• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka 7 SAUM Questions

Afkirby

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Mechanicsville, MD
I’ve got a buddy looking to put together a long action 7 SAUM for hunting & shooting heavy bullets. I suggested starting with a Tikka since they’re all long action, are quality actions, and can be found in magnum boltfaces regularly for pretty cheap.
Which model would you all reccomend as a starting point? Would it be better to start with a short action magnum? Or would a regular magnum’s magazine setup accommodate the saum and heavy bullets better?

also if you have any other recommendations they would be appreciated.

All depends on the chamber. I have a 6.5 GAP 4S built on a Tikka SA, but I went with the .081 chamber to be able to feed from SA mags. 7 SAUM is going to be similar.

Keep in mind that there are limited LA chassis/stock options for Tikkas so depending on what he’s wanting to use it for primarily (leisure, match shooting, hunting, etc.), that should dictate which action length you go with.

Beauty about Tikkas is that you can switch from long to short or vice versa with a simple bolt stop swap and then stock choice.

Reactions: Afkirby
He‘ll probably just stick with the factory stock and bottom metal. I know he can swap out the mags and bolt stop for whatever size he needs, I figured it would just be cheaper to get a donor rifle that will need less rearranging of parts.

With a standard reamer and 180 class bullets a long action magazine is nice if your concerned about being close to the lands and stuffing in a lot of H1000/7977.

I’m running it in a short action and it’s shooting awesome jumping a lot.
running R26 gets me the speed I want without crunching powder.

I went with a SS T3X 300 win mag I picked up used. Am planning on sending it off with a 24” 8.4 twist Proof sendero light to be chambered in 7 SAUM. And have a Mesa Precision Altitude to send with for inletting and bedding. Just gotta a) figure out who to send it to and b) get around to doing it!

All tikka actions are the same in regards to length. There is no short or long, only a different bolt stop and magazine internal length.

You probably want a LA bolt stop for loading long short mags. And obviously a magnum bolt face.

If I were you I’d find a cheap donor magnum bolt face t3, get a LA bolt stop for 30 bucks if needed along with some longer mags.

If it's being set up for a long action and long COAL then go for a long action.
Tikkas aren't exactly known for generous mag lengths so you will likely end up paying extra buying a new bolt stop and longer magazine.

Get one the billet magazines from hells canyon armory, allows seating to 3.4" with wsm, saum or prc cases. I have two rifles built on Tikka, 25 saum and 6.5 saum, all throated long for heavy for cal vld style bullets. They work fantastic.

That's my plan as well for a 7 saum seated long with 180's