• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fieldcraft to paint or not to paint

motodog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
gillette wy
opions please,i have a browning super short action in 223 topped with a ss 10x scope and the stock has the duracoat finish in a sage camo.i recently textured the stock in the grip and forarm area.now i was thinkin about painting the action,barrel and scope with krylon in a flat tan or kahki color.i got it out of the stock and taped up i just not sure yet.oh the gun recently shot a group @ 100 that measured .243 5 shot group with handloads. thanks for your help..

Re: to paint or not to paint

Krylon is your friend!
grin.gif

thnxs wardog i know but man what a pain to remove the crap if i dont like it.and also would i be able to get it all completely off if i didnt like it.

Plan out your pattern/approach then do a test run on some cardboard before starting on your gun. You might also consider one of the pre-made stencil kits. Once you are confident in using the paint, and in creating the patterns you want, then go for it. Worst case scenario, just buy a new gun!

I had a series of very nicely painted rifles.

After some use, they began to take on a scruffy cast. I chalked it up to 'character', but in truth, they just looked plain whipped.

Eventually I stripped them back to their original state, not an easy task, either.

Later, I decided I could get by with camo tape. After trying several approaches, I believe the Remington/Realtree Vinyl stuff looks best, and is reasonably easy to remove without leaving any aftermath.

That would be my advice.

Greg

It isn't too much pain to remove Krylon. A good bit more of a pain to remove duraCoat, but either of them can get stripped off if need be. It is an additional pain though to remove paint from textured items.

Factory Brownings come with a Dura Touch finish, not Duracoat, two entirly differnt coatings. It has a tacky almost rubbery feel to it. Dont really know how Krylon will adhere to it. You might want to clean a small area and test it first.

thanks guys i think im gonna wait on the paint. i was gonna spray a bit of the barrel any the can of paint was clogged up.just a test pattern kinda thing. i guess that was kinda my answer.

ok i guess i may paint it BUT its gonna have to wait now i just brought home a brand new savage tactical 308 that is stealing my attention and parts of the browning(scope,rings,bipod,mono-pod)till i gots more money to buy new for the 308.damn all you people this lr shooting is an addiction...aarrggg i needs more money.lol

Why do you want to paint it? If you feel the need for coyote hunting or something like that then go for it. But if all you are doing is painting it so it loks cool I would suggest against it. Either way the value of the gun will go down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaleRider77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure painted rifles are more accurate. If not then you could always ghille wrap it. </div></div>ok now im sold on the painting of all my guns.krylon is gonna live me.hell im gonna nail my duramax also. hey thanks man that answer was awsome..

monty lomg

i'm 100% anti-krylon. however, with that being said, lots of dudes have put out some nice work with it. I feel it's a good option if you would like to be able to alter or adjust your pattern or scheme due to changing operational environments. Everyone talks about not cutting corners on glass or ammo or brass or whatever when you spend 1, 2, 3, 4, 5000 on a weapon, and then that same person goes and sprays $4 worth of crappy paint on it.
Decide what you want, and paint it with something that was meant to protect your gun, not just cover it.

to paint or not to paint

Well answer your question...honestly.
Why do you need it painted, what is it's purpose?

Yea, I can appreciate a beautiful paint/camo job but I used weapons camo'd to different degrees during my career and to tell you the truth at the distances I was making shots from it really didn't matter all that much as I was usually pretty well overall concealed anyway.

My personal weapons have no paint job at all, and I'm actually enjoying that fact. And remember if you're really using a weapon that is camo'd, no matter what type it is or how it was applied is going to look like crap after a month anyway...thank God I don't have to bother with it anymore!

Painting and camo is more for the user than it is the quarry. I personally like the look of a well applied camo paint job to about anything that can be painted. I know that it doesn't make much of a matter to anything in all reality, but I get a sort of pride of ownership thing with it and since I am also the painter I get a pride of work to go along with it. Mine are hunted with pretty darn hard and still look fine after several years of use. Proper application of DuraCoat does quite well.

its just that i have rifle envy i guess.all the painted sticks on this site look so cool.and as stated above painted rifles are more accurate.i have decided to not paint any of them for now especially the browning.although the new savage may get blasted down the road.thanks for all the input fellows.i friggin love this place.

Paint is about personal expression as much as it is about camo. Some of the best concealment isnt very good looking..Some of the best looking isnt the most concealing.. Do what YOU want to do with it. If it doesnt turn out like you wanted, you can do it again until you get it right.

McNett makes a cool camo textured tape that works well without leaving a bunch of residue.
Not sure if it will affect harmonics in the barrel but its worth a try and easy to remove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PAINT X 12!!!! rattle the hell out of it man!!! All the cool kids are doing it these days.</div></div>

YEAH!!! If you don't paint it you'll have to sit alone during lunch!! PAINT!!

Tape it up... Paint it... Put crap ontop and paint it again... Repeat as nessecary.

What could possibly go wrong?
laugh.gif