• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tripod purchase advise

thexman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
I am thinking to get a tripod this coming Black Friday/Christmas sale, but not sure what specs I should be looking at. Head type/Adapter etc? Weight is not really important factor unless it's something really heavy to carry between car and shooting spot(normally withing 200 meters range).

Budget wise don't really have any idea about what a reasonable price and really good quality one would cost. So I am opening to all recommendations.

Will use the tripod for spotting scope, range finder, phone/camera recording purpose for now.

Thank you.

RRS seems to be the standard, and they’re not cheap. I enjoy Leofoto tripods for the value, but there are tons of other brands out there.
Thank you.

I think I did see others mentioned reallyrightstuff tripod before. Yeah, they are not cheap, but for sure the price reflects the quality.

Lot’s of discussion on tripods in recent threads. Use the search function and I am sure you will be reading for hours. Your question is almost too open ended to tackle.
I actually did search before I made this post.

Not sure what specifications I should be looking for, don't want to buy one then find out oh, the adapter or the mounting head type doesn't match my equipment and I need to spend additional XX-XXX amount of money for another adapter etc. Trying to understanding what kind of things I should keep my eyes on to make my decision.

But thanks for your reply.

Reactions: codym
Yeah. Just a heads up it isn’t an easy process...
I tried starting with the Amazon stuff and made my way all the way to RRS. I really did try and make less expensive stuff work.
If RRS is in your budget then look at the Anvil set up. NO ONE makes a lighter more compact tripod set up. Having said that the RRS BH25 ball head does work better for spotters. It’s definitely smoother to move and thus easier to use. Down side is you won’t find deals on RRS. Even on Black Friday.
For maximum stability from other companies I’d recommend a ball head and Arca connection. Innorel, LeoFoto, Colorado Tripod Company are worth a look. Impressed with my little LeoFoto that use for my LabRadar or Spotter while sitting. Colorado Tripod does have a new shooting tripod that worth a look.
Bottom line. You want Arca/Swiss connections for all your gear.

Reactions: thexman
Leophoto 364? If you don't mind it being a little heavier and made in the Communist Republic of China. I almost bought the leophoto this spring myself. Few PRS buddies of mine use and enjoy them.

But at last minute I decided to buy the lighter, higher quality, American made tripod. After four years of PRS, I can say the RRS with Anvil head was one of the best equipment decisions I have made. F China.

??

Innorel RT90C and a leveling head or ball head of your choice. I'd go RRS for that. If you can afford the complete RRS setup, do it. I do think that if you want to save, save on the tripod and spend on the leveling head or ball head. The good w/ RRS is that it usually resells quickly for a minimal loss.

Yeah. Just a heads up it isn’t an easy process...
I tried starting with the Amazon stuff and made my way all the way to RRS. I really did try and make less expensive stuff work.
If RRS is in your budget then look at the Anvil set up. NO ONE makes a lighter more compact tripod set up. Having said that the RRS BH25 ball head does work better for spotters. It’s definitely smoother to move and thus easier to use. Down side is you won’t find deals on RRS. Even on Black Friday.
For maximum stability from other companies I’d recommend a ball head and Arca connection. Innorel, LeoFoto, Colorado Tripod Company are worth a look. Impressed with my little LeoFoto that use for my LabRadar or Spotter while sitting. Colorado Tripod does have a new shooting tripod that worth a look.
Bottom line. You want Arca/Swiss connections for all your gear.
Thanks a lot for the details. Will check all those products mentioned above.

Leophoto 364? If you don't mind it being a little heavier and made in the Communist Republic of China. I almost bought the leophoto this spring myself. Few PRS buddies of mine use and enjoy them.

But at last minute I decided to buy the lighter, higher quality, American made tripod. After four years of PRS, I can say the RRS with Anvil head was one of the best equipment decisions I have made. F China.

??
Weight doesn't matter to me or at least not that significant for a short distant. And I mainly use it for non-shooting equipment, so as long as it works.

Seems Leofoto isn't cheap at all if made in China means budget option. I might give it a try, but will use RRS as a benchmark to compare if the extra cost also availability worth it.

Reactions: mrtoyz
Innorel RT90C and a leveling head or ball head of your choice. I'd go RRS for that. If you can afford the complete RRS setup, do it. I do think that if you want to save, save on the tripod and spend on the leveling head or ball head. The good w/ RRS is that it usually resells quickly for a minimal loss.
Thank you.

That's something I am looking for. Is there any specific specs I should pay attention on the leveling/ball head in terms of performance, compatibility etc.?

Thank you.

That's something I am looking for. Is there any specific specs I should pay attention on the leveling/ball head in terms of performance, compatibility etc.?
I forgot to mention level head. Good option. Tried the Feisol (another company that makes good tripods) did not function well, wasn’t smooth. Yet again RRS is at the top of the heap. That’s what makes the difference, one brand to another, smoothness.
As far as specs go. Weight ratings and ArcA compatibly are the biggies.

sonichanchiao, the Innorel RT90C bundle and the 52mm ball head has been a pretty good combo for me and can all be had for under $400. High weight rating, solid lockup, and very stable at all distances.

It may not be RRS quality but it gets you most of the way there for a lot less $$$. It just depends on what you can afford and how much you are willing to pay for just a little more capability. You can’t go wrong with any of the suggestions provided here. Have fun researching!

Innorel RT90C Tripod coupled with an Innorel 52mm or 44mm head is a reasonable and sturdy option if you are looking for a stable and cost effective platform and are not overly worried about weight.

my rifle has a full lenth lower picatinny rail.

if santa gets me these things, does she also need to get an QD adapter of some kind if i want to put the rifle on it?
i realized the other day that a "typical" tripod is worthless for a spotting scope at long ranges.

something like this?

Last edited:
my rifle has a full lenth lower picatinny rail.

if santa gets me these things, does she also need to get an QD adapter of some kind if i want to put the rifle on it?
i realized the other day that a "typical" tripod is worthless for a spotting scope at long ranges.

something like this?
Get an anvil-30 ballhead and you can use either pic or dovetail.

The other plus side to buying an RRS is you can always sell it if you decide you don’t like it or “don’t need it,” and get most your money back. They seem to have good resale value on this forum and are sold pretty quickly. I guess you could do this with the other brands as well but the RRS tripods seem to go quick on the PX.

I recently dropped the coin for a RRS 24L with a Anvil-30 head. Used it at my first field match this weekend where it was deployed on every stage in sitting, kneeing, and standing shooting positions.

Was light enough not to be noticed on the hike, stable enough to score hits out to 800 yards, and durable enough dirt/dust didn't cause any problems. I ended up scoring 107/140 possible points and I credit the tripod for doing most of the work. It's totally worth dropping the coin on the RRS gear if you plan on using it a lot and espically for shooting off of.

Reactions: deersniper
Thank you.

There's A LOT of options out there. Things to consider are; weight, angle of inclination, capacity, how it connects to the tripod.

Because there's so many options on tripods in regards to the fulcrum/connection point, you almost need to know what you want before you buy. Some of it will mix and match and some won't. If it's a simple thread on connection, like a camera, then it should be pretty universal. If your tripod supports a bowl, the bowl size will matter. I've seen adapters and heard of people 'shimming' but this doesn't play well with me.

For example, I have the Innorel RT90C but wanted a specific RRS leveling head. I needed a TA-U-LC NOT a TA-2-LC. Basically the same but the TA-2-LC will attach in a bowl in place of the plate where the TA-U-LC attaches on top of the plate in the bowl. You may be able to attache the TA-2-LC on top, but not sure and I wanted the additional contact of the larger lower plate and security Allen head nut.

Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about by looking at the two pictures below.

This is a really sturdy yet light and very quick set up. The downside is angle of inclination. You can't get much angle up or down. Not really an issue unless you need some extreme angles. For that I'd suggest the Anvil 30 ball head. It seems to be the choice du jour but may be limited to what tripods it will work with due to how it attaches. Not sure because I haven't had one in hand to see. See third pic below.

I have a clone BH-55 that works very well. The Amazon reviews state it operates nearly the same as the RRS version but I doubt and hope it doesn't. It's fine for a <$200 ball head vs. the $500 RRS version (last pic). Their cons are weight and cost (RRS). The angles and panning or limitless. There are smaller versions too (BH-40 & 30). My personal recommendation would to be get the RRS first. I'd recommend either of the TA's, I just bought a TA-U, or the Anvil 30. I 'think' I shot off an Anvil 30 a few months ago and it was awesome. I was not familiar with it at the time and its sturdiness vs. its size was impressive.

It's really about budget and spending more on your tripod than rifle or scope is daunting. As I stated above, the RRS ball heads/leveling heads seem to sell quickly and for top dollar. But they are sub $500 and usually sub $300. The tripods are a different ball of wax. You're double to triple if not quadruple those numbers. Harder to find a buyer w/ the kind of money who just wouldn't rather spend a few extra hundred to get one new. When you're spending $1500 on a tripod you might prefer to not save $100. So I'd imagine you'd have to discount the tripod a bit more. That's just an assumption on my part though. I can tell you I've been very happy w/ my Innorel and I've talked to others who are also very pleased. Especially at the price.

TA-U-LC-SOAR-UNIVERSAL-LEVELING-BASE-WITH-CLAMP.THUMBNAIL-01.png

TA-2-LC-SOAR-SERIES-2-LEVELING-BASE-WITH-CLAMP.THUMBNAIL-01.png

ANVIL-30-BALLHEAD.3-01.png

BH-55-LR-SOAR-SERIES-BALLHEAD.THUMBNAIL-01.jpeg

There's A LOT of options out there. Things to consider are; weight, angle of inclination, capacity, how it connects to the tripod.

Because there's so many options on tripods in regards to the fulcrum/connection point, you almost need to know what you want before you buy. Some of it will mix and match and some won't. If it's a simple thread on connection, like a camera, then it should be pretty universal. If your tripod supports a bowl, the bowl size will matter. I've seen adapters and heard of people 'shimming' but this doesn't play well with me.

For example, I have the Innorel RT90C but wanted a specific RRS leveling head. I needed a TA-U-LC NOT a TA-2-LC. Basically the same but the TA-2-LC will attach in a bowl in place of the plate where the TA-U-LC attaches on top of the plate in the bowl. You may be able to attache the TA-2-LC on top, but not sure and I wanted the additional contact of the larger lower plate and security Allen head nut.

Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about by looking at the two pictures below.

This is a really sturdy yet light and very quick set up. The downside is angle of inclination. You can't get much angle up or down. Not really an issue unless you need some extreme angles. For that I'd suggest the Anvil 30 ball head. It seems to be the choice du jour but may be limited to what tripods it will work with due to how it attaches. Not sure because I haven't had one in hand to see. See third pic below.

I have a clone BH-55 that works very well. The Amazon reviews state it operates nearly the same as the RRS version but I doubt and hope it doesn't. It's fine for a <$200 ball head vs. the $500 RRS version (last pic). Their cons are weight and cost (RRS). The angles and panning or limitless. There are smaller versions too (BH-40 & 30). My personal recommendation would to be get the RRS first. I'd recommend either of the TA's, I just bought a TA-U, or the Anvil 30. I 'think' I shot off an Anvil 30 a few months ago and it was awesome. I was not familiar with it at the time and its sturdiness vs. its size was impressive.

It's really about budget and spending more on your tripod than rifle or scope is daunting. As I stated above, the RRS ball heads/leveling heads seem to sell quickly and for top dollar. But they are sub $500 and usually sub $300. The tripods are a different ball of wax. You're double to triple if not quadruple those numbers. Harder to find a buyer w/ the kind of money who just wouldn't rather spend a few extra hundred to get one new. When you're spending $1500 on a tripod you might prefer to not save $100. So I'd imagine you'd have to discount the tripod a bit more. That's just an assumption on my part though. I can tell you I've been very happy w/ my Innorel and I've talked to others who are also very pleased. Especially at the price.

View attachment 7191471
View attachment 7191472

View attachment 7191473

View attachment 7191478
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Two pics of my current set up.

DLOW 55 ball head (RRS clone) It's pushed to the edge of the ball head. There's two slots to get more angle if needed. This is outstanding for tinkering with your rifle as well. I shoot very well, usually :geek:, with this set up.

Edit: This is the RT80C before I sent it back for the 90. One of the legs came out when extending it and I couldn't put it back together properly. At least I didn't think I did. It worked after I "repaired" it but I wasn't confident and decided to return it while I still could. I'll take the little extra weight and bulk of the 90. It's beefy.

IMG_0297.jpeg

RRS TA leveling head. It's tilted as far forward as it goes. You can see it's a HUGE difference to the BH55 clone above. The Anvil 30 fills the void between these two and why it's so popular. I haven't shot of this set up yet but I don't believe I'll be hindered by the lack of angle. Time will tell.

IMG_0629.jpeg

Reactions: Tokay444
What do you all think about this versus a pig saddle? I have a cheap Bogen tripod with a pig saddle but just found a cheap rc22 head that the Larue picatinny Mount will work on. I don’t want to switch to Arca at this time.

A6A9ECA6-D3C4-46AA-A571-DED2ABEAE22B.png
72EE1467-B513-4D9E-914D-05B1DA111536.png
506A766B-4ECA-4E8C-AC2E-D7F8531348BA.png

I've used all 3 (above, saddle, and arca) the larue was the least stable of all-it flexed a lot), the saddle came in 2nd, and as others have noted the RRS anvil is hard to beat. That being said, I still prefer the Manfrotto for my spotter setup. It's very fast to get on target.

As a former pro photographer, at a point, there’s no substitute for weight. After using an aluminum Manafrotto during a very windy day with a Hasselblad, I found out that even though the setup seemed stable through the viewfinder, the pics were blurry. The wind vibrated the legs!

I realize that carbon fiber will be better than aluminum, but really, a big heavy wood tripod is the best. The difference (weight+wood) is profound. Think of the tripods that surveyors use.

The two wooden tripod companies that spring to mind are Berlebach (German) and Ries (USA). I have a Ries because of the way the legs lock. You don’t need a chain like on a surveyor‘s tripod.

Also, with a big heavy tripod, it tends NOT to blow over the dang second you take eyes off it.

Man up!

Ok, just kidding about manning up. But you can’t beat the carbon tripods for portability + stability. And everything RRS makes is good; they’ve been in the photo game a long time and I use their products in that arena.

I am thinking to get a tripod this coming Black Friday/Christmas sale, but not sure what specs I should be looking at. Head type/Adapter etc? Weight is not really important factor unless it's something really heavy to carry between car and shooting spot(normally withing 200 meters range).

Budget wise don't really have any idea about what a reasonable price and really good quality one would cost. So I am opening to all recommendations.

Will use the tripod for spotting scope, range finder, phone/camera recording purpose for now.

Thank you.

I went through this and then read the best review of various tripods and heads I have seen by one of our members @Diver160651. Read it and then go buy an RRS. If you don't use it, you won't take a bath like you will on the others.

Here is the link

RRS Leveling Heads

Lol you sound like my buddies. Are they worth it for cull hunting and target shooting ? I don’t do prs

I mostly just use a 12-25 Harris. But I found this Bogen someone put out for trash and it’s works good with the saddle.

View attachment 7194267

Yes they are, the stability of a 3 series RRS and BH-55LR ball head is stupid.

Your ass also won't pucker leaving a $10K 20lbs rifle setup on it (or $20K with clip on), wondering if it's gonna buckle.

It'll make those other ones seem like fucking with a limp dick, and that's just not fun for anyone.

Just hang your pack off the hook to add weight or use a stone bag and fill it w/ rocks when you set up.

View attachment 7194217

This always sounds like a good idea, until the stuff you hang under the tripod starts blowing/shaking around (think sail). Or worse, falls off. Or if you want to move the ‘pod and the extra weight flops the opposite way you’re trying to go. Or the one place you set up only has mud for weight.

The device in the pic you posted looks nice, but will pull your tripod inwards unless you have spiked feet placed deep in the ground. And it takes time to load up the tripod each time.

In short, adding weight to tripods only makes sense if you hike with the thing, requiring a light tripod. If you never hike with it, go heavy. I know it sounds dumb, but man, a heavy wood tripod is a luxury. You just don’t worry about the thing like a dainty featherlight carbon wonder. Sand in the joints? Psshaw! Salt water? Yawn. Just rinse the metal feet (or not). Mud? Hose time. Hitting rocks? Meh.

This always sounds like a good idea, until the stuff you hang under the tripod starts blowing/shaking around (think sail). Or worse, falls off. Or if you want to move the ‘pod and the extra weight flops the opposite way you’re trying to go. Or the one place you set up only has mud for weight.

The device in the pic you posted looks nice, but will pull your tripod inwards unless you have spiked feet placed deep in the ground. And it takes time to load up the tripod each time.

In short, adding weight to tripods only makes sense if you hike with the thing, requiring a light tripod. If you never hike with it, go heavy. I know it sounds dumb, but man, a heavy wood tripod is a luxury. You just don’t worry about the thing like a dainty featherlight carbon wonder. Sand in the joints? Psshaw! Salt water? Yawn. Just rinse the metal feet (or not). Mud? Hose time. Hitting rocks? Meh.
If you are going to go wood and heavy go all the way. Make a tripod out of 4x4's. It'll be solid and won't blow away. You would never hike with it for sure. And it is even more carbon based!

Reactions: carbonbased
i almost never go cheap, or even mid-priced, but i am still not able to justify spending so much on something that is probably going to hold a spotting scope most of the time. i know it is just a matter of time, but at this point, i would only need to put the rifle on it for zombies, or if i just want to look at my shit and admire it. (i don't compete or anything).

i almost never go cheap, or even mid-priced, but i am still not able to justify spending so much on something that is probably going to hold a spotting scope most of the time. i know it is just a matter of time, but at this point, i would only need to put the rifle on it for zombies, or if i just want to look at my shit and admire it. (i don't compete or anything).

Leofoto 364C with a Leofoto LH-55 ball head should be plenty then.

Leofoto 364C with a Leofoto LH-55 ball head should be plenty then.
thanks, i'll looks into those.
can you also recommend a picatinny rail adapter or are they all pretty much equivalent?
tbh, i don't even know how much of my money the wife is willing to spend on me. :unsure:

Can anyone verify that RRS tripods are made in the USA? And if so, are they 'assembled' or completely manufactured in the USA too?

Yes we are 100% manufactured, assembled, designed, and raw sourced from USA. Also have only USA customer service reps so you don't have to worry about the language barrier if you ever call in.

Yes we are 100% manufactured, assembled, designed, and raw sourced from USA. Also have only USA customer service reps so you don't have to worry about the language barrier if you ever call in.

RRS, do you offer any shipping discounts for Hide members? I was keeping an eye on Black Friday but didn’t see anything. I need to order a few more Arca adapters.