• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

To much time on my hands and a 22

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
Big thanks to Don Stith and Rimfire Technologies for helping me put this one together. Build started as a Quad HM2 from local gun shop. Stock is one of Don's built for me. Trigger guard, bolt Handle and Picatinny rail are RT's. Barrel is Lilja's tight bore 16 twist. I glass and finished the stock myself. At one point I was going to stain the stock golden oak as I thought the flecking in the Sicamore might not show up. Glad in didn't as I like how it turned out. Anyway enough BS here she is. Donald

DSC04001.jpg

DSC03998.jpg

DSC03997.jpg

Re: To much time on my hands and a 22

Don, well done! You might remember that when you helped me with my 40X I was getting into 50 yard 50-50 Bench Rest shooting. I've been having a great time and won my first match last week, and have my first 250 in a match with my 40X. I've been watching your progress with this Quad,and am anxious to see if it will hang with the 40X,Shul,Hall,Turbo action rifles in the Unlimited class. I know that you have experience with them all from 52s on, so your results are of interest to me. That DS stock would do just fine in my Pappas rest. Anyway, if it turns out the Quad can compete I would sure like to build one. Regards

Thanks, I beat up on a bunch of high dollar shooters myself two weeks ago with a 40X. The Sako was not finished at the time. Shot a 400 26X on a 50 and 100 yard course of fire. 20 shots for record at each yardage. I'm getting a tunner reamed for this barrel as I write this and hope to be the shit next year when the season opens. Donald

I'm glad that you still have a 40X! I'm up to three of them now and they amaze me. In thousands of rounds fired in practice and competition I've never had one failure of any kind. I take the perfect extraction for granted now, and don't even think about it. I have a Harrell tuner on one and a custom tuner on another. They seem to help take out the vertical. I'm shooting SK standard plus for practice and Eley Match for comp. The SK works well, but will throw a flier that would doom one in a match. Regards

KAZ I was shooting Wolf the other day. SK match is my other favorite. I weight out my ammo for a match. If you toss out the high and low weight ammo you'll get rid most of the fliers. I'm shooting ammo that weights out to 51.4 and 51.5 for matches and the other is parctice. Donald

I do to Greg. Next week I'll find out if she really shoots. I mounted the tunner yesterday and it has a boop tube for cross wind conditions. I think I'll just keep in on the tunner so i don't have to find two setting one with it installed and one with out. The Tunner and tube are black and look a little odd so I'm going to polish the tube. It happens to be the same size of the barrel so it will just look like a mid barrel tunner installed on a 30 inch 22 barrel. Donald

I've been kicking the idea around about making a wood stock for my Sav MKII. My idea is to laminate a block of 1" plywood inside a layup of 1" nominal 1x4 and 1x6 white pine. The ply is to serve as an anchor for pillars. Your basic design idea runs parallel to my ideas, somewhat.

The whole project is for a sorta proof-of-concept.

I've got a 'Fat Albert' 22" .30cal 1:10" barrel blank that's begging to get worked up for my Ghost Dancer as a short cased .30 chambering for FV200; but the barrel diameter is too big for the McM stock's channel, so I'm going to need to cobble up something to work with the blank.

I have some short log sections cut from a Black Walnut tree I dropped in my back yard a month ago, seasoning away in the dark of the garage, and who knows...?

After seeing JDA Sr.'s homemades at our FV200 get togethers, and your exquisite work; I am emboldened, to say the least.

Greg