longer, I'll just have to drive it.

The reloading is my exact challenge also. I'm not able to keep up loading as it is. Plus the small varmint hunting in the tractor boneyard the 17g 17 bullet vaporizes when it hits something hard.

Yeah, I know for sure I'm pretty good at making it not eject. I believe the wire itself will hold up, it just needs to be at the right angle to be effective. I would say most rifles are the same, but a few, like ours needs to be tweaked. Have you had any neck splits? What kind of accuracy are you getting?
    I haven't noticed any splits but haven't been looking either. I'll pay more attention next time I have it out. Accuracy was acceptable to me, under 1' at 100 (probably close to 3/4) with cci and hornady vmax. Mine didn't like the 20gr hp's .

@ steve123, I would fit more into your category if I had a range of at least 100 yards closer by than what I do. That's one reason I don't shoot my .223 XP-100 or my 5.56 AR's as much, shooting them at 55 yards is almost like wasting ammo if done from a bench. There are a few places around within 45 to 70 minutes that have a 100 yard range or longer, I'll just have to drive it.

I can see your point!

It's the opposite where I live here in northern AZ, this morning I'll be out in the FS which is a 15 minute drive and can shoot as far as I want. Plus I have a friend who's property is a shooting range with steel to 1122Y out the front porch and small steel to 421Y out back. ?

On my property which is 7 minutes to our mall I shoot my air rifles to 160Y but it backs the FS on 3 sides so there is lot's of room to do so.

KOD, y'er not gonna continue offering y'er ballistic data over at RFC?
    Come on now! Don't be like that.
    Continue the battle for truth, factual reports and a complete lack of "submoa all day long, if I do my part." :)

Ya' know, if you really want to cause a fuss,
    you could always add to the discussion of 22wmr accuracy.
    Guaranteed to raise the hackles of the fanboyz. ;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kisssofdeath
    KOD, y'er not gonna continue offering y'er ballistic data over at RFC?
    Come on now! Don't be like that.
    Continue the battle for truth, factual reports and a complete lack of "submoa all day long, if I do my part." :)

Ya' know, if you really want to cause a fuss,
    you could always add to the discussion of 22wmr accuracy.
    Guaranteed to raise the hackles of the fanboyz. ;)

I know, but don't want that forum to have anything I have wrote about or tested about. I don't want to contribute to them any longer. The way they (the mods and admin and the clique) treated me was not good. I do have a lot of screenshots saved and someday may post them to show just how it was justified when I'd get an "infraction". I got a 7 day ban and the excuse was. "my account had been hacked or I was a victim of a spambot". I'm like WTF are these people talking about.

You see, if you speak up against the "clique" and prove them wrong by doing actual test like velocity vs barrel length and how fast is a CCI Stinger out of different barrel lengths, at what barrel length does SV ammo start to slow down, how is accuracy affected by shooting one 22 lr ammo brand then going to another brand, how does JB bore paste affect accuracy and so on the "clique" doesn't like to be proved wrong on those subjects especially when they have invested time in telling newcomers what they want them to believe.

There is always a couple of "clique" members in each subforum. All these "clique" members are paying members BTW. Every newcomer who asks a question gets hit on by a "clique" member and you better not go against what the "clique" member says. There are a few "clique' members in the Anschutz section who are such self proclaimed experts that if someone come in and said, "My Anschutz isn't farting just right, what do I do?" Those experts would speak up, take it serious and start asking fart questions. Well, maybe that's a little extreme but it gets my point across I'm sure.

The "clique" members are like armchair quarterbacks and backseat drivers. They remind me of a really old dude like 200 years old dressed in his robe with slippers on his feet, sitting in a fancy leather chair, leg crossed, beside a fireplace with mountains of books around him while puffing on a cigar and drinking fuking tea while admiring all his Coopers, Dakota's and fancy wood Anschutz on the wall that never get shot. They never ask their own questions because they are already an expert at everything. They sit and wait on people to come in and ask the question so they can refer to their books, magazines and other material to quote or post photos of to show the new guy, "look, I know this and this" believe me because I am the expert.

This is all bullshit and you know why? Because the biggest majority of those clique members has never posted a photo showing them actually shooting a gun, showing a target, showing range photos, showing hunting photo or anything else to prove they have any real life experience in what they are talking about. They are nothing but fuking posers and wannbe's. And when someone speaks up against them their whole "safe space world" falls apart. Give'm a damn coloring book and building blocks.

I just might pull all my test/comparison threads down over there and repost them here. Hopefully members here will just take the test at face value for what it is. I am not an expert nor do I claim to be one. I'm just a guy like the rest of you who enjoys shooting and sharing his experience when possible.

I hear y'a KOD...y'er problem is ya' keep bringing facts and logic to an internet discussion.
    Hp1yF2fDMpjz1jh3Rud4yshOe9DyA4_tDYC1D4eVKHbpt-xbsJTTo6PJ77Ifij4LPfMl97gOCmJA9PNjtw=s15

I also have made that same mistake, on multiple occasions...well, more like accidentally on purpose.
    sJb9yGTIN3wrjVD1Cj647k2vb6HvpEVOQNkF2Qx-iFsRtEBTCaAyT1aIVKyNRJmqjT3erCnIt0hpw6b3KQ=s18

Makes it really difficult for the fanboyz to hang on to the fantasy.
    1OrlhpbxllzTD5KHFZ6YrIEEJO1Q1wTGFZvVP1tzq_e15RtqX8sSdtBFNtl58o8gUWsxVQxOhu6X7_qpRg=w30-h52

Stay away from here spreading your false truth. My gun always does half MOA when I do my part.

Even the little rocks I throw down the range hit the dead center, when I do my part.

Honestly, on the internet forums, if somebody shows a photo of one good group and that only, does he really go to the range, shoot 5 shots in 0.3moa and then leaves? Why they do not shoot more and show us loads of small groups? I wonder why..

Yeah, I get a kick out of people who post a single group and call it a day. I could do that and say I have the most accurate 17 HMR in the world if I posted this one target and cropped out the rest, wait, let me try that and see how it looks.

Hey, everybody, look at me. I shot 5 shots through practically the same hole. I declare my 17 HMR to be the most accurate in the world.

the great.png

When in reality I shot this. I did put 5 in that one hole but it was luck, plain and simple. No more no less. But if that's all I showed wouldn't you be more impressed than this.

Tikka 17 Horny 17 GR TNT AAC 7-11-19.jpg

@Kisssofdeath have you tried CCI A17 in your gun. It is about 100fps hotter than most 17 ammo. I have an Anschutz that will not shoot anything accurately at all. I placed the A17 in the gun, and it shoots in .2 5 shot groups and .75 5 shot 100 yards. I tried all the other stuf and was anywhere from 1.5 to 4 inches at 100. I have a Tikka T1x in 22lr and have posted a ton of groups from it on here. I have been wanting to buy a 17hmr to match it. I love the T1x.

PBP, don't believe the rated mv's on anything rimfire.
    The mv rating is an estimated average and can be wildly incorrect.
    My recent chrony numbers with all CCI made 17 hmr has been about 150 to 200 fps higher than labeled.
    I reached a frustration level a couple years ago with unexplainable flyers.
    After setting up the chronograph out front for every range session, the mv's measured explained the results.

3khQrvVttLq7sy5t0lboFv2h9BJQuQvXcjBPdEoTGMWCGmQ1olOwDDrRRJnaWnFX6vr646LVoZF9uyhbfYlsFNCg0JSETNvAE6lA9Md-zknRkbZFJ2dff7VexOIckmnugRyh-xg7xM09ciI8AAfFJyEFOFHzs5d-2DDsyU6KSsHGYpLDeUowKbG6sWQId905uI9RQL-CjG_svOycbSS1D1PmgzE2EH22PngNRQL5HMMAWr73kLYZPjPBbLDrIk1fHJFTdLOMXDoOKDd8lLUvybELtJ2kzD_tydnFB_dZUK576wyVXnvbXbnNvJgcdoyHyIsInvw6m4H-lqWsZtgdCOoyyfmEL7xc8Ef1oltCmtAGQDlLIV8EwY-MDxxTdQq7I530CRsUaiDdTgFIM2aHawvuzYGTwGO4p2hERH4rB33pAdSQeGV3dN3erGx9rLEzMG7v-0vW85y0p8O-x-5pfvfe7Mi4emuk5EgcOBsGAqMautgWsUedgvwLz2yLO1INi-W3wP8aLHB-f-jcwiazQCOvFBf_l3unY21_VBKAPz_TRcoJtQYaSDWVU2Ryy2_jPslEfyWq4vV5Zbi6dl4azIF3HTKbP0Ta3vXDeb3MlYpYagEOgX5PqupOh_C0UVeB_bwpv7gM5JFPdRUL3ElJGy3e7WjAmkCv=w388-h464-no

_L54EiU6OvuooOI2gifh1alC130GVbHHmY1itLJ6m7SK5-DClK66IWxnSrehTZDzsfuEqodrUjCRfgzc0a5CADhpp3Ni6sOr_-8BJbAAZJUn82sQqhUrC75Y0BptdmslirgFIin-90Nx2YzgVtOdazRrClu--sOWvxSoBEGrKY-eCWRWrxgOVKbFe692teNSDEzH15ekT4hzQzfX_ZYTWVYrEO7gv2kxWw0_Ut3TGTKjfIWPaM2sGhnUsEdmR2kKsDdhccygqHuQkvUqeY35HPvW7iaV-30fKpItdoHWzzTUcOqtbhvF4nzp_gBfnp_ZfHIJ1S8W3CWlHfmIvWImmXjqR_cHUDcfZdhS4hZ9riL1HsihE65rywNcQec-Do85S5Ya7ga2WtDD3YlLflBwFiChwXOYA4Jbp71oazjW_W81jYHSFxj8r4PRToJyVuyKrKpjCuGfG2iyqY9Gm0L21UpTOKrB-bj89D6Qm7ChrGtVkcTzQjeI9x6y9KeJpH0IaF7bdz0b9U94LzsSw4mXPUKUXabKfrkSEj7pqQhZ5ckDdvx2CT9kWZTpPFJWe-022cS7ZcbzMRuEZmD92wUha8Z1wJPfcY9wjSjq2G81uo2is899Geyc17byb7FrmsRaZeRWFdE4KIEJYMU5bhBWn4DO3mwMMCJW6S1Ff67SfGZPh-BPTDBNsDE8q4cIqBHfKzRGx_rwmqqvQU0JeBVYKbER=w423-h626-no

zPlD8xvEaJXPaTgNGHUbt_FE1pEaceJHOJK--BEwVBbMyU08p8GwH3kCcJfZG5tq-or7LinFEcQK055p6fv1Whfv3NazS4vydWx9VBAuRdkDbCVlx3WVjkjSMX4Y92CZVtfzI_wkGEKtSYc5bJcM62w-nmTP71eoS9mFjDi2AZZ3fx_QCakEPdpBCvTNhR3aSFq6JZhCfG2KF7LzLvcRtg_SGoKfTyAunrBc29Bi1DJGEF4_Q0Il0ISZHQseq2zNdGwAsyaiXBRj7sMUvrY3P3Pl-FiHJe0aOkoyKMZNKwryBVJvxnm6fB-M2H50KWyQhCHu8TNA_OGZMbcJ2vEPO1U80a4IwqCB3ltIewKSrREppnuBfznJizbgY0pUn4nhb5RSdTUgFqbwu6vsSHYCqaoHgO1aqI2CQGoBeJ7M6pT_aZUrLkMb4lC4ZTdmsjK7xIFWViYTF5z8f-Kt4DGVKPaI7rn2bUh60dle3CFqHwno_QJTN_g0gQQJViXs26hUmVPTvJ-rzz6GM3xoVX6ALoyUkpud3_H0pj8KJRXn7Gov3941Xs7UVgTTfQfghv6SttL8Lqy277PulGFUVEWbapjgUyprGtwQN6OlAkUuW5KX12673aYsva0F4j1l8HUfE5B6kdqirK0t0mNlpGlLWn__fioqmCCC8XyrlGBGwEwMtvZgwMjABNwPzqrfZcWkpN2W5bsAz2Xwk6jNgDiTGb6WGwsX7CCAhtpqNw=w551-h626-no

Last edited:
    KoD - that is some good shooting. Tikkas can shoot for sure.

Wish 17hmr ammo wasn’t so inconsistent. I always seem to get a few fliers and I Hope it’s ammo and no me :giggle:

Example here is my CZ 455 17hmr barrel that has been cut and threaded to 17.5”.

I need to try some of that A17 ammo

@ proff49, have you shot the 15.5 gr bullets? Evidently the twist rate isn't fast enough for a 20 gr bullet?? Has anyone else experienced this?

Depends on the velocity. IIRC, the .17 Cal rimfire barrels were 1-9. I do know at some lower velocities, a 20gr .17 cal bullet becomes unstable at distance in a 1-9 twist. You can see it in acuracy testing done at interval ranges; the accuracy degrades exponentially. I saw this when testing the .17 Aguila (long before the HM2 was out), and working with the C/E on the bullet design.

RFC? Man, I haven't been there in ages. About the time old Chief Dave passed, I ended up parting ways. Still miss when it was "Indy's Rimfire Central" and whatever the second name was (started with a "G"), before it finally became RFC. Of course, this was back in the day when Varmint Al was still active, and GGVG was one of the forums to go to. Crap. That was like 20 years ago...

@Kisssofdeath have you tried CCI A17 in your gun. It is about 100fps hotter than most 17 ammo. I have an Anschutz that will not shoot anything accurately at all. I placed the A17 in the gun, and it shoots in .2 5 shot groups and .75 5 shot 100 yards. I tried all the other stuf and was anywhere from 1.5 to 4 inches at 100. I have a Tikka T1x in 22lr and have posted a ton of groups from it on here. I have been wanting to buy a 17hmr to match it. I love the T1x.
    You know, the A17 is one of the types I have not tried. I will have to get some.

Reactions: Prebanpaul
    Bumping this to the top to see if there is more input on the reliable functioning and accuracy of the T1X 17 hmr.

I want to buy a 17 hmr, and the 2 contenders are the T1X and the 457 varmint.
    Thank you

Just to reiterate from above, I'm happy with my Tikka 17 HMR. Ejection was an issue at first like all my other Tikkas but after an ejector adjustment all is good now. Accuracy is great too, or for me anyway. Photo wise I have nothing new to contribute.

Guess that I am one of the lucky ones since we have never had FTF/FTE issues with either our .22LR and .17HMR Tikka T1's. My wife has been monopolizing range time on them since I am tinkering with a few Annie's so I am looking forward to a chance to compare them later based on my limited shooting skills.