• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing torque wrench

This place is such a joke. It is no wonder vendors run far away from here. Boris is one of the nicest and most most professional guys I have dealt with. This place brings out the worst in people. Bunch of "Sniper-Typers" "Know it all's" here.

Good job FDKAY. You ran off a vendor that often gives SH members discounts and offers group-buys on his new products. Do you even shoot? Or are just a troll? Maybe 4chan is a better place for you...

Thank you for this post.

O.K., I still post. So, your "general consensus" about me means I can not post any more?

Go as far as you wish, say it.

Not what I said, you appear to be a drama queen.
I am glad you still post, as it was never my intent to dissuade you from doing so.
Why don't you objectively read what you posted originally. Very condescending and dripping with sarcasm, so you got a similar response.
Try not to get your panties in a knot.
Good lord.

I want to make something absolutely clear.

Over the years, many of the SH members became my good, and very often, loyal customers, and there is no way I'll abandon them or refuse to assist them in any ways I can. All these SH members are in my customer's database, and they're are covered, as far as their business with Borka Tools is concerned.

However, fdkay's "general consensus" statement made me change my mind about doing promotional business deals on SH.

Insults like "idiot", "drama queen" and "dick", naturally, is not something I take easy, particularly when it comes, per fdkay, in a form of a "general consensus". Obviously, fdkay is somehow being chosen to represent if not all, but at least the majority of SH members, which is a serious consideration to me, but I'm not going to dig any deeper into it.

All future inquiries from the SH members, who are NOT in my customer database, will be forwarded to fdkay and ezgoingkev, so that they can promptly reply to these SH members instead of me.

An official statement from Borka Tools regarding this matter will be posted in Group Buy section a bit later this year as a substitute to the next group buy I was planning to do.

Boris
Borka Tools

Last edited:
Wrong..... do that to a cylinder head, crank shaft, cam blocks and pay the price.

Agreed. We have numerous DC guns in gun packs, for example one cell torques a wheel assembly down to 480-520 in-lbs. It is programmed to bring them down in 50 in-lb increments till each gun catches up. This allows for the assembly to seat squarely and not end up with a false torque reading in the event one nut/bolt combo had a higher drive torque for whatever reason.

And I'll add that we build nearly 100k of these assemblies in a few months each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, then your teacher obviously failed to spread this knowledge to any industry I can think about.
ALL fasteners on ALL production lines are torqued straight from zero to the final torque setting in one step.
However, please feel free to tell everybody that as far as YOU were taught, all of them are using the wrong technology,
do not limit yourself to your post on SH only... When you get replies from the industry people, I hope to see your second post.

Not entirely true, we have numerous cells running DC gun packs that are programmed to play catch up with each other in order to bring finished assemblies together in a consistent and even fashion. Whether they're ran by robots or people, doesn't matter. The guns can be programmed to install hardware however you want.

We build millions of assemblies where I work that utilize this type of technology.

Not entirely true, we have numerous cells running DC gun packs that are programmed to play catch up with each other in order to bring finished assemblies together in a consistent and even fashion. Whether they're ran by robots or people, doesn't matter. The guns can be programmed to install hardware however you want.

We build millions of assemblies where I work that utilize this type of technology.

Required complexity of torque control depends upon specific application and available technology/equipment.
In the past, some of the modern sophisticated equipment and technology, which we see now, were not available.

Last edited:
Required complexity of torque control depends upon specific application and available equipment.

Got dang it. Quit editing

I gotta keep editing :)

Anyways. Where we used to use the zero-torque process we've now changed to DC guns, of course only where it made sense from a capital investment. Most of the times these gun packs are used in conjunction with automaton in order to achieve more repeatability and better assembly costs.

Warranty and quality issues are also a big driver in investing into these types of setups.

I have and use Precision Instruments and CDI torque wrenches. I have the dial type gages with a memory pointer. I even bought the "extra precision" model which supposedly is accurate to +/- 2%.
I prefer the dial type because hand placement is not critical. Just pull the handle to get a direct read out on the dial. What you read is what it is. Their not cheap but also not too expensive.

Got dang it. Quit editing

I gotta keep editing :)

Anyways. Where we used to use the zero-torque process we've now changed to DC guns, of course only where it made sense from a capital investment. Most of the times these gun packs are used in conjunction with automaton in order to achieve more repeatability and better assembly costs.

Warranty and quality issues are also a big driver in investing into these types of setups.

Sorry about it...:p

I do want to admit that my original (first) reply in this thread was too simplistic and, for this reason, appeared to be very "one sided", causing some sort of "apples and oranges comparison" situation.

I'm certainly aware that in gunsmithing, we do not go from zero to full torque in one step. Fasteners are first "pre-tightened" as needed, than full required torque applied at the end....

However, as far as I'm concerned, it is not necessary, in most situations, to strictly control torque on this "pre-tightening" stage, just to do it with some care. In such sequence, torque limiters work great.

This is actually what I've wanted to say, but something else happened.

Last edited: