Trigger options for Howa 1500

Frog05

Sure Shot Night Vision
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Southern Illinois
Is there a thread discussing trigger options on the Howa 1500’s?
If not, what options are out there?
The only ones I’m seeing are the Timney and the Jard.

***I don’t dislike the factory trigger, just curious what other options are out there since these B/A builds are pretty popular with newer shooters like myself, or guys who are limited in funds (like myself) ? ***

Rifle Basix has one for the Weatherby Vanguard (which is the same basic action as the Howa).

Personally, I prefer a modded factory trigger (slightly cut spring; plenty of info on the web) to either the Rifle Basix or Timney units. I have not tried the Jard. The Timney is close (IMO), but the modded factory piece is just SO damned nice.

Not many options — they’ve all been listed in those two posts as far as I’m aware — because Howas are still a smaller market and because the stock HACT trigger is so damn good, esp with a little (easy) modding.

I won’t buy an aftermarket trigger for any of my Howas other than a dedicated long range rifle, and even for that one I’ll be waiting until Trigger Tech starts making a Howa-compatible Diamond :)

Reallllllly hard to describe, but the biggest difference (and keep in mind I’ve not tried a Timney in a 700 platform, only an AR platform along with a TT in that rifle too) is overtravel followed by less consistent break weight. TT wins in both camps, by a good margin. The diamond in a 700 was the best precision trigger I’ve ever felt.

I will note I have never tried a jard or a jewell, and have heard good things about both especially the jewell, but I have felt most of the others for bolt rifles (and all of them in an AR platform).

If they ever make a TT Diamond for Howas I’ll have one out of the first batch. Otherwise I don’t see ~$120 of improvement from the Timney to the HACT. Or $50 for that matter.

Whether you’re limited in funds (like me) or not, I would just (carefully) mod the trigger spring.... specifically the actuator spring. Trigger pulls down into the 1# range can be had. I tend to set mine to 2# and rock em out.

The quality of the pull doesn’t change with lightening the pull weight. It’ll still be a nice, clean pull.