• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Tripod recommendation

Devildogs55 , how does the RRS levelling base attach to the Feisol 3342 ?
Any additional hardware to purchase , or just the base and tripod ? ( and ARCA plates )
Time for me to upgrade my ancient Manfrotto / saddle setup , most likely to
the same setup you are running .

Devildogs55 , how does the RRS levelling base attach to the Feisol 3342 ?
Any additional hardware to purchase , or just the base and tripod ? ( and ARCA plates )
Time for me to upgrade my ancient Manfrotto / saddle setup , most likely to
the same setup you are running .

RRS makes two leveling bases that I'm aware of. One is made for RRS tripods, and the other is the one I linked in my post. It's a universal leveling base, and it is a direct drop in to the 3342. No other parts needed. Installation takes 20-30 seconds. You can also add an extension to it if you want so it can go a bit higher. The tripod is as tall as I am - so I don't ever need one. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about it.

only downside is that the tripod legs won't go inverted with the leveling base installed because the base is wider than the tripod. If you want to put it all together and slip it into the factory bag.. it won't fit.

The legs on the 3342 go 180 - the only time there's trouble is if you have the RRS leveling base on it and want to go 180 at the same time.

RRS makes two leveling bases that I'm aware of. One is made for RRS tripods, and the other is the one I linked in my post. It's a universal leveling base, and it is a direct drop in to the 3342. No other parts needed. Installation takes 20-30 seconds. You can also add an extension to it if you want so it can go a bit higher. The tripod is as tall as I am - so I don't ever need one. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about it.

only downside is that the tripod legs won't go inverted with the leveling base installed because the base is wider than the tripod. If you want to put it all together and slip it into the factory bag.. it won't fit.

Many thanks , good info much appreciated .

Their use of the term fluid may just be describing a small amount of drag that their unit has inherently (from the weight of the equipment) since the aluminum inverted dome moves in a plastic cup (at least as I understand it) whereas the Feisol unit is hard anodized aluminum sliding in hard anodized aluminum which has practically no friction at all when unlocked.

Correct, it is a drag that allows the "fluid" movement. The RRS leveling base though is extremely smooth across the tension settings, giving it a fluid like tracking feel as it traverses through it's range of motion. It's one of the nice things about using one to glass fields with your rifle optics, and quickly lock on to a target.

So on the high end RRS with leveling base you are looking at $1300 ish retail. Feisol 3372 with RRS leveling base around $800 ish.

Is there a difference absolutly if you are planning to shoot standing for sub moa accuracy. If you are shooting min of pig you can do fine with a tripod with more flex. Thats really what it boils down to is flex. The bigger tripods simply dont move they are rock solid.

Think its safe to say that more bad guys have been taken out by manfrotto 190/ hog saddle than any other rig out there. So they obviouly work in that application.

Really boils down to application and budget.

Be mindful of weight capacity and go as high as possible. Manfrotto's are rated around 15-16 lbs, very noticable difference next to Feisol rated at 55lb.

The Feisol 3372 has a 66 pound weight capacity vs the RRS 50 pound capacity. I went the Feisol direction and saved at least $500. I did go the RRS level head, and to be honest that Feisol 3372 with a RRS TA-U-LC is one hell of a setup.

I tried an RRS tripod and leveling head over the weekend and will say that it's pretty awesome. Hitting steel at 600 standing was very impressive especially as bad as I shake. I will eventually have one but I spent enough this year on guns

The Feisol 3372 has a 66 pound weight capacity vs the RRS 50 pound capacity. I went the Feisol direction and saved at least $500. I did go the RRS level head, and to be honest that Feisol 3372 with a RRS TA-U-LC is one hell of a setup.

The RRS capacity is a lot higher than 50. 50lbs is what the smallest leg collar on the tripod can support by itself with the weight applied completely vertical. Their testing methods give a much more conservative number than what it's really capable of supporting.