• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka CTR Stock Upgrade - Thoughts?

mikethetiger55

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2014
I have a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 that has been sitting in the safe for a few months and I would like to upgrade the stock. Primary application it will be used for is hunting and occasionally some long distance paper punching. I am a traditionalist and I really like the looks of the Manners line but I am not too keen on taking the effort to bring it to a gunsmith to have it bedded and I am not quite sure what the lead times are for the local gunsmith that I trust (Roberts Precision Rifles). Would I be giving up anything by going the KRG Bravo route? On one hand I could probably go that route and spend half the money but I don't necessarily want to end up with buyers remorse especially if I am comparing apples to oranges. Thoughts?

What's the matter with the stock the CTR came in?? 99% of them shoot better than any sub-$1k factory should, and a deer doesn't care what your stock looks like. For a hunting rig and casual paper punching the factory plastic handle works just fine.

I understand the desire for something "better", but many shooters ( not necessarily you ) would be better off shooting more, and upgrading less.....

What's the matter with the stock the CTR came in?? 99% of them shoot better than any sub-$1k factory should, and a deer doesn't care what your stock looks like. For a hunting rig and casual paper punching the factory plastic handle works just fine.

I understand the desire for something "better", but many shooters ( not necessarily you ) would be better off shooting more, and upgrading less.....

Truthfully, I have no reason real reason to upgrade the stock other than just a desire for something new. I have plenty of deer rifles and spent this past season hunting with one of my trusty 7 mags, but I purchased this rifle to give me something to tinker with. I actually just spoke with Aaron Roberts (Roberts Precision), and his advice was very similar to yours - i.e. shoot it as is and if you don't like the stock bring it in and we'll go with a Manners. Lead time really wasn't as bad as I thought at around 2 weeks. However, despite sound advice from both of you, I am admittedly hard headed and as my late Italian grandmother used to say, "A hard head makes for a soft ass!".

Overall I have a safe full of stock rifles that are perfectly fine as-is, just looking for something different.

I bought a KRG X-Ray chassis for my Tikka CTR but couldn't work out reliable and easy feeding mags that were close to the Tikka CTR mag quality, chambering reliability, and smoothness at a lower price point. The AICS mags recommended ended up costing more than the CTR mags.

I put my CTR back in the factory stock and will be putting the KRG X-Ray up for sale soon. I was going to buy a Tac A1 to meet the desire for a tactical stock, but I'm now leaning towards the new Christensen Modern Precision Rifle.

I bought a KRG X-Ray chassis for my Tikka CTR but couldn't work out reliable and easy feeding mags that were close to the Tikka CTR mag quality, chambering reliability, and smoothness at a lower price point. The AICS mags recommended ended up costing more than the CTR mags.

I put my CTR back in the factory stock and will be putting the KRG X-Ray up for sale soon. I was going to buy a Tac A1 to meet the desire for a tactical stock, but I'm now leaning towards the new Christensen Modern Precision Rifle.

Did you try the MDT polymer 308 mag? I've read that it works perfectly in the KRG chassis.

I have a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 that has been sitting in the safe for a few months and I would like to upgrade the stock. Primary application it will be used for is hunting and occasionally some long distance paper punching. I am a traditionalist and I really like the looks of the Manners line but I am not too keen on taking the effort to bring it to a gunsmith to have it bedded and I am not quite sure what the lead times are for the local gunsmith that I trust (Roberts Precision Rifles). Would I be giving up anything by going the KRG Bravo route? On one hand I could probably go that route and spend half the money but I don't necessarily want to end up with buyers remorse especially if I am comparing apples to oranges. Thoughts?

Look at the German Gun Stock offerings. They have a mini chassis in them and do not need bedding. You can get them for the CTR bottom metal for $750-800 delivered to your door. Takes 6-8 weeks, but completely worth it. I have my CTR in a Predator and it is a great dual purpose hunting/match gun. PM me your number or email and I will send some pictures of mine. I have a medium Palma barrel and it clears.

I love my X-Ray, and it sees lots of hunting use, along with the range days. It's a little heavy if you're looking for a hiking gun, but if you're going to put a big piece of glass on it anyway, a few extra ounces for a stock isn't going to make a difference.

Hey Mike - looks like your out of Houston using Roberts to do your smith work. I am planning to do the exact same thing in an EH1. Not needed but will give the rifle a different look and better feel. Eventually I'll rebarrel the factory barrel once I've shot it out.

Hey Mike - looks like your out of Houston using Roberts to do your smith work. I am planning to do the exact same thing in an EH1. Not needed but will give the rifle a different look and better feel. Eventually I'll rebarrel the factory barrel once I've shot it out.

Yes, I am a Cajun transplant living just north of Houston. The German Gun Stocks that were posted look very intriguing but I will probably wait on a Manners and take it Aaron to work on. I've been convinced to shoot it as is for now and plan to mount my scope and take it out this weekend. No sense in leaving it tucked away in the safe.

Are there any problems with the ol' AICS? Er accurate mag .308s? I feel like those dont have issues in any Tikka stocks/chassis. Please tell me if im wrong though before i dive in lol

I love both of my McMillan A5's that my tikka's are sitting in. I ordered a Manners T4 but promptly returned it. After inspecting it i found that the bottom metal inlet was not centered, there were air gaps in the camo color and areas were the camo was not finished just exposed fiber glass, and the barrel channel was not straight. After returning it I quickly purchased another trusty McMillan and will stick with them for every future stock purchase.
433883e44a9fbedf9f51f7e6a826a1c3.jpg
a0b191d1baa48187245011f98f3f4f84.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk