• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Torque wrench questions (update)

TARFU

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
PA
I need a torque driver for base and ring screws (15 in.lb.) and stock and ring bolts (65 in.lbs). I know Seekonk makes a nice product but I'll need two wrenches and they are pricey. I am looking at a Wiha Torque-Vario 20-70 in.lb. torque screwdriver for $74.00. 3 questions:

Is 20 in.lb. minimum too much for base and ring screws when the manufacturer calls for 15?

Is there a better option (I've heard mixed reviews on the Wheeler FAT wrench)?

Anyone ever use the Wiha? Thanks.

Re: Torque wrench questions

I know sometimes it may not be really handy. But I'm using a standard 3/8" square drive PROTO with a 1/4" adapter. It reads both in inch-pounds and newton-meters. It's small enough to get MOST things. But big enough to get a decent grip on. One of the places I used to work, I could buy tools and they would deduct it a little at a time from my paycheck.

The Craftsman was also recommended to me. Seems like a big wrench for torquing ring and base screws. I guess you need a 1/4 adapter to fit your screwdriver bits? Anyone here own a Wiha?

I ended up buying the Wiha Torque Vario 20-70 in.lb., received it today, and am very pleased. It is quite solid and comes with a robust adjustment tool. There are solid and audible clicks when you reach the torque setting. They are made in Germany and came with a calibration cert. They tested it at 3 levels and the highest deviation was 0.4%. They allow +/- 6%. The driver, 1/4 socket adapter, and 1/4 bit adapter came to my door for $92.00 ordered from All-Spec Tools.

Not a popular tool on this site, so I thought I would give everyone a heads uop.

Typically avoid using calibrated tools at the extremes of their ranges but probably better than the old fashioned "reff on it" method. Consistency is key IMHO.

the other thing is, if you buy higher end tools (price) i.e. snap on for instance, they will calibrate your tools for you free of charge.

for work there used to be this calibration firm that would come in and do all our tools. man were they expensive. it was almost cheaper to buy some tools new