• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka build? Whos gonna talk me into a custom?

Coyote Kev

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2018
Pierre SD
I've read many things on this subject but still got questions. I think I want to build a Tikka 22-250 or 22 creed. It's actually for my son. He's left handed which really decreases options. I was gonna just buy a T3 in 22-250 and throw it in a MDT XRS chassis. It appears that the 22-250 only comes in the light version and has a thin non threaded barrel. That's a no go. I will not shoot unsuppresed. And I'd really like a thicker barrel for longer shot strings. I'm sure many will tell me to start with a custom action but the things that appeal to me about Tikka are:
1. Most think they are a great action
2. 70 degree bolt throw
3. The bolt locks with the safety

This will mostly be a prairie dog and coyote rifle.

Questions: 1. Are there Tikka clone actions?
2. Other left handed actions I should consider?
3. Should I mess with a Oregon mountain barrel action?

I first thought I could do this for about $1500. That's when I thought I should be able to get a Tikka action for about half the cost of a rifle. Wrong. The actions I've found (which are few) are more than a full rifle. I'd rather not spend more than 2k all told.

77FBC754-8575-49A7-9F07-970AA135EB0F.png

I'm still learning that this is true.

Reactions: Nik H
I've read many things on this subject but still got questions. I think I want to build a Tikka 22-250 or 22 creed. It's actually for my son. He's left handed which really decreases options. I was gonna just buy a T3 in 22-250 and throw it in a MDT XRS chassis. It appears that the 22-250 only comes in the light version and has a thin non threaded barrel. That's a no go. I will not shoot unsuppresed. And I'd really like a thicker barrel for longer shot strings. I'm sure many will tell me to start with a custom action but the things that appeal to me about Tikka are:
1. Most think they are a great action
2. 70 degree bolt throw
3. The bolt locks with the safety

This will mostly be a prairie dog and coyote rifle.

Questions: 1. Are there Tikka clone actions?
2. Other left handed actions I should consider?
3. Should I mess with a Oregon mountain barrel action?
For a 22cal the muzzle is big enough for a 1/2-28 to be cut. For mine in 6.5 creed I sent it to Thunderbeast for them to put a 9/16 thread with their face mount cb brake. Long Rifles Inc cuts threads pretty good as well. I've used them before on a different gun.
20211010_124745.jpg

20220705_222415.jpg

I first thought I could do this for about $1500. That's when I thought I should be able to get a Tikka action for about half the cost of a rifle. Wrong. The actions I've found (which are few) are more than a full rifle. I'd rather not spend more than 2k all told.

Is this a good kid or some asshole kid?

You can lie to his mom and yourself but don’t lie to Doc.

If he’s really good kid and I mean you know it deep down, go full retard and buy him something from the used isle of the hide. Do your homework and please just buy from a local member and don’t get scammed.

A lot of people have a lot of opinions at the end of the day it’s your money and your kid.

either way he’s gonna waste your ammo fucking around, being a kid.

I vote you buy him a TacOps like a good dad.

He's a good kid. But spoiled. Has better gear than most adults. Thing is I can't buy him better stuff than I got. This has already morphed into about twice as expensive than I was thinking.
Yeah, started this way for my son's rifle. I had (have) a nearly new Rem 700 barreled action (barrel is a piece of Cr**). figured I would rebarrel it,add one of my "spare" scopes, a trigger out of my box of spares and an extra Manners T-4a. It is now an Impact action, New trigger, ZCO scope/mount and Manners T2a. Then when it's done you sit back and can't believe it came to this and then say, well whats done is done. Hey son, hope you like rice and beans for dinner....

I'm a lefty. I bought a tikka to drop in an expensive chassis (cadex) and it is definitely a very good shooting rifle. It's every bit as capable as a full custom setup (with the right ammo of course).
If the cost of a tikka is not far from some of the more budget friendly custom options (zermatt origin as an example), maybe the PX is your best bet. Might be able to find a left handed action or rifle if you're patient enough. And a custom action with an R700 footprint could end up staying with him for a lot longer as he gets older because there are more options for upgrades (triggers, stocks). My tikka is nice and a good shooter, but I have no need for it anymore once I went custom. I wanted my competition rifle to match my trainer rifle, and the tikka feels different, so I decided to just buy a new bolt and barrel for my comp rifle to keep operation the exact same. I have no need for two .223's, so the tikka will be moving on. In these cases, a custom with an R700 footprint is cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm a lefty. I bought a tikka to drop in an expensive chassis (cadex) and it is definitely a very good shooting rifle. It's every bit as capable as a full custom setup (with the right ammo of course).
If the cost of a tikka is not far from some of the more budget friendly custom options (zermatt origin as an example), maybe the PX is your best bet. Might be able to find a left handed action or rifle if you're patient enough. And a custom action with an R700 footprint could end up staying with him for a lot longer as he gets older because there are more options for upgrades (triggers, stocks). My tikka is nice and a good shooter, but I have no need for it anymore once I went custom. I wanted my competition rifle to match my trainer rifle, and the tikka feels different, so I decided to just buy a new bolt and barrel for my comp rifle to keep operation the exact same. I have no need for two .223's, so the tikka will be moving on. In these cases, a custom with an R700 footprint is cheaper.
My turn off with the Rem 700 and it's clones is that the safety does not lock the bolt closed. Unless there are some that do? It's my number 1 and probably only complaint with my Desert tech SRS.

My turn off with the Rem 700 and it's clones is that the safety does not lock the bolt closed. Unless there are some that do? It's my number 1 and probably only complaint with my Desert tech SRS.
I'm curious for your opinion on this. I believe being able to open the bolt with the safety on is a good thing. If you have a round chambered in the tikka and want to remove it without firing, the safety has to be off. With good trigger discipline, this round can be extracted safely, although not as safely as when the safety is still on.

My problem is bumping the bolt handle up in a hunting situation and then it goes click. This is somewhat specific to coyote hunting when you have the rifle on a bipod or tripod and have to quickly move it over to shoot in a different direction than anticipated. It happens easier than you think. Ideally you have a 3 position safety like a savage or ruger american. Bolt is locked on safe and you can cycle rounds out without being on fire.

Ruger American would be a good option (for the money), except the Gen1 safety doesn't lock the bolt, and the Gen2 doesn't come in left hand. -- Maybe reach out and see if they plan to offer Gen2 in left hand at some point.

Otherwise, Tikka makes a number of left-handed compact tactical models. None of them in the chamberings you noted, but 243 wouldn't be a bad option either. For example: https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/code/TF1T1524B180960B
Let him burn that up, then swap out for a 22 cal barrel later if you want.

ETA: They show four 243 Win models. Looks like the only difference is black vs stainless barrel and adjustable vs fixed cheek piece: https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/group/tikka/t3x-compact-tactical-rifle?handedness=LH&caliber=243 WIN

Last edited:
Except that AI is close to Hk for us lefties. Ask @Nik H for his woes with AI. And I heard that Hk is expanding HK USA.
As difficult as it has been to obtain bolt bodies and spare parts for my left-handed AIs, it is still the finest rifle I have ever owned from a variety of perspectives. A little patience goes a long way. I have perfected it.

Nik Waiting for AI.jpeg

Reactions: LeftyJason
Ruger American would be a good option (for the money), except the Gen1 safety doesn't lock the bolt, and the Gen2 doesn't come in left hand. -- Maybe reach out and see if they plan to offer Gen2 in left hand at some point.

Otherwise, Tikka makes a number of left-handed compact tactical models. None of them in the chamberings you noted, but 243 wouldn't be a bad option either. For example: https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/code/TF1T1524B180960B
Let him burn that up, then swap out for a 22 cal barrel later if you want.

ETA: They show four 243 Win models. Looks like the only difference is black vs stainless barrel and adjustable vs fixed cheek piece: https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/group/tikka/t3x-compact-tactical-rifle?handedness=LH&caliber=243 WIN
Except they don't import any of those. Only really import the ones in that view that start JRT