• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Traded a Re 700p for a savage Model: 10 FCP McMill

luvtoclimb1976

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Montana
I went to my local gun show and I had a Remington 700p and I love the Remington rifles but I hate the stock. I didn't want to upgrade the stock yet as I don't have quite the money to get a McMillan. Then I found a guy who was selling the Savage and would make the trade with a little money to cover the cost differance. both rifles had about the same amount put throungh them. So far I love the stock I'm just still not to sure about the Savage. I miss the Remington but I do think I probably made a good trade this time. I'll have to post pics when I get a good scope for it.

Re: Traded a Re 700p for a savage Model: 10 FCP McMill

Points awarded for humor,for tripping a 700 and swooning a milk jug handle in the "upgrade".

Much looking forward to the commentary about the base/rings/scope and then I'll be on pins and needles in regards to fodder!

Well the 700P had a H-S Precision stock that I just really did't like the palm swell of. The Savage came with a McMillan A3 and I have to say I really like it. The savage already had a one piece base on it and a dura coat finish so I just need to get the scope and rings.

I think you'll be more than happy with the Savage. I had a lot of people tell me I was nuts for going with a Savage over a 700. I did my research and the savage fit the bill perfectly. I haven't looked back since. Those same people who ragged me for the Savage purchase do not like seeing me pull it out of the case during friendly "X" shoots. Now, I'm not hating on 700's in any way, shape, form or fashion!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Points awarded for humor,for tripping a 700 and swooning a milk jug handle in the "upgrade".

Much looking forward to the commentary about the base/rings/scope and then I'll be on pins and needles in regards to fodder! </div></div>

You thawing out up there in AK, yet?

Dont sweat it. If its a factory 700, then its pretty safe to say that the Savage is more accurate, and probably sends the pills out at greater velocities.

Im not talking sh*t about 700's at all, I want one. My factory Savage goes head to head with my friends factory 700's and comes out on top everytime.

i think you mean A5 stock. nice package. you can have mcmillan add the LOP and adj cheek piece if you want. has it been bedded?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont sweat it. If its a factory 700, then its pretty safe to say that the Savage is more accurate, and probably sends the pills out at greater velocities.</div></div>

I love when folks say this.

So based on a sample of you and your friend you can make a broad sweeping statement covering all Savages and Remingtons?

Most of us who have handled and shot a larger sample of both have seen that it can go back and forth on any given comparison. However in my experience the Remington's usually will still go "bang" when the dust is blowing, the skies and coming down and it's stupid cold out. This is again comparing factory to factory. Once you start turning screws its all a matter of how much money you want to spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think you mean A5 stock. nice package. you can have mcmillan add the LOP and adj cheek piece if you want. has it been bedded? </div></div>

No I really mean an A3. I'll take some pics in the next couple days, I'll have to use the wifes camera. Its not a brand new rifle, it is used. And no its not bedded yet. I'll end up taking it to a local gunsmith and having him do that. I'm thinking of having the barrel cut down to 20 inch also.

Congrats on the Mc snag. I think you will be pleased with the deal. It is always nice to add another Savage shooter to the bunch!! Be safe and happy shooting!!

DK

no offense brother but your rifles were about equal in value. the new savage in mcmillan a5's with dbm go for about 850-950 used but the blind mag a3's for for about 700-800 which is about what a used 700p goes for. i would honestly take the the savage over the 700p anyday and i actually prefer the a3 over the a5 but they just aren't worth as much.

the key is that you are happy with the deal!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtoclimb1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to my local gun show and I had a Remington 700p and I love the Remington rifles but I hate the stock. I didn't want to upgrade the stock yet as I don't have quite the money to get a McMillan. Then I found a guy who was selling the Savage and would make the trade with a little money to cover the cost differance. both rifles had about the same amount put throungh them. So far I love the stock I'm just still not to sure about the Savage. I miss the Remington but I do think I probably made a good trade this time. I'll have to post pics when I get a good scope for it.</div></div>

YOU DID WHAT....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont sweat it. If its a factory 700, then its pretty safe to say that the Savage is more accurate, and probably sends the pills out at greater velocities.</div></div>

So based on a sample of you and your friend you can make a broad sweeping statement covering all Savages and Remingtons?

Most of us who have handled and shot a larger sample of both have seen that it can go back and forth on any given comparison. However in my experience the Remington's usually will still go "bang" when the dust is blowing, the skies and coming down and it's stupid cold out. This is again comparing factory to factory. Once you start turning screws its all a matter of how much money you want to spend. </div></div>

Not to bust balls but I will have to agree with nicolas306, I have a Savage with the McM A3 since 2004ish and it has always out shot, what I mean is velocity, any of my full custom Remys, sample of about 5 strait up apples to apples and the factory Remys were not even close.

Now that really doesn't mean shit except two random ass Savages have produced faster velocities then comparable Remington. As far as accuracy the savage I have is just as good 1/2-3/4 moa all day w/ what ever you put in it.

But who gives a shit about speed.......... and yes as others have stated I would not traded, just would have bought an A3 and moved on.
Too much work and tinkering for the savage vs. the Remy (the 350 small block of rifles)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Points awarded for humor,for tripping a 700 and swooning a milk jug handle in the "upgrade".

Much looking forward to the commentary about the base/rings/scope and then I'll be on pins and needles in regards to fodder! </div></div>

You thawing out up there in AK, yet? </div></div>
Good eye Josh! Hope you and yours are well "Dirty"....

Back on point, if the OP is happy, he got a good deal.

A deal I never would have done though. A3's are the same price as A5's by the way....

In particular,I'm enjoying how OEM Salvage and their sloppy bore dimensions,in conjunction with their sloppy SAAMI chambers,make greater speeds than bores/chambers of tighter tolerancing.

There isn't a stock made,that will make a Salvage receiver not suck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont sweat it. If its a factory 700, then its pretty safe to say that the Savage is more accurate, and probably sends the pills out at greater velocities.</div></div>

Most of us who have handled and shot a larger sample of both have seen that it can go back and forth on any given comparison. However in my experience the Remington's usually will still go "bang" when the dust is blowing, the skies and coming down and it's stupid cold out. This is again comparing factory to factory. Once you start turning screws its all a matter of how much money you want to spend. </div></div>

I love 700's just as much as the next guy. I wish I had one (or 10), but I had to get something that was really accurate out of the box, and the simple fact is, the 10fp is it. I did a lot of research, and it seemed that the 700's in the 10f price range were hit and miss. It is hard to find anyone not impressed with the accuracy of a factory 10fp, period.

I didnt post the above based soley on "he said" or "I hear". I posted that based on what I have seen and experienced. I have shot against two of my frieds factory 700's. The Savage performed better, especially when it came to velocity, which was very apparent.

I didnt say all Savages are better than 700's. Just telling the guy that he didnt trade his 700 for a piece of shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I didnt say all Savages are better than 700's. Just telling the guy that he didnt trade his 700 for a piece of shit. </div></div>

I agree there.

I will say that I don't really "love" any rifle. Not even my AI. Love is an unconditional thing. It means you revel in the strengths and turn a blind eye to the faults and weaknesses. There are many who "love" a particular make of rifle and can't come to grips when others point out the problems.

What I have seen in my experience at classes, matches and just dickin' around on the firing line is that when you compare like price points, the accuracy is similar enough to be a wash. Reliability in other than bench conditions favors the Remington.

Either rifle can be made to shoot and I won't tell someone they made a poor choice because they chose a Savage. In fact I have two in my safe right next to the Remington and other rifles that are expensive enough to make both brands cry.

I should be reviewing a couple of Savages later this year. I don't know yet if I will get a 10FCP McMillan or not, but it may be interesting.

I have 4 Savage rifles - a 10 in 308, two Axis (Axii?) in 270 for my 13-year-old sons, and a 93R thumbhole 17HMR. I also have a 700 SPS in 270. All four Savages are sub-MOA rifles, while the 700 is sometimes MOA. The Axis rifles have shot 3-round groups of 1/2" or less at 100 yards with handloads, and that was with the original 7-lb trigger (they now have Rifle Basix triggers). I like my 700, but it is hard to prefer it over a Savage. When compared to the Axis, the 700 takes an extra 2" of barrel to get the same velocities, and one Axis runs 1/2 grain less powder to get there. If that's because of sloppy tolerances, so be it, but given the bugholes they shoot a 700 might need some loosening up. I also like the ability to change barrels myself, as the model 10 will one day be a 260 Remington.

Obviously, the only person you have to satisfy is you, but I don't see a problem with your trade. Good luck!

Wow I wasn't trying to start a Savage vs Rem thread. I do miss the Rem it just would have cost alot to do everything I wanted to do to it. I don't have the money right now so it sat in a safe. I traded for the savage because I will go out and shoot it, thats all. But back to a earlier question do you all think I should cut the barrel to 20 inch?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I should be reviewing a couple of Savages later this year. I don't know yet if I will get a 10FCP McMillan or not, but it may be interesting. </div></div>

In the intrest of a review on a "budget" rifle, you should stay away from the McMillan stock. Most new guys are not going to spring for it for a first rifle.

You didn't get hurt. I love Remington and have shot lots of them. Grandparents and parents all have Remy. Remington rifles is mostly what I've bought through the years. Right now prefer a Savage out-of-the-box for many reasons. The bottom line from trying several, the unmodified Savages shoot better than the stock Remys for me. Can not say why. The Savage barrel twist in .308, .223, & .338LM is better than Remington to fly bigger bullets for a bit longer range, a tad more energy, etc. Your .308 twist rate is now 1 in 10 not 1 in 12. Just one example of where Remington doesn't seem to be moving as fast as Savage in recent times. A friend's Savage 10 FCP HS Precision and it is the most accurate rifle I've ever fired. It will do under dime sized groups at 100yds - with under 1/2 MOA continued out further. In a gun with no modifications! Zero. Nothing. Even modified Remington rifles have a hard time doing that. Keep an open mind. Expect you will grow very happy with the Savage when find a ammo load it likes and shoot it more then see how compares to the old stick. Any modification may mess up a great thing - will not know how it is now unless try it. The OOB thick barreled Savage Model 10 & 12 I've seen in action are more accurate than most.

My friend just made the switch to a savage and the chamber is nice from the factory he can load to the lands if he wants to. the remington that it replaced you could not even do it single feeding them and the chamber was so lose the brass was streaching and thin towards the base of the case after 2-3 firings not max loads. I like them both and have both my remington is at RWS getting trued and a 6.5X55 barrel.

I have a savage and i have handled some of the new remingtons im not trying to take sides or anything but i think savage is starting to surpass remington is quality, i think the reason for this is that the savage parts can be not as true and you can still get the same accuracy, with the floating bolt head you do not have to have the bore exactally in true with the bolt because they align better.

Congrats on your trade, and I'm happy you're happy with it. Savage makes a fine rifle as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some Salvage Fan Boy will denote how lopping to 20",will increase speed,as it's about the only ruse remaining. </div></div>

Um, okay? Did someone kick your little ass with a Savage, and now your feelings are hurt. I'm sorry.

You are like that annoying guy in Ford vs. Chevy discussions. Saying things like "Slomaro" or "Rustang".

do it yourself...its easy! check out

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

plenty of tutorials on how to get the most from ur new rifle

dont sweat the rem/savage argument - both are factory rifles w potential problems out of the box. the beauty of the savage is u can correct many of them yourself without payin a gunsmith

yea im a savage lover, and ive had both scary accurate ones right outta the box(my sons wally world 10FP shoots stupid tiny groups w any load), and a awful shooting 223 w tons of freebore i never could get to shoot well. easy fix on the 223...did the old 10 minute barrel change and now she shoots great as well

I'm not beating up on the Remy crew here (I have 2 Rems that I run in competition), but don't go knocking the Savages. I have a 10FP that out shoots my custom 700's any day of the week! The really cool part is it's a switch barrel .260/.308 and it runs any load I feed it just fine. Wish I could say that for my 700's. Makes me wonder why I spent all that money fixing up a 700 and didn't just go with a Savage in the first place. My only complaint with Savage is the accu-trigger. However, that can be fixed with an aftermarket for about $140.00. I have yet to have a problem with my Mod 10FP so I don't buy into all this bull$hit that Savages are not relaible. I have seen my fair share of bolt handles ripped off of some 700's at the matches I attend, so I guess my perspective might be a bit biased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Points awarded for humor,for tripping a 700 and swooning a milk jug handle in the "upgrade".

You thawing out up there in AK, yet? </div></div>

Capt!

Is that who I think it is from AK? They let him back on here?

I just got does looking at American rifleman and there were 4 recalls from Remington, a 517 rifle, a bunch of ammunition, a versamax rifle, and the ACR. this just proves that Remington needs to pick up there quality.

Well I dropped my rifle off at Underground Skunkworks. They are going to do a Skunkworks bedding, cut the barrel to 20 inchs, then thread the barrel. Might ask them to replace the trigger to. Mike was a great guy to deal with, he was cool and answered all of my questions whe I talked to him on the phone before I even arrived. Tim the manager over at OGSW was the one I talked to when I arrived at their shop and he was a great guy too. I was able to look at a couple of the builds while I was there and I know I'm saving money and getting one now. They do amazing work over there and it was impressive to say the least.

Savage makes a quality rifle, hence the reason these debates keep coming up. If you got the stock you wanted, called it good and go burn some powder. Otherwise I think you are splitting hairs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say that I don't really "love" any rifle. Not even my AI. Love is an unconditional thing. It means you revel in the strengths and turn a blind eye to the faults and weaknesses. There are many who "love" a particular make of rifle and can't come to grips when others point out the problems.</div></div>

This...

Back on topic, you made a fine trade.